Is this Camping? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2012, 11:24 PM   #21

Trailer: 2009 17B - Escape Pod
When I tell people that for our holidays we went for a month of camping, they have asked "was it real camping, or Trailering?". I respond that, yes, we have a trailer, but the only thing we do in the trailer, is sleep. My wife and I have evolved (?) from mountaineering (climbed to 20, 000' on our honeymoon) to a truck with a canopy to a van with the seats removed, to a VW camper to a motorhome, and finally to the nirvana of our Escape Pod. We still backpack, and the only difference really is where we sleep (and how much I think about bears, and how much of a pain it is to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night...). I think that if someone has a luxury 30' RV, but they spend all their time outdoors, it is still camping. If someone with the same unit spends all their time in their RV, then it is simply RVing. But if they are having fun, good for them!
ddevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:59 AM   #22

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Dave, that was some honeymoon. Hope you had an oxygen canister with you.

Your sentiments on camping are mine. I figure if someone is in a campground or is boondocking, they are camping whether tent, trailer or whatever.

I wonder if the vast majority of people in trailers did backpacking or tenting long ago. They eventually decided just as you that they had had enough of running to bathrooms and worrying about the wildlife.

By the way, I don't think we need to apologize for our "luxurious" trailers! In fact, I have the idea that our little trailers get very little respect. I remember someone on Fiberglass RV saying that he couldn't get into a CG until he proved he had tanks. We have had CG owners act the same toward us, apparently didn't think we could use full HUs.

Now we have a great big brand new trailer parked next to us. I looked it up out of curiosity and, as I expected, ours apparently cost at least a couple of thousand more, never mind that theirs is five or more times as big. No one would guess that. They probably don't consider us to be camping with ours! It works both ways. I think it can depend on where you are coming from and at what time in life.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:32 AM   #23

So true Cathy! Most people do not recognize quality when they see it. Our neighbor once asked if we needed to go outside to change our mind, in reference to the size of our trailer. They have a larger stick-built with slide outs. Since that comment their luxury unit has developed leaks, the furnace has stopped working, the batteries stopped charging, and they stopped camping!
Old 11-23-2012, 06:27 AM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I had someone who had a monster 5th wheel go thorough our trailer, and made generally nice comments, but added that they would sure miss having a living room. I stepped outside, spread my arms and said "This is our living room." And nothing describes 'living' as well as the great outdoors.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:05 PM   #25

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
That must be a common comment about going outside to change your mind because a man said that to me, too. He also said that he would give us two years before we would want a big (stickie) trailer like his. We had bought ours a few weeks before so I was slightly irked with him. He had had the tent, pop-out and whatever campers. When he had the last smaller one, someone had said to him that he would give him two years. That is what it was for him before they bought their present one.

Well, we have the come-back for that. "You will need a new one soon enough yourselves because yours is going to fall apart!" And we could add, "Ours won't." They cannot imagine that others have already considered such trailers and bought an Escape. Maybe we should stick up a sample bill of sale with common options so they can get the idea that we have thermal windows and tanks and AC and a queen bed and a shower. And, oh, why are they using that great big gas guzzler?
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:56 PM   #26

We camped next to a 40ft bus Motorhome with 3 slides. The man came out 3 times in a weekend the wife never came out. Our 21ft Bigfoot looked like a small trailer next to that thing. They towed a Fiat car. When they went home I know they told their friends they went camping.
Chuck
hippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:12 PM   #27

camping

I was raised in the bush with no water or electricity,
I walked several miles back and forth for the few years I attended normal school.
Winter and summer I traveled extensively away from home with dogs in the winter and canoes in the summer, just to live.
I am over 75 now and just do not like sleeping on the ground, Life has progressed. You can now take your home with you.
Doug
Yukon Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:54 PM   #28

That's impressive Doug! And to think that some people think they are roughing it when they are in a trailer!
Old 11-26-2012, 05:55 PM   #29

Actualy in those early days, I thought life was pretty good, fishing and shooting game to eat, we never went hungry, later on when I went to work, I was considered a good employee by companys who carried out contracts in the bush, because in the bush I was at home, and could be happy working for months at a time, with out seeing any one or any thing else.

Then I guess I became civilized. "Married"

Doug
Old 11-26-2012, 11:04 PM   #30

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
Doug, the wife and I are heading up your way this June for a "Sour Toe".
I'm sure we'll get a chance to do some fantastic camping under the Midnight Sun.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:29 AM   #31

When you are ready to come up send me an e mail.

When I am in when we are outside we always go to your town for seafood on the wharf
Doug
Old 12-04-2012, 09:47 PM   #32

This could be camping.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1686.jpg  
Old 12-05-2012, 12:33 PM   #33

It is a cramper.
hippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:06 PM   #34

Early Escape Concept prototype. Circa 1962.
Dog as Navigator
DonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:40 PM   #35

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Doug,
You sound like Grizzily Adams....
Old 12-23-2012, 01:19 AM   #36

This is our 74 Boler from years gone by. After driving 12 hrs and pulling in late we awoke to our surprise that the big boys had surrounded us. This RV park is some where near Bismark USA. I remember these big beetles in the trees making the loud noise at night. But they didn't scare us... that much.
Attached Thumbnails
Copy (1) of IMG.jpg  
Old 12-30-2012, 07:16 PM   #37

Cp Harley.
Grizzly Adams made pets of Bears.

I was cornered in the night years ago by three Barren Ground Grizzlies, about 60 mile south of Coppermine NWT.
I didn't make pets out of them, but did manage to get two of them to stay and lie down, the third one ran away.

Doug
Old 12-30-2012, 08:45 PM   #38

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Escape View Post
Cp Harley.
Grizzly Adams made pets of Bears.

I was cornered in the night years ago by three Barren Ground Grizzlies, about 60 mile south of Coppermine NWT.
I didn't make pets out of them, but did manage to get two of them to stay and lie down, the third one ran away.

Doug
I have visions of that scene from Crocodile Dundee when he stood there and pointed his fingers at the charging animal and it then laid down, you standing there with your arms stretched out pointing towards the bears to get them to lay down, wow, I'd have to change my underwear if I had seen that!!!
Old 12-30-2012, 09:38 PM   #39

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
It's funny but we didn't buy our 19' Escape for camping...We were tired of lousy, expensive motel rooms, poor food at 75% of the restaurants we visited and decided on a 6,000 mile motorcycle trip last July that we needed to bring our motel room and kitchen with us in the future so we did some research and bought a 19' Escape trailer.

We have been traveling together for the last 27 years of our marriage often by car but most often 2-up on a motorcycle. We like canoeing, fishing, hiking and exploring the outdoors and the 19' Escape is just great. We use it as a home base then go exploring from there. No TV but it has a killer stereo system and we like our music. It is also set up for boon-docking so we will be doing that soon. Last week we stayed at Morro Bay in California for some hiking, surf fishing and wine tasting. We love to cook and did a lot of barbequing and cooking up great meals outside the trailer. Then went to Cachuma Lake for a few days of hiking and trout fishing. Next time we'll bring the canoe. Got back home yesterday.

Did we go camping?...Not really...but we brought our motel room and kitchen with us for a great week in the outdoors....and can't wait to go again!
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:07 PM   #40

My idea of living well. Do you bring the bike along?
Dog as Navigator
DonM is offline   Reply With Quote