Is it OK to use a Power Washer on the Escape? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2018, 04:33 PM   #1

Trailer: 2011 Escape 19
Is it OK to use a Power Washer on the Escape?

Just got back from vacation and was wondering if it there is any reason why i shouldn't use a power washer on my E19 trailer. I'm thinking this would be an easy way to get rid of all the squashed bugs on the front of the trailer.
JimHol58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 04:44 PM   #2

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
I think as long as you don’t directly blast any place with seals, the fiberglass hull itself should be pretty impervious to a pressure washer. There are a fair number of penetrations to look out for though, including lights, windows, door, vents, etc.
Old 09-14-2018, 04:57 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I wouldn't use a pressure washer. I have holes in my concrete walk from using my pressure washer.
Much easier to spray on Turtle Bug 'n' Tar, wait a minute or two for it to disolve the bug ( involves enzymes ), and wipe off.
Old 09-14-2018, 05:21 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimHol58 View Post
Just got back from vacation and was wondering if it there is any reason why i shouldn't use a power washer on my E19 trailer. I'm thinking this would be an easy way to get rid of all the squashed bugs on the front of the trailer.
Decals could suffer as well...

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 05:43 PM   #5

Personally, I would NEVER use a power washer on my fiberglass, unless you want to install a new window or draw/engrave your name on it. It can be quite destructive.

Bad idea IMHO.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:06 PM   #6

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
I use Bug-Off. Works great. Spray it on and I can see the bug guts dripping down. I then wash the trailer like usual.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 12:23 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
I just washed our 17 today, including the bugs. We use Dawn dishwashing liquid in a bucket of warm water, and a long-handled soft plastic brush (one of those 'car-wash' brushes that you're supposed to hook to a hose.) pre-rinse and wet; brush on the cleaning solution w/2-3 applications on the front and buggy areas. Let the detergent do its thing. Brush the dirt and bugs loose. Rinse. Repeat as necessary.

It took me 40 minutes, including rinsing. Towel dry. It's now clean as a whistle. In the morning I'll apply Aero 303, and we're good for the winter!
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 06:05 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I would never wash anything of value with a power washer, simple.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:13 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimHol58 View Post
I use a pressure washer on my 19' a couple of times a year. I first use the soap nozzle and apply a "specially formulated" pressure washer soap (Zep brand from Lowes). Let it sit five minutes or so, then switch to the widest nozzle (40 degrees), stand back about 6' and use fast sweeps of the wand. Cleans up beautifully. Don't get close, and don't linger, else you will lift decals, blow off lights and otherwise damage your trailer.

Chuck
citabria90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 11:18 AM   #10

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21RB
A power washer is likely to take the wax off. I would use an automotive detergent like Meguiares in a bucket of water with a soft brush or cloth and rinse. That usually takes off the bugs with a little extra scrubbing. I find dishwashing detergents also tend to strip the wax off. If afterwards there is no beading of water on the surface I will wax as well - usually the front of the trailer and storage box after a long trip or once every couple of months during the summer.
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 11:51 AM   #11

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Meguiar’s car wash soap and a long handledI car wash brush works for us .
Meguiars does a good job of cleaning off dirt and bugs without removing wax
I find that keeping my trailer waxed makes cleaning and bug removal easier and keeps the gel coat from oxidizing.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:03 AM   #12

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21 - "Here We Go Again"
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
I just washed our 17 today, including the bugs. We use Dawn dishwashing liquid in a bucket of warm water, and a long-handled soft plastic brush (one of those 'car-wash' brushes that you're supposed to hook to a hose.) pre-rinse and wet; brush on the cleaning solution w/2-3 applications on the front and buggy areas. Let the detergent do its thing. Brush the dirt and bugs loose. Rinse. Repeat as necessary.

It took me 40 minutes, including rinsing. Towel dry. It's now clean as a whistle. In the morning I'll apply Aero 303, and we're good for the winter!
If you use dishwashing liquid to clean your trailer or tow vehicle, you should apply a good wax afterward. Dishwashing liquids are made to remove grease and will remove any car wax. Auto manufacturers strongly discourage the use of such products to wash vehicles.
gwvwadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 04:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwvwadc View Post
If you use dishwashing liquid to clean your trailer or tow vehicle, you should apply a good wax afterward. Dishwashing liquids are made to remove grease and will remove any car wax. Auto manufacturers strongly discourage the use of such products to wash vehicles.

Use of Aero303 precludes the use of wax. It's an either/or choice. We had decided on Aero303 after some research, and talking with aircraft owners (we're 3 miles from a general aviation airport), and boaters (we're 10 miles from the Pacific Ocean). We love it. It's been 3 full years now, and based on the condition of the trailer's finish, we think it was the correct decision for us.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:10 PM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
You used the Aerospace 303 Protectant on the fiberglass? I've only used that on things like vinyl awnings, interesting idea to use it directly on the trailer.

note Aero 303 now has a whole line of products, its easy to get confused. they make a fantastic fabric water repellant I use on the canvas cloth-top on my convertible mercedes.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 11:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
You used the Aerospace 303 Protectant on the fiberglass? I've only used that on things like vinyl awnings, interesting idea to use it directly on the trailer.

note Aero 303 now has a whole line of products, its easy to get confused. they make a fantastic fabric water repellant I use on the canvas cloth-top on my convertible mercedes.

John,
You're right, there are a variety of 303 products. The one we use has the identifier number 30313, and is sold by Gold Eagle Co., Chicago. On the directions on the back: "Safe and effective on a variety of surfaces such as vinyl, plastics, synthetic and natural rubber, PVC, ..., gel coat, fiberglass, ...". "Not for unfinished leathers (such as suede), fabrics(canvas) or floorings."

As I mentioned, we are at the three year mark, and are extremely happy with the results.
On Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/303-30313-CSR.../dp/B00KN0UOEE
Old 09-18-2018, 07:45 AM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
You're right, there are a variety of 303 products. The one we use has the identifier number 30313, and is sold by Gold Eagle Co....
And that is precisely the right one to use on the shell, the original formula.

We get it by the gallon because it's far less expensive and will last us a very long time - just refill spray bottles with it:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PM3TIQ2..._FrpOBbQYBW9CD

I first found 303 Aerospace Protectant in a Spa store decades ago. They used it to protect the fiberglass on outdoor hot tubs. 303 works great on the shell, the only caveat being that on non-porous surfaces you need to apply it more than once an year for proper protection.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:27 AM   #17

Trailer: 2019 19’ Reversed Floor Plan
Is it OK to use 303 on new Gelcoat? Thinking on applying when we PU our new 19’ next month for the trip home.
RB Donath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:31 AM   #18

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I would not apply anything to a new unit, I think it may still be curing. Water would be it for me until at least 6 months.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:10 AM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by RB Donath View Post
Is it OK to use 303 on new Gelcoat? Thinking on applying when we PU our new 19’ next month for the trip home.
Hi: RB Donath... It's a coin toss!!! Which is easier applying 303 or ordering a new trailer every time it's needed!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 11:51 AM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
I use BTS (Bow to Stern). Use on gelcoat, awning, tire cover, etc. So far so good after 4 years.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote