Is this Camping? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2012, 10:43 PM   #41

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonM View Post
My idea of living well. Do you bring the bike along?
No we don't bring the bike but wish we could.
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:00 PM   #42

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
I wonder how many laws you could break if one was to hook a small bike trailer to a travel trailer.? Or is that just crazy.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:05 AM   #43

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
...a killer stereo system and we like our music.
What system to you have?
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:30 AM   #44

I found a link for whats known as " triple towing " So maybe isn't that crazy after all. Just not that common. So I sapose you can take your toys with you if you like.
http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm
Old 12-31-2012, 01:23 PM   #45

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
I have a tendency to agree that triple towing is a little sketchy. I wouldn't want to risk it. However, I do like the option of having my motorcycle with me. In lieu of triple towing I bought a long bed pickup that will accommodate my bike. After a good test run from BC to Utah, Arizona, California and back last October I have to say it worked admirably. Plus, it's legal!

Happy New Year!
Glenn
Glennrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:28 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
What system to you have?
Karen, It is a KDC-BT952HD Kenwood stereo that has several input options such as Aux, XM, USB, etc. and Blue Tooth wireless and a CD player and HD Radio Reception + remote control. The operating colors are even programmable. In each corner of the trailer I mounted one 6 1/2" Polk Audio Coaxial speaker (4) in a pod (surface-mounted) facing downward. Most of the time I use the Zumo 550 GPS Unit from my motorcycle for the XM stereo plugged into the AUX input. I also horizontally mounted a Marine AM/FM antenna over the inside of the doorway that has great reception.

This is one of two speakers mounted over the bed. Notice that I could see Morro Rock and the ocean from our bed in that campground!
Old 12-31-2012, 08:13 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennrose View Post
I have a tendency to agree that triple towing is a little sketchy. I wouldn't want to risk it. However, I do like the option of having my motorcycle with me. In lieu of triple towing I bought a long bed pickup that will accommodate my bike. After a good test run from BC to Utah, Arizona, California and back last October I have to say it worked admirably. Plus, it's legal!

Happy New Year!
Glenn
Nice bike! This is the way to go and would work for my HD Road King but my Honda GoldWing is about 6" longer and would require the tailgate down...and it takes some nerve to drive a 800lb+ or 900lb+ motorcycle up a ramp into the pickup bed and then back down backwards later...at least the GoldWing has reverse!
Old 12-31-2012, 08:34 PM   #48

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Karen, It is a KDC-BT952HD Kenwood stereo that has several input options such as Aux, XM, USB, etc. and Blue Tooth wireless and a CD player and HD Radio Reception + remote control. The operating colors are even programmable. In each corner of the trailer I mounted one 6 1/2" Polk Audio Coaxial speaker (4) in a pod (surface-mounted) facing downward. Most of the time I use the Zumo 550 GPS Unit from my motorcycle for the XM stereo plugged into the AUX input. I also horizontally mounted a Marine AM/FM antenna over the inside of the doorway that has great reception. This is one of two speakers mounted over the bed. Notice that I could see Morro Rock and the ocean from our bed in that campground!
Thank you for the info and the great pics...always a plus when looking at options.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:43 PM   #49

Karen, I also wanted to add that I surface mounted everything because I just didn't want to cut into the cabinetry. In hindsight, I like the spot I chose for the stereo under under the cabinet in the dinette area next to the trailer door. It is a handy location and is not in the way.

Steve
Old 12-31-2012, 08:53 PM   #50

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dog View Post
I found a link for whats known as " triple towing " So maybe isn't that crazy after all. Just not that common. So I sapose you can take your toys with you if you like.
You need to check state by state and province by province or you might find that you can't go further without dragging the trailer across state and then returning to pick up the rest of your "train".
Old 12-31-2012, 09:49 PM   #51

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Quote:
Nice bike! This is the way to go and would work for my HD Road King but my Honda GoldWing is about 6" longer and would require the tailgate down...and it takes some nerve to drive a 800lb+ or 900lb+ motorcycle up a ramp into the pickup bed and then back down backwards later...at least the GoldWing has reverse!
Hi hotfishtacos, yes, it does take a little practice before feeling totally comfortable loading and unloading the bike. My Concours weighs a little over 700lbs, so it is in the ballpark of your Road King. I bought a very strong aluminum ramp so I'm able to sit on the bike as I slowly go up or down during loading/unloading. I still have room to spare behind my sport-tourer... the Wing might fit after all!
Glennrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:01 PM   #52

I think a long box is my best solution. I might even add a winch rather than ride my HD Road King up.
Dog as Navigator
DonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:26 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennrose View Post
Hi hotfishtacos, yes, it does take a little practice before feeling totally comfortable loading and unloading the bike. My Concours weighs a little over 700lbs, so it is in the ballpark of your Road King. I bought a very strong aluminum ramp so I'm able to sit on the bike as I slowly go up or down during loading/unloading. I still have room to spare behind my sport-tourer... the Wing might fit after all!
That wide ramp is good so you can put both feet down.

The Wing is 8' 6" and over 900 lbs. Once I had to put the Wing in a rental truck with a long pull-out ramp about 2 feet wide. It was a "white-knuckler" going up the ramp fast and then full brakes at the top while I bottomed out the motorcycle bottom going into the truck skidding to a stop. Taking it out later was even more interesting!
Old 01-01-2013, 12:08 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I have visions of that scene from Crocodile Dundee when he stood there and pointed his fingers at the charging animal and it then laid down, you standing there with your arms stretched out pointing towards the bears to get them to lay down, wow, I'd have to change my underwear if I had seen that!!!
I did not point my finger, I did point a winchester 1895, 30-06, a great teaching tool but noisy.
Doug
Yukon Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:22 AM   #55

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Here is another site with towing info: State Towing Laws for RVs.

I've posted links to both of these sites on some of the other forums, and been told that there are errors in each of them, so it would probably be wise to actually check with the DMV of each state or province you plan to travel through for their trailer regulations.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:54 PM   #56

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
It is pretty common here in Alberta . There is a overal maximum length and must be with a fith wheel in the middle. These rigs sure are a pain in the back side at the gas stations.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:04 AM   #57

Now this is camping.
I think most of us have done this in our younger years. LOL..
Attached Thumbnails
campinga.jpg  
Old 01-02-2013, 08:26 AM   #58

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Doug, the wife and I are heading up your way this June for a "Sour Toe".
I'm sure we'll get a chance to do some fantastic camping under the Midnight Sun.
Please enlighten us, what is a "Sour Toe"??
Old 01-02-2013, 08:46 AM   #59

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Now this is camping.
I think most of us have done this in our younger years. LOL..
Most definitely have camped like that in the past at bluegrass festivals, and other party situations. You get to fall asleep to the sounds of other amorous campers.

But most of my tenting has been in the backcountry, though some canoeists don't realize that these same sounds can easily carry across a lake in the serenity of the location.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:52 PM   #60

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Most definitely have camped like that in the past at bluegrass festivals, and other party situations. You get to fall asleep to the sounds of other amorous campers.

But most of my tenting has been in the backcountry, though some canoeists don't realize that these same sounds can easily carry across a lake in the serenity of the location.
Yeah, two summers ago I was lying awake at in my tent at Whiteswan Provincial Park in BC at about 1am in the morning hoping that the couple in a tent at the next site would get tired out and stop with all of the "excercise" related noises. I must say that they sure had a lot of stamina.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote