Irma - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2017, 12:28 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I Am in Oak Ridge, TN, about 40 miles west of the Smoky Mountains. Winds here are projected to be 20 to 30 MPH tomorrow, with lots of rain. Irma's eye passed directly over my house around 2:30 am as a strong category 1. A friend of mine who had to evacuate from further south tells me the power is out, but I only had 1 tree come down, but did not hit anything. Lots of twigs and debris in the yard, but no damage to the house. I guess I am very fortunate. Once I get word that power has been restored, I will head home and start cleaning up.
Good to hear Campsite #1 has not been hit too hard.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 12:30 PM   #22

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quite something. Hope everyone is safe!
Can someone tell me if the airport in Orlando is still open? (Son booked flight a month ago, suppose to fly tomorrow, but already cancelled car rental and accommodations. Still waiting on info about his flight from Toronto to Orlando, which he hopes will be canceled.)
Old 09-11-2017, 01:05 PM   #23

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
Quite something. Hope everyone is safe!
Can someone tell me if the airport in Orlando is still open? (Son booked flight a month ago, suppose to fly tomorrow, but already cancelled car rental and accommodations. Still waiting on info about his flight from Toronto to Orlando, which he hopes will be canceled.)
Our daughter has friends staying at Disney who could not get out of Orlando before the storm. They have stayed at their resort which hasn't even had a power failure. They plan to fly out on their booked flight Friday. However do not know how things are at Orlando today. We now plan to go visit them on Wednesday, just hoping highways not too bad i.e. not all the Floridians wanting to head home at once We'll be traveling normally what's a six hour drive to Disney from Columbus GA.

We just experienced an hour long power failure but it's back on now. Still raining heavily and winds gusting higher all the time.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 06:53 PM   #24

Trailer: None now
The campsite at Perry was getting windier and windier with heavy rain. I then heard a loud thud and looked out at a large tree that just missed the trailer, the branches hit but did no damage. So I loaded up to move out into the driveway.
While there I checked the Windy APP and noticed if I left ASAP I would be between squalls. So we decided what the heck and went for it. Apparently quite a few others had the same idea so there was moderate traffic on I-75.
One thing that could have been a real problem. From about 100 miles in George all the way down to Venice there was no fuel. We would see cars at a station and go there and find they were out of gas and waiting for it to get fuel.
We off and on checked and watched gas buddy . Luckily I had 4 5 gallon cans of fuel so by babying it I made it home with a bit less than 1/8th of a tank left. We have power ( YAY!! ) lots of fence down, 2 oaks need removed and some heavy trimming on a couple others and a yard full of debis.
And lots of other plants like bananas will need cut back as they bent over .
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 06:56 PM   #25

We had minor storm surge, I can see the line of debris in the back where it came up to maybe the 7 foot level in the yard. All in all I'd say were were lucky
Old 09-11-2017, 07:06 PM   #26

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
We had minor storm surge, I can see the line of debris in the back where it came up to maybe the 7 foot level in the yard. All in all I'd say were were lucky
Glad you are back home, safe and sound, and that all is well - mostly....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 07:11 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
T
One thing that could have been a real problem. From about 100 miles in George all the way down to Venice there was no fuel. We would see cars at a station and go there and find they were out of gas and waiting for it to get fuel.
We off and on checked and watched gas buddy . Luckily I had 4 5 gallon cans of fuel so by babying it I made it home with a bit less than 1/8th of a tank left. We have power ( YAY!! ) lots of fence down, 2 oaks need removed and some heavy trimming on a couple others and a yard full of debis.
And lots of other plants like bananas will need cut back as they bent over .
Ken and Karen how was the jackfruit? We are considering making the trip to Disney postponed from today until Wed. (starting in Columbus GA) do you think there may be still problems getting fuel Wednesday and will there be a rush of Floridians heading home?

Adrian
Old 09-11-2017, 07:22 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Ken and Karen how was the jackfruit? We are considering making the trip to Disney postponed from today until Wed. (starting in Columbus GA) do you think there may be still problems getting fuel Wednesday and will there be a rush of Floridians heading home?

Adrian
The large one smashed itself against the trunk and broke off and was laying in the yard. I found 3 of the smaller ones still on the tree so they should get real big. That is if there are no more storms.
I'd watch the news. Apparently they are posting national guards in Miami as there is no fuel and they are afraid folks will start shooting each other. Or at least that's what the folks at Fox news said.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:01 PM   #29

Trailer: 2012 Escape-19
Sebring House

The neighborhood had major wind/tree damage. I lost a very large oak on the side property line and it took out my mature palm tree along with two electric service poles supplying service for the entire block. Everything just missed my tool shed and utility trailer but limbs and electrical wires are everywhere. Last spring I had two very large hollow oaks removed from the front yard. If they had not been removed they would have crushed the house if they had fallen in the direction of all the other blown over trees. I had another tree in the rear corner of the house that I had trimmed up last fall. One limb came off that tree and brushed my carport and another limb fell and hit the neighbors house and did a little damage. Our house had no damage we were really lucky. My neighbor said stay in Va. They don't expect to have power for 3-4 weeks. The good news is I have been trying for two years to get one of the power poles replaced because it was rotten.
Eddie
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:27 PM   #30

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Floridians going home:

Please be careful. As you probably know, most injuries occur during the cleanup period after the storm, mainly from people dancing with chainsaws.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:00 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Please be careful. As you probably know, most injuries occur during the cleanup period after the storm, mainly from people dancing with chainsaws.

I could make money if I wanted to!
I strapped on my hooks and grabbed a ladder belt and some rope and the chainsaw and went up a tree to remove the large branch that was preventing me from entering the driveway. People were stopping and wanting to know when I would be able to go to their houses. Sorry, I only do my own and wow did that take a toll on my thighs!!
The rest of the big stuff I may pay someone else to do but I wanted access to the driveway.
Speaking of dancing with chainsaws

Old 09-12-2017, 04:28 PM   #32

Well went to check on our trailer this afternoon and it made it through without issue, just a few branches scattered around. The tree we expected to fall behind the house here on post is still standing as well. The storm was not really very bad at all.

Here's hoping that everyone heading home to FL finds things not too bad at home.

Adrian
Old 09-12-2017, 07:33 PM   #33

We are fine, just lots of tree limbs and 2 oak trees that need removed. Since the county just announced they will haul all storm debris that we stack along the property line I am going to be busy for the next week.
They charged me $1200 each to cut up and haul away 2 oaks a couple weeks ago. I would not try dropping a tree but since these are already on their sides and they are not massive I figure I'll save the money.

I feel sorry for the older couple that live down from us. Theirs was one of the first homes in the area and it's at road grade of about 5.75 feet. 2 weeks ago we had around 17 inches of rain which put about a foot of water on the road and in their house. Apparently what I thought may have been storm surge was 7 or 8 inches or rain in a few hours so they ended up with about 2 feet of water in their home this time. My next door neighbor said the street looked like a river.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:21 PM   #34

Trailer: 21' Escape (June 2014)
My brother lives about a mile from the beach in Bonita Springs, FL and the eye of Irma passed directly overhead soon after making landfall. The only damage they had was the loss of the screens on their pool cover. My son lives in Largo, in the Tampa area, and they had no damage to their house either. Both were very fortunate. Irma caused us to have a three-day delay to a rental we had secured for our 50th wedding anniversary on St. George Island, but once we got there it was beautiful and no signs of damage anywhere.

We have a cruise scheduled with a port of call in Key West on October 12th; the company first told us that port call was cancelled, but an email received today said that Key West will start receiving cruise ships again starting this Sunday, the 24th. It should be interesting to see how it's changed since our last visit there in March.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote