Kitchen garbage can??? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2017, 10:03 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
Kitchen garbage can???

Looking at photos of the 21'' I have just realized that my cute little garbage can that I had with my Casita will not fit under the kitchen counter in the Escape because there are two cabinet doors stacked one above the other and neither one would fit my little garbage can.... Does anyone have a solution for an under counter garbage container?
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:30 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
I use a small wastebasket and for one person it is more than adequate as I rarely have to empty it more than every other day.
Attached Thumbnails
August 21 2016-137.jpg  
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
I use a small wastebasket and for one person it is more than adequate.
Well maybe mine will fit after all. MIne is 13" I wonder what the measurements on the 21' lower cabinet is....
Old 03-19-2017, 10:57 PM   #4

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
Well maybe mine will fit after all. MIne is 13" I wonder what the measurements on the 21' lower cabinet is....
I can measure for ya tomorrow if you still need it. I use a small can that I originally glued to the cabinet door so I could easily use it when opening the door on the left. Gorilla Glue, but it didn't hold through the first trip out in the trailer. (It was an attachment that the can fit in.) So, I just set it on the counter or flip up counter or reach under while it's inside the cabinet. I use a small plastic bag inside and empty it once a day.

I might try some adhesive velcro next time around.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:45 PM   #5

Trailer: 2005 Aliner, 17B due in April/17
Someone (gbaglo maybe?) has his on the inside of the door, which I thought was a great use of space. Probably won't work with the new screen door.
blhvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:06 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Here's an older thread where this was addressed. Garbage Can Solution.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:12 AM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Don't think my solution would work on a 21'.
But, the trash can is a decent size for small spaces.
I do have a hook that hangs over the top of a cupboard door. I think I got it at Urban Whatchamacallit that might be adapted.
Attached Thumbnails
inside door.jpg   Trash 2.jpg   Trash can.png   door gasket and trash.jpg  
Old 03-20-2017, 07:11 AM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Since garbage cans aren't the most attractive things in the world, especially when the top is open and literally garbage can be seen I prefer the can in Ten Forward be hidden. A 1-1/2 gallon Rubbermaid can, lined with a grocery store plastic bag works for me. Fits well, emptied once a day
Attached Thumbnails
GarbageCan.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:54 AM   #9

Trailer: 2012 19
What about just having one trashcan in the bathroom? Not much different in opening the bathroom door or one of the other storage doors.

Graham
gyuill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:12 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Since garbage cans aren't the most attractive things in the world, especially when the top is open and literally garbage can be seen I prefer the can in Ten Forward be hidden. A 1-1/2 gallon Rubbermaid can, lined with a grocery store plastic bag works for me. Fits well, emptied once a day

I like this idea!

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
I like this idea!
Me too! Fred what do yall use? i am still wondering if my 13" flip top will fit.
Nancy
Old 03-20-2017, 10:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
I can measure for ya tomorrow if you still need it. I use a small can that I originally glued to the cabinet door so I could easily use it when opening the door on the left. Gorilla Glue, but it didn't hold through the first trip out in the trailer. (It was an attachment that the can fit in.) So, I just set it on the counter or flip up counter or reach under while it's inside the cabinet. I use a small plastic bag inside and empty it once a day.

I might try some adhesive velcro next time around.
Cat, that would be great if you measure it for me.
Nancy
Old 03-20-2017, 10:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
Here's an older thread where this was addressed. Garbage Can Solution.
Thanks Mary F... I checked out the other site and many of the links are outdated. Organize. come doesn't sell them anymore, but I did find that organizeit still sells the 1 gal. racksack. that uses grocery store bags and has a plastic lid. Organize.com has a rack but with no lid.

Thanks for the info.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:44 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape #2 - 2017 ‘21; 2018 Silverado 2500 (diesel, crew cab, long box, 4X4, SnugTop, air bags)
I purchased this trash can from Amazon. It fits perfectly between the end of the bed and the cabinet in my 21, freeing up space under the sink.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 03-21-2017, 09:52 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
We use this one. Walmart bags fit perfectly as liners.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 03-21-2017, 10:44 AM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Hello Quilting Lady.
We bought the garbage can from Ikea called Filur.$14.99.
Fits between the end of the bed and cabinet.Went to the hardware store and got some rubber feet with screws.Removed the screws and glued the rubber feet to the bottom (4) and four on the side.It stays in place, will not slide and has a practical lid that does not interfere with the setup.Will check WalMart for right size bags.Got the small model for the bathroom.It comes in white only.
Allan.
Allan Bornestig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:16 PM   #17

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
It's complicated....

I haven't seen anyone respond yet with actual measurements, so I'll provide a few, but it gets complicated. There are three lower cabinets on the driver's side: 1) under the fridge = 11.5" wide opening x 10.5" high opening x 11" deep, 2) under the closet = 18" wide opening x 11.5" high opening x 11" deep, 3) under the heater = 12.5" wide opening x 11.5" high opening x 9" deep (these take into account the door latch that sticks out into the door opening a bit). Each cabinet has about 3" more height once inside the cabinet, but about 1.5" less depth because of the brace board on the floor just inside (somewhat visible in the second photo). FWIW, we put a small (1.5 gallon?) plastic trash can lined with a shopping bag at the foot of the bed when preparing a meal, then place it into the cabinet under the heater when not in general use to get it out from underfoot. Whenever the bag is full, we use that as an excuse to take a nice little stroll to the nearest campsite dumpster. Note that the other two cabinets do not have tubes passing through them like the one under the heater does.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC09277.jpg   DSC09278.jpg   DSC09279.jpg  
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 05:45 PM   #18

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Sorry it took me so long to reply. Been busy getting the trailer ready for another outing this weekend, plus a sewing project that took far longer than I expected.

This is the trash container I use. Picked it up at an RV dealer and store in Spokane last year. Heck if I know who makes it. It measures appx 8" wide by 4.5" deep by 7" high.

I keep it under the sink when I'm not using it and it's small enough to easily put on the kitchen counter or the flip up counter when I need to use it.

The measurements will vary under there, due to the plumbing and heck if I know if that's different between the different trailers, sinks and/or faucets. I only know that I measured mine at 12" high (from frame to frame, I believe as that's how I usually measure cabinets as you need to know what will fit through the opening). 8.5" in front of the plumbing and 21.5" deep on the other side of the plumbing. (I have a bin of snacks there as it would be too deep to reach under for a trash container all the time.) The cabinet is appx 25" wide.

I use some black plastic bags I picked up at Costco Business that I use for sales when I'm vending at a show. They're the same size as those white ones you always see that say "Thank You" on them. Probably around the same size as the grocery bags that I never get as I always shop with reusable bags.

As you can see from the photo, I also keep the extra stash of bags next to the trash container.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC05209.jpg   DSC05210.jpg  
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote