It's all mine and I love it!!! - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2015, 06:43 PM   #41

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B - 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid
That is SO true, Loren! It flew . . . and I needed every single moment of it for Forum questioning/learning, Build Sheet decisions selling Civic, buying TV (see guys, I now even now the difference between TV and T.V.) , packing, storing, junking, giving away, renting condo and that never-ending list of thing "To Do."
And it literally took me up until the last day to get everything accomplished!
Fortunately I switched from a 15 (which would have been ready in August) to the 17.
Take good care!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
Ellen, I also remember when you joined the forum. Now that your wait is over, you have to admit one thing. It didn't take very long, did it? Loren
Old 10-24-2015, 06:48 PM   #42

Hey Tim & Julie,

I don't recall what year Dave has but his has the switch by the door that controls the indoor lights. Mine only has the switch to the outside light. I haven't read further than this on the Forum yet so will be interested to see what others may say.

Yes, Dave and Bob are really great! I flew in to Spokane, rented a car and stayed at the motel very close to the Rally in Osoyoos. So walked over Friday night and even though the trailers were going to be open to show on Saturday, Dave had his balloon out Friday night. The rest is history! "Fortunate" is an understatement!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
Ellen, I was curious about this statement in that I thought since 2013 two switches by the door were standard. One controls the outside light and the other controls the dual ceiling light. However, for it to work at least one of the switches needs to be on at the light. Others can chime in here but the switch should have been standard.

By the way, we met Dave and Bob two years ago at Osooyoos and always enjoy their company. How fortunate to get some time in Peachland before heading home.
Old 10-24-2015, 06:56 PM   #43

Hey Pat!

Yes, I love the cocoon-ish feeling of the bed like that with the walls.

Another thing I thought: Doubt I will ever slip and fall in the shower!!! Nowhere to fall but on the toilet!

Dave suggested a little LED light and they were only $3.95 so picked one up at Home Depot. I hung on the cupboard handle. Could just carry a flashlight. Could also have programmed my memory where the closest switch was I guess!

[light on the range hood? OK, I'm at Starbucks and will look when I get back but am guessing it's just one more thing I haven't noticed yet.]

Step by step . . .

Take care, Pat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOleMan View Post
Ellen, I feel the same about my 17B and it's outfitted much like yours with the bed up front but without the captains lights. Yep, with those walls at both the head and foot of th' bed there's no worry 'bout falling out in the middle of the night. The thing I've done for light when coming back in at night is leave the range hood light on. The original light has been replaced with an LED so there's practically no drain on the batteries.
Old 10-24-2015, 07:01 PM   #44

Thanks, Paul. Good information! I choose taking it to a shop!
Can't help but wonder why if the two sets of wires are there, the switch to the interior lights isn't standard. Or, an option. Again, it may have been an option that I just missed.
No biggy tho in the scope of things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrisetrucker View Post
Hi Ellen
I felt the same when we picked up our 17B so I traced the wires going to the lights and what I discovered was that there are 2 sets of wires going up inside the door frame. One set for the out side door light (those are connected to your switch) and one set for the four seater dinette lights. If you get a flat screw driver you can remove the cover for the light switch and then remove the switch itself. You can then change the wires around so that the dinette light wires are connected to the switch, which will now work the dinette lights. Or you can go to CW and buy another switch, mount that one bellow the existing switch and connect the dinette lights to it. There is enough slack in the wires to allow you to do that.

I just switch the wires around didn't bother to ad another light switch. If your not comfortable doing that yourself it should only take a shop about 15 minutes and so wouldn't cost very much.

Hope this helps

Paul
Old 10-24-2015, 07:05 PM   #45

OK, that explains it! Glad you ordered another switch -- nice little convenience.
Thanks Greg and Teresa!!!
p.s. The 17B is beyond awesome.
[I was saying "awesome" during my driving lesson with Valley Driving. I said maybe I'm a bit old to still be saying "awesome," but it just fits so often. Howard said, no, no, never too old, that he says it all the time. That was comforting -- then realized he's about 30 years younger than I am!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregandTeresa View Post
We have a 2016 17B on order, and from what I understand, only one switch in the doorway (for the outside light) is standard. We did order another switch for an interior light as an option (I think it was around $35).
Old 10-24-2015, 07:07 PM   #46

Thanks, Sandra, it really IS so much fun!
I've got the little LED now but the photosensitive night light is a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra L View Post
Congratulations! In the older models there is a light by the door attached to the cabinet over the wardrobe, facing the fridge cabinet, with an on/off switch.
You may wish to get one of those photosensitive night lights. I have one and it helps even though all I have to do is reach up and turn the cabinet one on.
So glad you're having a great time.
Old 10-24-2015, 07:15 PM   #47

Hey Steve,

First of all congratulations -- your due date is not that far away. The 17B is really wonderful. Actually, when I ordered it (a year ago September), I had only seen skiman's 21 so kind of ordered blind. Great decision!

Happy if my comments helped!!! Hope you'll take advantage of the knowledge of the Forum members. As those who have seen my posts through the past year know, no question was ever too newbie-ish to ask and the Forum was extremely responsive and supportive.

And if you have any questions about the 17B in particular, please ask or message me. Now I know why everyone's so happy to talk about their Escapes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
EDarby, your enthusiasm is catching! We pick up our 17B on 15 Feb. I've been a slacker with respect to options we should get...your comments have given me some ideas. Thanks!
P.S. Our final build sheet is due 10 November...I need to get moving on this.
Old 10-24-2015, 07:25 PM   #48
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Ellen, I'm not certain about your layout and plugs and while I have all three switches at the door jam, one of the best things I've purchased is a day/night red LED light that I plugged in right at the door. It doesn't blind me and is on when I need to make one of those middle-of-the-night trips. Maybe that would work for you too?
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 07:40 PM   #49

Trailer: 2007 Escape 17B (sold); Currently 2013 19
At costco you can get those portable stick-on puck lights that come with a remote control and remote holder. I stuck the remote by the front door and with a press of the on button, it turns on the puck light that it under the cabinet. Super inexpensive and might work until you wire in another switch? Glad you are loving your 17B, they are TOTALLY awesome!!
lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 11:46 AM   #50

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
I don't know how much switch placement varies from model to model, but our 21 has 2 switches inside the door. One for the entry light and one for the light on the left side of the trailer which is nice when hooking up services in the dark. This light is below the center band and I have never heard of anyone else mentioning it. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 04:42 PM   #51

Trailer: 5.0 TA - Sept. 2015, 2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
Hi Ellen!
It's been quite a while since I've been on the forum to read or post. Was so glad to see this thread and we are thrilled for you! I remember when we met you for breakfast I believe the last day in August, on our way out to ETI to pick up our 5.0 TA.
I believe we have 2 switches besides the porch light that we added as options and I almost want to say we read about them on the forum. I don't believe when we ordered that they were on an options list but I could be wrong!
I like the idea of your little light. I have a puck light that I use for the wardrobe cupboard that we use with 4 shelves instead of a hanging rod. (The overhead light would have needed to be 2' over in order to see in.)
Love reading all about your adventures! And hopefully we will meet on the road. We are still on the road... Currently in Oklahoma and will be heading down to Florida. First to Niceville and then to the Ocala area before heading up to North Carolina, Then New Jersey before heading home to New Hamshire.
We've loved every minute of it.
It's true that everyone camps differently. We have yet to take much advantage of our solar and inverter, but it's just our first time out. We've used it a little bit though.
Safe travels my friend! Get the wifi when you can! That's my biggest demon... Not having wifi often enough! The campgrounds offer wifi, but it's never been very useful. Certainly not enough to post photos. YMMV
HAPPY TRAILS!
Lucy
Joe Walsh
Charlie & Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 06:16 PM   #52

Trailer: Escape 21' 2016
Congratulations! Reading all of your posts really creates an excitement for anyone getting ready to pick up theirs! (We have a Jan, 2016 pick up date for our 21). Your 17B sounds perfect for you! Your options will work great for you and your research paid off. I wish you many years of fun and safe traveling. Maybe some day, we will cross paths!
2005 Toyota 4Runner
Carla Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 06:20 PM   #53

Trailer: Escape 21' 2016
Thanks, Donna. The night lights are just what I've been looking for, and I immediately ordered a pair. You have such great ideas. Thanks for sharing...
2005 Toyota 4Runner
Carla Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 06:37 PM   #54

Those look very cool, thanks Donna!
Speaking of middle-of-the-night trips, I arrived at Camano Island State Park and though my site is awesome, it was very difficult to back in. After maneuvering for 20 minutes, just stopped and decided that was it. After unhooking, noticed how un-level I was. Decided to just go for it. Last night, for my first middleof-the-night trip, got out of bed and almost ran down to the dinette. That's an exaggeration, but I can really feel the slope!
Step by step, day by day, little by little . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Ellen, I'm not certain about your layout and plugs and while I have all three switches at the door jam, one of the best things I've purchased is a day/night red LED light that I plugged in right at the door. It doesn't blind me and is on when I need to make one of those middle-of-the-night trips. Maybe that would work for you too?
Old 10-25-2015, 06:38 PM   #55

Lovin' all these ideas, thanks Lorrie.
And you are, like, totally awesome, fer sure!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrie View Post
At costco you can get those portable stick-on puck lights that come with a remote control and remote holder. I stuck the remote by the front door and with a press of the on button, it turns on the puck light that it under the cabinet. Super inexpensive and might work until you wire in another switch? Glad you are loving your 17B, they are TOTALLY awesome!!
Old 10-25-2015, 06:39 PM   #56

That's sounds just about perfect, Loren!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
I don't know how much switch placement varies from model to model, but our 21 has 2 switches inside the door. One for the entry light and one for the light on the left side of the trailer which is nice when hooking up services in the dark. This light is below the center band and I have never heard of anyone else mentioning it. Loren
Old 10-25-2015, 06:48 PM   #57

Hi Lucy!!!

Happy you were able to get back on the Forum. Tough to catch up when you're not able to have wifi!!! I'm hoping to use my new iphone (which I haven't been able to locate yet--darn Apple) as a hot spot in order to have wifi in the Escape. We shall see. In the meantime, Starbucks is great--fast wifi, a cup o' tea and I can sit here to my heart's content.

Yes, it was so great to meet you guys in Cleveland and do look forward to the time we can meet on the road! I just sent you an email with a lot of catch up.

Happy Trails back to you guys!
ellen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie & Lucy View Post
Hi Ellen!
It's been quite a while since I've been on the forum to read or post. Was so glad to see this thread and we are thrilled for you! I remember when we met you for breakfast I believe the last day in August, on our way out to ETI to pick up our 5.0 TA.
I believe we have 2 switches besides the porch light that we added as options and I almost want to say we read about them on the forum. I don't believe when we ordered that they were on an options list but I could be wrong!
I like the idea of your little light. I have a puck light that I use for the wardrobe cupboard that we use with 4 shelves instead of a hanging rod. (The overhead light would have needed to be 2' over in order to see in.)
Love reading all about your adventures! And hopefully we will meet on the road. We are still on the road... Currently in Oklahoma and will be heading down to Florida. First to Niceville and then to the Ocala area before heading up to North Carolina, Then New Jersey before heading home to New Hamshire.
We've loved every minute of it.
It's true that everyone camps differently. We have yet to take much advantage of our solar and inverter, but it's just our first time out. We've used it a little bit though.
Safe travels my friend! Get the wifi when you can! That's my biggest demon... Not having wifi often enough! The campgrounds offer wifi, but it's never been very useful. Certainly not enough to post photos. YMMV
HAPPY TRAILS!
Lucy
Old 10-25-2015, 06:50 PM   #58

Thanks so much, Carla Jean! January is right around the corner!!! I'm excited for you!!!!
DO hope to cross paths one of these days!
Take good care,
ellen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla Jean View Post
Congratulations! Reading all of your posts really creates an excitement for anyone getting ready to pick up theirs! (We have a Jan, 2016 pick up date for our 21). Your 17B sounds perfect for you! Your options will work great for you and your research paid off. I wish you many years of fun and safe traveling. Maybe some day, we will cross paths!
Old 10-25-2015, 06:52 PM   #59

For the record, I am so tired at looking at my avatar -- enough with the camera lens!!!
MUST replace that soon!!!