LED lights - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Old 09-22-2013, 05:26 PM   #1
Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
LED lights

I remember reading a few days ago that someone commented that instead of getting the LED package, we could replace the trailer lights with LEDs ourselves for less than the package would cost. I searched for it but couldn't find it. Can someone tell me if this is the case? Is there any advantage to having Escape put in the LEDs?

Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:54 PM   #2
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
You could possibly save a little, but you'd be researching the bulbs needed, buying them separately, and then installing them yourself...all at a time when you're new to the trailer and wanting to do other things with your time! I viewed it as just that much easier to have Escape do it and have it over with. In the case of my trailer it was eleven bulbs, if I'm counting correctly. And then you'd have all those incandescent bulbs sitting around waiting for a new home.

2009 Tacoma Crew Cab, TRD 4WD
2007 Tundra Double Cab TRD 4WD
2014 Escape 19
2007 Norwegian Elkhound "Baxter"
santacruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:02 PM   #3
There seems two levels of pricing for LED's, a much higher commercial price and the price you can get on the internet or at flea markets. On the internet you are likely buying a similar or brighter LED for way less. At flea markets you don't have nearly as much choice usually but they are still way less. The last LED's I bought were $1.25 each at a flea market not super bright but plenty good enough for some of the counter lights. A friend of mine took the time to buy on the internet and did much better than I did.

I'm trusting my memory but I believe the Escape LED light package was comparable to Camping World prices for lights. You will save $$$ if you buy them on the internet/flea markets and install them yourself. You need to know the brightness and tone of light you want (colder or warmer white). If you match the characteristics of the more expensive ones from the store versus internet etc. I don't think there is any difference other than price.

I should add you don't have to replace them immediately. Buy/change over a few and see how you like the light.

Dave D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:24 PM   #4
Site Team
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
I believe each trailer is different, add up the number of lights and then divide. On my 21' I believe there are 16 bulbs, so for $200 that is about $13/each, you can do the shopping...
never in doubt, often wrong
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:45 PM   #5
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Mine work great and were $15 each. If you multiply that by the number of bulbs needed, you would likely be better off just getting Escape to do it, and then it would be done. Plus like mentioned above, you would be wasting all the old incandescent ones. I know I have a few for free if anyone is interested.
2017 Escape 5.0 TA (someday soon, I hope )
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:47 PM   #6
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
I've been replacing mine as I go, which is why they are all different colours.
2009 Escape 17B "Toad"
2008 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport
North Vancouver, British Columbia

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:22 PM   #7
Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
The LED bulbs that I used on my Escape 19 were from suberbrightleds.com and cost about $14. They are part No. wled-whp10-d.jpg With the exception of the porch light they were an easy swap. Remember this was 2010 and I do not believe there was an LED option from Escape at that time.

What I like about these bulbs were the direction of the light was all down, onto the surface area that that needed the light. Second, I like the lumens, they are at 165 per bulb. Third these are using SMD's rather than LED's a minor difference but they are smaller. Finally these are the soft white version, rather than the bright white LED's.

That said, I would ask what is Escape using today? I read somewhere they were using Kaper, not sure if that is the fixture or the bulb. Also what are the lumens? With the constant updates to the Escape line, I assume they are still using a wedge base, what about the Captains Light and what about the porch light; what sort of base or bulb do they need?

If the lumens and color (natural white) are the same I would agree with CPA Jim, go with the Escape installed bulbs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wled-whp10-d.jpg (12.1 KB, 297 views)
Paul and Janet Braun
2003 Toyota 4Runner V8 now 2012 Toyota Sequoia V8
Escape 19' 2010 now 2014 Escape 21'
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:24 PM   #8
Trailer: 2011 19' Escape
Found the exact same LED bulb that Escape installs for $18.25 each plus shipping. So all said and done you might save $50.00. These LED bulbs have a screw on the top that helps hold in the bulb. A cheaper bulb may not have this and may be more susceptible to coming loose during a drive?

The picture is of a factory LED bulb with the screw in the top. They have built in surge protection circuitry, are a neutral white (warm), .12 amp draw & 171 Lumens
Attached Images
File Type: jpg light.jpg (28.5 KB, 11 views)
2009 Chevy Silverado
2011 19' Escape
182king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:41 PM   #9
Site Team
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I'm the first to admit I'm cheap. I figure for every dollar I keep in my pocket I can spend it somewhere else. Looking at my preliminary build sheet that $225 for all the LEDs made me inhale deeply and sharply. However, I do quite a bit of online buying and I know the time and trials of buying online... plus S&H and I hate to pay S&H (shhh, don't tell anyone... I work for a transportation company!). Then you have the problem if something doesn't work.. it's broken all the hassle of returns... ick. Then fortunately my buds went to Escape the first of the month. Kathie told me the LED lighting was very, very nice. I guess they're getting it, looks like I will too. Sometimes it just best to go with the flow and in the long run I expect it really will save me money. YMMV

OMG I just checked the link 182king provided. Panther RV is 15 miles from my house! Hummmmm.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:55 PM   #10
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
We had Escape install all LEDs in our 19 when they built it. Maybe it cost a few pesos more than if I shopped online and did it myself; but I am very happy with the lighting. I would do the same again.

Dave W - 2013 Escape 19' and 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser

"When you arrive at a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra
ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote