Snow is actually a pretty good insulating material. For example, in our cold climates, when the ground is covered with snow the depth of frost penetration into the ground during the winter is significantly reduced relative to areas with no snow cover.
- Question is, how will the snow cover on the roof of your Escape impact life inside your Escape after a heavy snowfall?
- Will the deep snow on the roof help to slow down the rate of heat loss from your Escape so that your furnace does not need to work as hard?
- Will the heat loss through the roof of your Escape melt the snow on the roof?
- Is there any difference in the answers to these questions if your Escape has extra insulation?
- Is there only one correct answer to these questions?
I am starting to regret cutting classes on the day we discussed this in my thermodynamics class in University.