It’s done! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2019, 05:32 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 19’ Escape
It’s done!

We finally finished our build sheet and thanks to all of your advice/suggestions we ordering quite a few options! We are eagerly awaiting our October pickup date. Thank the our all again for taking the time to answer all our questions.
Which leads me to a couple more...(it never ends does it?!).
-we ordered the outlet and attachment for a portable solar panel( as well as the fixed), wondering what you recommend for solar panels and where is best place to purchase?
- Second question, we are going to trade in our Subaru Outback for another new car that can tow 19’ Escape. It looks like with all our options +water weight we are at 4,000 lbs.
we are considering: Honda Pilot , Toyota Highlander or Acura MDX. All 6 cylinder.
Any thoughts on best vehicles for towing?! Thanks! Kathy
Ahern2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 07:41 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
What about the Subaru Ascent, new this year and tows 5000 lbs.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:16 PM   #3

I did not know about the Accent.. I love Subaru and will check it out.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:50 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
While I haven’t seen your build sheet, just be aware that your 19 with heavier options (e.g. oven, larger fridge, extra insulation, air conditioner, etc), full water tank, full propane tanks, food, beverages, and gear for camping will in all likelihood exceed 4,000 lbs. The dry weight of my 19 is listed as 3,290 lbs, and while I haven’t weighed it fully loaded, I estimate it’s at least 4,300 lbs. The weight adds up quickly, that’s for sure! While lots of folks do it, the general advice for an easier towing experience is not to exceed 60% of the weight your vehicle is rated to tow, or something thereabouts. There may also be limits with tongue weight. That said, I’m a Subaru fan too and decided to keep my Forester even after we bought our tow vehicle. Couldn’t part with it!
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 11:04 PM   #5

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Any of the choices you're looking at ought to work, provided you pick the right trim level/drive train options. For an Escape 19, a tow vehicle with a 5000 lb capacity is sufficient. There are lots of rules of thumb out there--60% of dry (not fully loaded) weight is one, 85% of fully loaded weight is another one. And there are others.

If you are buying the vehicle new, make sure it comes with the factory installed towing package--that way you'll get a heavy duty alternator and transmission cooler most likely.
Seneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 11:06 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Last time I read this WAG rule of thumb it was not to exceed 80 per cent of tow rating. Where do people get this information? Interweb? Now it's 60 per cent? By the time the thread ends we'll be at 2 per cent.
Old 07-31-2019, 11:14 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by salmo7000 View Post
While I haven’t seen your build sheet, just be aware that your 19 with heavier options (e.g. oven, larger fridge, extra insulation, air conditioner, etc), full water tank, full propane tanks, food, beverages, and gear for camping will in all likelihood exceed 4,000 lbs. The dry weight of my 19 is listed as 3,290 lbs, and while I haven’t weighed it fully loaded, I estimate it’s at least 4,300 lbs. The weight adds up quickly, that’s for sure! While lots of folks do it, the general advice for an easier towing experience is not to exceed 60% of the weight your vehicle is rated to tow, or something thereabouts. There may also be limits with tongue weight. That said, I’m a Subaru fan too and decided to keep my Forester even after we bought our tow vehicle. Couldn’t part with it!
Another Subaru Forester owner here ! Just was at the mechanic to check something out on our truck and mechanic said about towing , you want 1 / 1/2 times towing capacity to safely tow . No matter what dealers tell you . And it it easier on the components on the tow vehicle . And we love our Subaru too! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 11:29 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
It's a pretty easy assumption that if you use a tool ( tow vehicle ) that is rated well over the capacity necessary to do the job, that it will be easier on the tool. The question is, when is excess excessive?
Old 08-01-2019, 05:59 AM   #9

The Subaru Ascent comes with the tow package, the hitch is optional as well as the brake controller. Otherwise it is a Toyota Highlander competitor for the 5000# and under crowd.
Old 08-01-2019, 06:42 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
The Nissan Pathfinder is rarely mentioned and from our experience an excellent tow vehicle because as a 6 cylinder it has a 6000lb tow rating. Now I will admit in 2013 when they changed the body style to what it is now I don't like that I prefer the older style but from a reliability standpoint very good vehicles. The 2012 I have now has 225,000 miles on it and just had to replace one bank of catalytic converters but first money I've spent on anything other then standard service stuff so not complaining.
Enjoy your new Escape!

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:06 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Last time I read this WAG rule of thumb it was not to exceed 80 per cent of tow rating. Where do people get this information? Interweb? Now it's 60 per cent? By the time the thread ends we'll be at 2 per cent.
This always gets me chuckling too, with it being stuff just made up and when someone posts it on the internet, others believe to be true. There are even more trade like sites that believe they know best who post stuff not necessarily true and folks believe.

It does not hurt to have a bit of room in the weight category to allow for carrying something additional that odd time without going over, but the vehicle tow rating is exactly what they list for the vehicle. As well, you will get better performance having extra towing capacity, but do so at a much higher cost, and many believe that cost doesn't matter, but actually for many it is very important.

But again, to each their own.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:36 AM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
It is also a good idea to consider payload. Many mid size trucks & SUVs have plenty of tow capacity, but are easily overloaded with hitch weight & your stuff.

My example was a Toyota Tacoma. With my stuff & the tongue weight of my 21, it was well within tow ratings, but at least 150 pounds over payload.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:39 AM   #13

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
At least, look at a Ford or Chevy.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:09 AM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
I second Jon’s post about payload. Even full sized trucks may have very little payload capacity due to 4 wheel drive, double cab, canopy, etc. Of course the hitch weight takes up a large part of this capacity.

Another factor in how close to towing and payload capacity you decide to go is whether your TV is used a lot outside of towing. Having to park a larger vehicle around town is a pain in most cities. Also, we have room for our smaller truck in our garage, so we don’t worry about the many “Theft From Vehicle “ incidents that plague our neighbours parking their larger pickup trucks on the street. If I towed across great distances a lot I would likely opt for a more powerful and efficient tow vehicle, but we mainly tow a couple of days to a lake and then explore without the trailer. It isn’t bad on longer trips, but our smaller 4.7L engine does work hard on extreme hill climbs like in the Rockies.
Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:47 AM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
This past spring we got ready to head out for the Appreciation Rally. We were fully packed about 2:30 in the afternoon, both the trailer and the Highlander. I was tired. However Rita has it in mind to get our rig weighed before we hit the road.
So we headed to the local quarry and weighed the whole rig, pulled around the back of the scale house, dropped the trailer, went back over the scale for just the Highlander. Then back around to hook back up. I had put some stuff in the Highlander which I wasn’t sure I would take with us. We still had leeway in the Highlander with a 500 lb tongue weight, cargo, and passengers. Once home I took about 75 or 100 lbs out like our campfire in a can, some wood cribbing, a case of water etc. The scale master even brought the readout to me as I was hooking up. I was glad I did this little project. Why? Peace of my mind, off the table as “I wish we would have weighed this “ from my traveling partner, and my ability to be very specific when asked what the rig weighed. Which happens a lot when talking to people looking at our rig.
4380 lbs on the 21 out of 5000 lbs rating. 87.6%
I don’t listen to people I don’t know and respect personally . Many on the internet are, as my dad would say, “spit ballers” . I think for myself and relate my own experience. My hide is thick and my head is hard like a brick. See you in North Dakota and Montana next week.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-02-2019, 10:13 AM   #16

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Another Subaru Forester owner here ! Just was at the mechanic to check something out on our truck and mechanic said about towing , you want 1 / 1/2 times towing capacity to safely tow . No matter what dealers tell you . And it it easier on the components on the tow vehicle . And we love our Subaru too! Pat
Got my information from my trans rebuilder ( a older gentlemen ) who rebuilt my transmission in 2013 after a seal went coming home from pickup in Canada , in my driveway . Might add a top of the line trans builder , car builder and racer . Gives me lots of information and I respect him . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 11:25 AM   #17

What do you use to pull your trailer?
Old 08-02-2019, 11:58 AM   #18

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75thRanger View Post
At least, look at a Ford or Chevy.
Yes, a Ford Explorer or Chevrolet Traverse would likely be comparable to the vehicles already discussed. And there's a similar SUV from almost every other manufacturer as well.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 12:00 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
This past spring we got ready to head out for the Appreciation Rally. We were fully packed about 2:30 in the afternoon, both the trailer and the Highlander. I was tired. However Rita has it in mind to get our rig weighed before we hit the road.
So we headed to the local quarry and weighed the whole rig, pulled around the back of the scale house, dropped the trailer, went back over the scale for just the Highlander. Then back around to hook back up. I had put some stuff in the Highlander which I wasn’t sure I would take with us. We still had leeway in the Highlander with a 500 lb tongue weight, cargo, and passengers. Once home I took about 75 or 100 lbs out like our campfire in a can, some wood cribbing, a case of water etc. The scale master even brought the readout to me as I was hooking up. I was glad I did this little project. Why? Peace of my mind, off the table as “I wish we would have weighed this “ from my traveling partner, and my ability to be very specific when asked what the rig weighed. Which happens a lot when talking to people looking at our rig.
4380 lbs on the 21 out of 5000 lbs rating. 87.6%
I don’t listen to people I don’t know and respect personally . Many on the internet are, as my dad would say, “spit ballers” . I think for myself and relate my own experience. My hide is thick and my head is hard like a brick. See you in North Dakota and Montana next week.
Iowa Dave
Dave is that 4380 on the axles and 500 on the tongue= total weight 4880?
Old 08-02-2019, 12:37 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape #2 On The Way
That’s insane. You have left over tongue weight with a highlander towing a 21? And here I am, won’t put a bed cap on my Tundra because I’m encroaching my max tongue weight with cargo included with my 19. Good for you, though, doing it right and going to the weigh scale..
Bakes99 is offline   Reply With Quote