Learn from our awning disaster! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2012, 08:18 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
Learn from our awning disaster!

Howdy,

FYI...While camping our way home this last July, the awning on our new 5.0 was destroyed. We had used it a half a dozen times and two days before on the Oregon coast during a light rain. While driving in eastern Oregon we hit a dry thunderstorm with 50mph winds and blowing dust. When suddenly our awning opened about three feet or so. Before we could get pulled over and stopped, the rivets attaching the feet of both lower arm assemblies gave way and the whole awning was dragging and flailing about in the wind. It was apparent that is was going to need to take it completely off to continue travel. My poor wife was trying to hold on to the awning in strong winds and keep it from damaging the trailer while I cut the torn vinyl and unbolted the upper mounting brackets. After getting it off I had to take the arm assembies off the roller to load the whole thing up. SUPRISE! They are spring loaded and damm thing nearly took my thumb off as it unsprung. Then I lash the roller to the truck which is 10' long onto a 6' bed with 5'er in tow to continue our journey. We were very lucky that no major damage was done to the trailer.

Reace was a champion through all this. Carefree of Colorado was not so much and will not deal with the public. Replacement parts are sold only through RV dealers. And my replacement cost was around $600.00 and a month to get.
I installed it myself with the help of two others.

From here on out, my awning will have a strap on the front end to keep it from ever opening up while driving. To this day I am not sure just what caused it to bellow open. I believe I had closed it properly and the black lock knobs were tight.

I am sure most of you have had thousands of trouble free miles concerning your awning. I wanted to share this disaster story. Maybe it can prevent this happing to someone else.

David

daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:27 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Re: Learn from our awning disaster!

Probably doesn't apply in this case, but I like to take care of all operations and checks when hooking up and unhooking. When I travel with my buddy Keath in his trailer, I stand back unless he asks me to do something.

I adopted this approach after watching a couple guys back down a boat ramp. The truck braked, but the 26' boat with twin inboard/outboard motors did not, causing probably $6,000 damage to the legs. Seems the helpful friend had unhooked the bow-line from the trailer...

baglo
Old 10-07-2012, 10:22 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19

just ordered some straps from Amazon, better safe than sorry....
Old 10-08-2012, 05:37 AM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA

Two for $11 and supports a fellow egg owner's small business, Little House Customs: http://www.littlehousecustoms.com/store Find it about 2/3 the way down the page.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:57 AM   #5

I saw those listed but they seem too long as they go around a box awning vs just the supports. I did not wish to cut them and maybe mess up the velcro. Found a set of adjustable ones elsewhere.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:36 AM   #6

Dave and Sandy,
I'm sorry to hear about your awning accident, and I'm glad it didn't result in more extensive damage or injury.

A friend gave me a couple of strong velcro straps for the awning arms. Until that time I had not considered them necessary, but once I began using them I was delighted with the sense of security they brought. I even use them when the trailer is parked at home.

I don't know about others, but I always close the awning when we are away from the trailer and also when we go to bed at night.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:50 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: Garand...Good idea too. A sudden wind caught a campers rope& pole awning at Niagara Wine Escape once and they were away touring. By the time I got there the awning was flipped up on the roof with the legs pointing skyward. Tiedowns are a must.
I bought a roll of doublesided velcro to use as a lash to hold a coffemaker to the pole on the Boler counter...but it has many app's as you can cut it to the proper length needed to hold an awning closed.
Seems we always "Close the door after the horse has bolted". Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:05 AM   #8

I was about to send a question concerning the awning. Yesterday, I was camping near key west and decided to open up the awning. I checked out Tammy's video. My problem is I loosened up the black knob on one side too much and the flat nut and knob fell out. I now can't get them back together. Anyone have any ideas on a fix? I don't understand why the awning is made this way and if I missed something on the instruction video?

Roger from Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:31 AM   #9

Hi: Roger from Florida...The black knobs allow the inner support arms to slide up, extend and lock to help prevent flapping. The white travel locks are to clamp the inner/outer arms together. It might take an RV. tech some time to replace the knob and nut... but I'm sure it can be done. The biggie problem could be the spring loaded aspect of the roller while taking the arms apart. I don't think I would attempt the repair. Alf
Old 10-08-2012, 08:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger from Florida
I was about to send a question concerning the awning. Yesterday, I was camping near key west and decided to open up the awning. I checked out Tammy's video. My problem is I loosened up the black knob on one side too much and the flat nut and knob fell out. I now can't get them back together. Anyone have any ideas on a fix? I don't understand why the awning is made this way and if I missed something on the instruction video?

I haven't had that problem YET, but its easy to see how it might happen. I suspect you may have to disassemble the lower portion of the awning leg to get the nut and knob re-mated. It might be a bit tricky to get the bottom portion rejoined, but patience should get it back together.

HTH,
Dave
Old 10-08-2012, 09:28 AM   #11

Has anyone removed the awning leg from the trailer bottom and used them in the vertical position, particularly the one by the door to allow easier egress? They appear to have holes for pegs.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 (jim)
Has anyone removed the awning leg from the trailer bottom and used them in the vertical position, particularly the one by the door to allow easier egress? They appear to have holes for pegs.
Hi: cpaharley2008...That's the "Carport" option. Lots of people do that and some "T" handle pegs would fit thru the holes. If in one place for a time I'd do it. Alf
Old 10-08-2012, 11:10 AM   #13

Trailer: 2010 Escape 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 (jim)
Here is a photo of our trailer with the awning legs in the vertical position:
Ladybug at Bay View State Park #2

Same photo you will see here:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/

2003 Subaru Forester
2012 Toyota Highlander V6
2010 Escape 13 "Ladybug" Feb 2010
bvansnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:32 PM   #14

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th

I used to drop the legs to the verticle position all the time with our old trailer. I have done it with our 19ft and it really opens up the area. I have used the velcro straps for some time on previous trailers as well. They seem to work well as a back up safety precaution. Awnings are very expensive and a bit fragile. So a bit of care and attention seems like a good idea.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote