Is insulation worth it for a Texan - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2016, 09:54 AM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
I echo the suggestion to get the insulation and thermal windows. We did not get the foam sprayed on the bottom, for reasons also already stated. (Access to the bottom, mostly.) I also figured if the floor's "too cold," I can always get a fairly small carpet remnant to take care of it - but we also have dogs and so far, it's been okay with just a couple of scatter rugs and dog beds.

Camping in Colorado last summer (off the grid) the insulation definitely helped: mornings were mid-to-low 40's (F).

Old 12-21-2016, 10:31 AM   #12

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
I would recommend both the spray foam and the insulation with the thermal windows. A trailer is a mobile unit and can encounter a wide variety of climates while traveling. The heat of the desert or the cold up in the mountains, all in one day. It also keeps the noise down and would be a big plus if you want to sell your trailer. We got all of the insulation options plus the tank heating pads as our 21 is out early in the spring and late in the fall. Loren

Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:40 AM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2018 F150 2.7L Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
I would recommend both the spray foam and the insulation with the thermal windows. A trailer is a mobile unit and can encounter a wide variety of climates while traveling. The heat of the desert or the cold up in the mountains, all in one day. It also keeps the noise down and would be a big plus if you want to sell your trailer. We got all of the insulation options plus the tank heating pads as our 21 is out early in the spring and late in the fall. Loren
Not to disagree with you Loren, but I don't think the spray foam will make any difference if you decide to sell the trailer, especially in a market like South Texas. Casita for instance is the top selling fiberglass trailer in Texas, and spray foam (or the ability to camp in freezing weather) isn't part of the equation. Even in colder climates, a used Escape will sell quickly without the spray foam.

I think you get it if you intend to camp where it goes below freezing. If you don't have it, you can always have it added, unlike the insulation and thermal window package.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:50 AM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 2ndG Escape 21'LE DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
But over on FGRV, Casita owners are always trying to make their campers warmer for winter use, something Escape owners do not need to worry about. Single pane windows, tank exposure, cold floors are some of their weakness in cold weather.
Old 12-21-2016, 01:21 PM   #15

Trailer: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
But over on FGRV, Casita owners are always trying to make their campers warmer for winter use, something Escape owners do not need to worry about. Single pane windows, tank exposure, cold floors are some of their weakness in cold weather.
I own a 2013 Casita and have to agree with Jim 100% .
Dripping windows , cold walls , water running down the bathroom walls , damp bedding , frozen plumbing and having your shoes freeze to the floor are all issues which we have encountered with our trailer. Casita unlike Escape does not offer an insulation / window upgrade , possibly because they are built in Texas and most people buying a Casita live in temperate climates
To be fair Casita does not promote it's trailer as 4 season or even 3 season in colder climates .
If and when we buy an Escape , the insulation / window option will be at the top of our priority list . The ability to prolong ones camping season more than compensates for the slight increase in cost.
In the overall picture the additional cost for insulation when compared to the total cost of the trailer is minor . I have often wondered why people will spend large sums of money on decorative options and then balk at the price of mechanical structural options that have a real effect on the usability of their trailer. I will admit that I am a form following function individual ,
who does not know or care much about decorating or color schemes.

Happy Holidaysf
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 02:11 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
In the overall picture the additional cost for insulation when compared to the total cost of the trailer is minor . I have often wondered why people will spend large sums of money on decorative options and then balk at the price of mechanical structural options that have a real effect on the usability of their trailer. I will admit that I am a form following function individual ,
who does not know or care much about decorating or color schemes.

Happy Holidaysf
Steve, I really have to agree with you there. When I ordered my tow truck, it was heavy duty everything before all of the fancy options available. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 02:14 PM   #17
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2018 F150 2.7L Ecoboost
I'm not arguing the virtues of the insulation and thermal window package for a Texan. I'm endorsing it. The only question I'm raising is the need for spray foam underneath, which we haven't needed at all. We just don't camp where it's cold. Much depends on geography.
Old 12-21-2016, 02:23 PM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 2ndG Escape 21'LE DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
I like to have my gloves match my hat and shoes....whether needed or not.
Old 12-21-2016, 02:27 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 - June 27, 2017
A lot depends on where you plan to travel but the thermal windows and extra insulation can't easily be added later.

The spray foam under the trailer can be and there are alternatives. Here is an option for insulating under the trailer that we are intrigued by.

Adding underfloor insulation
rjbny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 02:37 PM   #20

Trailer: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I'm not arguing the virtues of the insulation and thermal window package for a Texan. I'm endorsing it. The only question I'm raising is the need for spray foam underneath, which we haven't needed at all. We just don't camp where it's cold. Much depends on geography.
Are we talking Texas cold or Minnesota cold ?
The wall insulation / thermal windows are a benefit in both Texas heat and Minnesota cool . We too have debated the value of the spray foam insulation in that it may only extend our camping season a rather insignificant amount of time and requires us to camp where electricity is available . We use our trailer for deer hunting when the temps are often in the single digits / below zero and the spray foam would be of little value in those weather conditions where as the wall insulation / thermal windows would still be of benefit .
If the spray foam / tank heaters would make an Escape a true 4 season trailer , I would gladly pay for / choose that option.

steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote