It is cold...... - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2015, 10:33 AM   #21

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Boo! *throws snowball at Gabi*
Well...ya know ....if you guys weren't so far up north there ......we could shovel our snow your way !
Old 01-08-2015, 10:39 AM   #22

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
Quote:
Check your calendars folks, it is winter still. It is supposed to be cold.

There does seem to be lots of cold about the continent right now, that's for sure. Hang in there, it will pass.

I love winter, and will take the cold with it. I don't like it when it gets above freezing though, and our snow melts, and things look that ugly brown-grey colour. I like to embrace the winter elements, and enjoy them, because if I didn't, it would be one heck of a long winter here.
I agree Jim, I often wonder when I hear endless complaining about winter from folks around here why they live here. I a few times when the complaining gets a get to much I have asked why they live here and why they don't move somewhere else which ushaully ends it.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:55 AM   #23
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave macrae View Post
I agree Jim, I often wonder when I hear endless complaining about winter from folks around here why they live here. I a few times when the complaining gets a get to much I have asked why they live here and why they don't move somewhere else which ushaully ends it.
Freezing in Alberta is understandable, but I took it that the thread was talking about UNSEASONABLY cold weather. Its still below freezing here in San Antonio for example, which historically is very rare.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:57 AM   #24

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Exactly Robert, I believe 44 out of 48 states have below freezing temperatures which is an extreme.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:26 AM   #25

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Exactly Robert, I believe 44 out of 48 states have below freezing temperatures which is an extreme.
And can you imagine how much colder it would actually be if global warming was not keeping the temperatures up. I think I will go out and burn off a few more gallons of fossil fuel.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 11:29 AM   #26

I apreciate someone who is experincing unushual temperatures for their area having a gripe. It just gets a bit much living in a area that has a fairly long winter and listening to people whine about for months on end. That being said the jet stream is dipping very low into the US at the moment. Hopefully it settles back to a more normal flow soon.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:33 PM   #27

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Statistically

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
And can you imagine how much colder it would actually be if global warming was not keeping the temperatures up. I think I will go out and burn off a few more gallons of fossil fuel.
I have lived in the time period before the discovery of "Global Warming" and during the period of "Climate Change" . The length and severity of winter has changed in my lifetime . The dates for lake freeze up in the Fall and ice out in the Spring has changed . Minnesota and Wisconsin now experience 30 to 40 less days of lakes being ice covered . Certain illnesses/ diseases are becoming a issue because our winters are not cold enough for long enough to control the viruses . I am not an alarmist but neither am I willing to dismiss offhand the findings of the scientific community. Enjoy the cold while it is still here to enjoy !!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 12:44 PM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
The two winters we spent at Minot, ND helped us make up our mind we would return to Calif and would have stayed there if work had not taken us to OK and then later 10 years in Utah, Adding that time to my growing up years in Colorado and we are now in AZ to stay and I've been complaining about the lows of 30 and the highs of only 65 to 75. Of course when other places have nice weather, we go there to ESCAPE the heat here. RETIRE AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE!!!!!
Jack
It is currently -10 c in St. Paul. with a low tonight of -23. Wind chills are colder. Yesterday school was cancelled in Minneapolis (but not Saint Paul) due to windchill of -38 c.

I grew up in Minot, many years ago. Jack, I assume you were at Minot Air Force Base -- is that correct? I understand your wanting to leave, but I was always surprised at the many Air Force folks who ended up coming back. That would include my younger brother who retired from the Air Force and moved back to Dickinson, ND. Of course all this was before the oil boom, which has brought money but also a lot of problems. When I was growing up, sub-zero temperatures were pretty common, and of course it was up hill to school both ways.

Folks who are complaining about the cold need to keep this perspective. We moved to Minnesota from Indiana 30 years ago, partly because it seems to me if you are going to have a winter, you may as well go all the way and have a real winter that gives you enough cold and snow to enjoy winter sports like x-country skiing, snow shoeing, etc. The worst winter is one that is cold (temps in the 30s), overcast, and no snow. Hard to enjoy many outdoor activities in that weather. Weather has gotten warmer and maybe I will have think about moving to Winnipeg or Canmore if the Canadians will have me.

The first winter we were here, my father in law came to visit at Christmas time. He was here for 3 weeks, and there was only day when the high was above zero (fahrenheit). The rest of the time the lows were in the minus 20 range. So it is cold, but not as cold as it used to be. We have just gotten wimpy about the weather.
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 01:08 PM   #29

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
It is currently -10 c in St. Paul. with a low tonight of -23. Wind chills are colder. Yesterday school was cancelled in Minneapolis (but not Saint Paul) due to windchill of -38 c.

I grew up in Minot, many years ago. Jack, I assume you were at Minot Air Force Base -- is that correct? I understand your wanting to leave, but I was always surprised at the many Air Force folks who ended up coming back. That would include my younger brother who retired from the Air Force and moved back to Dickinson, ND. Of course all this was before the oil boom, which has brought money but also a lot of problems. When I was growing up, sub-zero temperatures were pretty common, and of course it was up hill to school both ways.

Folks who are complaining about the cold need to keep this perspective. We moved to Minnesota from Indiana 30 years ago, partly because it seems to me if you are going to have a winter, you may as well go all the way and have a real winter that gives you enough cold and snow to enjoy winter sports like x-country skiing, snow shoeing, etc. The worst winter is one that is cold (temps in the 30s), overcast, and no snow. Hard to enjoy many outdoor activities in that weather. Weather has gotten warmer and maybe I will have think about moving to Winnipeg or Canmore if the Canadians will have me.

The first winter we were here, my father in law came to visit at Christmas time. He was here for 3 weeks, and there was only day when the high was above zero (fahrenheit). The rest of the time the lows were in the minus 20 range. So it is cold, but not as cold as it used to be. We have just gotten wimpy about the weather.
When I lived in Chisolm Minnesota , St Paul was where we went in the winter to experience warmer weather .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 01:53 PM   #30

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave macrae View Post
It just gets a bit much living in a area that has a fairly long winter and listening to people whine about for months on end
This is why I would never be able to live in the Southern US, I would be whining about how my skin is near its melting point most of the summer.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:57 PM   #31

I agree Jim , spent a week last fall In California at around 40 C each day and was way too hot for me. I will take the lovely crisp -17C today over that thanks
Old 01-08-2015, 04:06 PM   #32

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: All...It's so cold, my tongue froze to the truck!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 04:12 PM   #33

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I have lived in the time period before the discovery of "Global Warming" and during the period of "Climate Change" . The length and severity of winter has changed in my lifetime . The dates for lake freeze up in the Fall and ice out in the Spring has changed . Minnesota and Wisconsin now experience 30 to 40 less days of lakes being ice covered . Certain illnesses/ diseases are becoming a issue because our winters are not cold enough for long enough to control the viruses . I am not an alarmist but neither am I willing to dismiss offhand the findings of the scientific community. Enjoy the cold while it is still here to enjoy !!
Having grown up in the Vancouver area (Vancouver British Columbia) during the fifties and sixties I’ve seen quite a change in the weather. We use to have much colder winters, lots of snow, and even outdoor skating on frozen lakes and ponds. But that’s very rare these days. Is it “Global Warming” who knows? The weather on this planet has been changing since it was first formed. Tropical plants have been found under the ice at both poles. A thousand years ago the Vikings abandoned colonies they had settled in Greenland because the winters got too cold to live there anymore.
My advice is if it’s cold dress warm, if it’s hot dress cool and don’t forget the sunscreen.
sunrisetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 04:21 PM   #34

Trailer: 2001 coachmen
Last night we hit -14 with a wind chill of -40! Right now we are having a heatwave...10 with no wind!
reetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:51 PM   #35

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
This morning Pensacola set a new record low for this day - 20 degrees!
A couple of days ago we were in the high 60s. (The normal high for Jan in 61.)
That's interesting-- Pensacola was colder than my location, ten miles north of Milton. Weather Underground says last night's low at Whiting Field (four miles from my house) was 29, and that seems about right. Not that I'm complaining.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:54 PM   #36

Trailer: Bigfoot 25' 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: All...It's so cold, my tongue froze to the truck!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Alf:

You should know by now not to stick your tongue on cold surfaces, like your truck. It will stick and hurt a lot to get off. I haven't done that since about 8 years old but still remember the experience.

Thanks.
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 08:43 PM   #37

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21--FOR SALE
Send us any cold air and snow you don't want!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Seems cold everywhere. Down to 28 tonight here in San Antonio with a high tomorrow of only 45. Below freezing overnight is a VERY rare occurrence here. Norms are about 65 and 45.
It's cold lots of places, but not here on Vancouver Island where we've got temperatures substantially above freezing to the point where Mount Washington Alpine Resort is on the verge of closing in mid-season for the second year in a row due to lack of snow, putting about 300 people out of work, and disappointing a lot of us nordic or alpine skiers, snowboarders, and snowshoers.

When we were in Austin last March our cab driver described in detail what driving in that city was like for two days after last winter's freezing rain.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:29 PM   #38
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catchlight View Post
It's cold lots of places, but not here on Vancouver Island where we've got temperatures substantially above freezing to the point where Mount Washington Alpine Resort is on the verge of closing in mid-season for the second year in a row due to lack of snow, putting about 300 people out of work, and disappointing a lot of us nordic or alpine skiers, snowboarders, and snowshoers.

When we were in Austin last March our cab driver described in detail what driving in that city was like for two days after last winter's freezing rain.
That's true Brent -- cold weather here wreaks havoc. Folks just cant handle it. That same storm shut down the main highways here in San Antonio for a day. I didn't mind. A chance to veg out was welcome.

I was born and raised in the Rocky Mountains, and I recall several mornings in High School where I rode my motorcycle to work at 5 am and the snow was halfway up the bike. Wonder what some of these cold weather wimps (I admit I am one of them now) would do if it REALLY snowed?
Old 01-09-2015, 06:38 AM   #39

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
This is why I would never be able to live in the Southern US, I would be whining about how my skin is near its melting point most of the summer.
You could always be a sunbird, Jim. Many species of birds migrate thousands of miles to avoid coping with frigid temperatures. I had two neighbors when I lived in Spring Hill, FL who were from Ontario (Toronto). I don't think it typically gets as cold in Toronto as it does in Calgary, but they were always glad to come to Florida for the coldest months. Hey, if I could I would summer somewhere in the Canadian Rockies and winter here, because you are so right about skin approaching its melting point. In reality, it is the humidity that is the worst.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:55 AM   #40

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
That's true Brent -- cold weather here wreaks havoc. Folks just cant handle it. That same storm shut down the main highways here in San Antonio for a day. I didn't mind. A chance to veg out was welcome.

I was born and raised in the Rocky Mountains, and I recall several mornings in High School where I rode my motorcycle to work at 5 am and the snow was halfway up the bike. Wonder what some of these cold weather wimps (I admit I am one of them now) would do if it REALLY snowed?
From talking with friends throughout the US, it seems like a lot of it is due to the lack of equipment, snow plows, sanders, etc. I remember being stunned that Las Vegas airport was shut down after a few inches of snow, as that would never happen here. It was explained that there was no snow removal equipment, and that thy had to let it melt.

Even here, I marvel at the degree that people want the snow dealt with. On residential roads, it packs down and you drive on top of it. Many want that cleared on a regular basis, so they can drive their wee cars with poor tires everywhere, yet do not consider the tax burden of this to the taxpayer.

Me, I just drive circles around them in my big ass 4x4. Yeah, that's right, that terror in the F-350 is me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
You could always be a sunbird, Jim.
I have lots of relatives who travel to Arizona for a few months every winter. While I would never do that, I love winter too much, I will definitely plan my tours of the southern US around the winter months.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote