Is insulation worth it for a Texan - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-21-2016, 07:46 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
Is insulation worth it for a Texan

We've added tons of stuff to our build sheet and didn't think we needed the insulation since we live in the south. Now I am wondering if it would help. Anyone have any advice on this!
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 07:54 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Insulation helps in hot weather as it does in cold. Also, do you have any plans to travel to places with colder weather?

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 08:14 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yes, I agree, insulation protects you from the variables outside, either hot or cold. In addition it also makes it more quiet inside, hot or cold. Thermal windows, extra insulation, foam spray, all will help with this.
Old 12-21-2016, 08:17 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Yeppers, insulation helps with all temperatures. What it does is inhibits the movement of heat, whether outward in cold weather, or inward during hot periods.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 08:56 AM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Casita (Sold) 2017 Escape 21
Not sure if it's a viable/wise decision, but we decided to forego the spray foam at this time because a) I like to goof around with mods and wanted access to the bottom and b) I'm hoping it can be added later if we decide we want it. We do camp in below freezing weather periodically so we understand that will have to be truly "dry" camping as far as the fresh and grey tanks are concerned which sort of makes black dry too by default but in our case those freezing times are generally either just for a few hours over night or in family driveways where water is readily available inside the house. Certainly another advantage to the spray foam is sealing the frame from corrosion and again, we understand that will be an issue if we decide to foam it later. Just some thoughts - and keep in mind that Texas is a 12 month camping state that does get freezing temps.

Never underestimate a man with a Degree in Physical Education.
H46Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 09:06 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Insulation package and thermo windows is almost a must. Helps with sound and condensation also. We don't have spray foam insulation under the camper but rarely camp in freezing weather and if we do we just dry camp. The A/C is overkill in summer for such a small trailer that I don't think spray insulation under the trailer would make much difference. In this part of the country I don't feel its needed. I also want access to components under the trailer.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:26 AM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Nancy, I would definitely add the thermal windows and insulation. I don't really see the value in the spray foam underneath for the areas where I live and camp, mostly in South Texas. But, the thermal windows mean less condensation, and the wall insulation helps retain either cool air from the AC (which means that noisemaker runs less) or heat from the furnace. It also makes it slightly quieter inside. Highly recommended.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:31 AM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We live in Northern Wisconsin and had only 2 days last year with temps in the 90's yet our trailer has A/C. We bought a " Travel Trailer " for the express purpose of traveling and had no intentions of never leaving our home state. The climate in North America varies widely and if you plan on seeing other States / Provinces beyond Texas , I would order the thermal windows and extra insulation. The upfront cost is not that expensive and adding it at a later date is not a viable option . We have camped at temps from 17 below zero to 103 above zero and having the thermal windows and insulation helps in both extremes.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 09:38 AM   #9
Tin

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Insulation package and thermo windows is the #1 option whether you are up north or down south or in between. It keeps you warmer when its cold, it keeps you cooler when its hot. It increases your trailers over all energy efficiency when using your ac or heater. It reduces condensation and noise transfer and insulation is one option that can not be added later. It greatly increases resale value, I for one would not consider a trailer with out insulation period.
Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 09:53 AM   #10

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Has anyone been able to directly compare radio/phone reception inside an Escape with the "new and improved" foam insulation compared to the prior foil insulation? I would think it would be better without the foil? Anyone?
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 09:54 AM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
I echo the suggestion to get the insulation and thermal windows. We did not get the foam sprayed on the bottom, for reasons also already stated. (Access to the bottom, mostly.) I also figured if the floor's "too cold," I can always get a fairly small carpet remnant to take care of it - but we also have dogs and so far, it's been okay with just a couple of scatter rugs and dog beds.

Camping in Colorado last summer (off the grid) the insulation definitely helped: mornings were mid-to-low 40's (F).
Old 12-21-2016, 10:31 AM   #12

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
I would recommend both the spray foam and the insulation with the thermal windows. A trailer is a mobile unit and can encounter a wide variety of climates while traveling. The heat of the desert or the cold up in the mountains, all in one day. It also keeps the noise down and would be a big plus if you want to sell your trailer. We got all of the insulation options plus the tank heating pads as our 21 is out early in the spring and late in the fall. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:40 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
I would recommend both the spray foam and the insulation with the thermal windows. A trailer is a mobile unit and can encounter a wide variety of climates while traveling. The heat of the desert or the cold up in the mountains, all in one day. It also keeps the noise down and would be a big plus if you want to sell your trailer. We got all of the insulation options plus the tank heating pads as our 21 is out early in the spring and late in the fall. Loren
Not to disagree with you Loren, but I don't think the spray foam will make any difference if you decide to sell the trailer, especially in a market like South Texas. Casita for instance is the top selling fiberglass trailer in Texas, and spray foam (or the ability to camp in freezing weather) isn't part of the equation. Even in colder climates, a used Escape will sell quickly without the spray foam.

I think you get it if you intend to camp where it goes below freezing. If you don't have it, you can always have it added, unlike the insulation and thermal window package.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:50 AM   #14

But over on FGRV, Casita owners are always trying to make their campers warmer for winter use, something Escape owners do not need to worry about. Single pane windows, tank exposure, cold floors are some of their weakness in cold weather.
Old 12-21-2016, 01:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
But over on FGRV, Casita owners are always trying to make their campers warmer for winter use, something Escape owners do not need to worry about. Single pane windows, tank exposure, cold floors are some of their weakness in cold weather.
I own a 2013 Casita and have to agree with Jim 100% .
Dripping windows , cold walls , water running down the bathroom walls , damp bedding , frozen plumbing and having your shoes freeze to the floor are all issues which we have encountered with our trailer. Casita unlike Escape does not offer an insulation / window upgrade , possibly because they are built in Texas and most people buying a Casita live in temperate climates
To be fair Casita does not promote it's trailer as 4 season or even 3 season in colder climates .
If and when we buy an Escape , the insulation / window option will be at the top of our priority list . The ability to prolong ones camping season more than compensates for the slight increase in cost.
In the overall picture the additional cost for insulation when compared to the total cost of the trailer is minor . I have often wondered why people will spend large sums of money on decorative options and then balk at the price of mechanical structural options that have a real effect on the usability of their trailer. I will admit that I am a form following function individual ,
who does not know or care much about decorating or color schemes.

Happy Holidaysf
Old 12-21-2016, 02:11 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
In the overall picture the additional cost for insulation when compared to the total cost of the trailer is minor . I have often wondered why people will spend large sums of money on decorative options and then balk at the price of mechanical structural options that have a real effect on the usability of their trailer. I will admit that I am a form following function individual ,
who does not know or care much about decorating or color schemes.

Happy Holidaysf
Steve, I really have to agree with you there. When I ordered my tow truck, it was heavy duty everything before all of the fancy options available. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 02:14 PM   #17
Site Team

I'm not arguing the virtues of the insulation and thermal window package for a Texan. I'm endorsing it. The only question I'm raising is the need for spray foam underneath, which we haven't needed at all. We just don't camp where it's cold. Much depends on geography.
Old 12-21-2016, 02:23 PM   #18

I like to have my gloves match my hat and shoes....whether needed or not.
Old 12-21-2016, 02:27 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 - June 27, 2017
A lot depends on where you plan to travel but the thermal windows and extra insulation can't easily be added later.

The spray foam under the trailer can be and there are alternatives. Here is an option for insulating under the trailer that we are intrigued by.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tml#post124917
rjbny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 02:37 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I'm not arguing the virtues of the insulation and thermal window package for a Texan. I'm endorsing it. The only question I'm raising is the need for spray foam underneath, which we haven't needed at all. We just don't camp where it's cold. Much depends on geography.
Are we talking Texas cold or Minnesota cold ?
The wall insulation / thermal windows are a benefit in both Texas heat and Minnesota cool . We too have debated the value of the spray foam insulation in that it may only extend our camping season a rather insignificant amount of time and requires us to camp where electricity is available . We use our trailer for deer hunting when the temps are often in the single digits / below zero and the spray foam would be of little value in those weather conditions where as the wall insulation / thermal windows would still be of benefit .
If the spray foam / tank heaters would make an Escape a true 4 season trailer , I would gladly pay for / choose that option.