LED lights - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2013, 05:26 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
LED lights

I remember reading a few days ago that someone commented that instead of getting the LED package, we could replace the trailer lights with LEDs ourselves for less than the package would cost. I searched for it but couldn't find it. Can someone tell me if this is the case? Is there any advantage to having Escape put in the LEDs?
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:54 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
You could possibly save a little, but you'd be researching the bulbs needed, buying them separately, and then installing them yourself...all at a time when you're new to the trailer and wanting to do other things with your time! I viewed it as just that much easier to have Escape do it and have it over with. In the case of my trailer it was eleven bulbs, if I'm counting correctly. And then you'd have all those incandescent bulbs sitting around waiting for a new home.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:02 PM   #3

There seems two levels of pricing for LED's, a much higher commercial price and the price you can get on the internet or at flea markets. On the internet you are likely buying a similar or brighter LED for way less. At flea markets you don't have nearly as much choice usually but they are still way less. The last LED's I bought were $1.25 each at a flea market not super bright but plenty good enough for some of the counter lights. A friend of mine took the time to buy on the internet and did much better than I did.

I'm trusting my memory but I believe the Escape LED light package was comparable to Camping World prices for lights. You will save $$$ if you buy them on the internet/flea markets and install them yourself. You need to know the brightness and tone of light you want (colder or warmer white). If you match the characteristics of the more expensive ones from the store versus internet etc. I don't think there is any difference other than price.

I should add you don't have to replace them immediately. Buy/change over a few and see how you like the light.

Dave
Dave D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:24 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I believe each trailer is different, add up the number of lights and then divide. On my 21' I believe there are 16 bulbs, so for $200 that is about $13/each, you can do the shopping...
Old 09-22-2013, 06:45 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Mine work great and were $15 each. If you multiply that by the number of bulbs needed, you would likely be better off just getting Escape to do it, and then it would be done. Plus like mentioned above, you would be wasting all the old incandescent ones. I know I have a few for free if anyone is interested.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:47 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I've been replacing mine as I go, which is why they are all different colours.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:22 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
The LED bulbs that I used on my Escape 19 were from suberbrightleds.com and cost about $14. They are part No. wled-whp10-d.jpg With the exception of the porch light they were an easy swap. Remember this was 2010 and I do not believe there was an LED option from Escape at that time.

What I like about these bulbs were the direction of the light was all down, onto the surface area that that needed the light. Second, I like the lumens, they are at 165 per bulb. Third these are using SMD's rather than LED's a minor difference but they are smaller. Finally these are the soft white version, rather than the bright white LED's.

That said, I would ask what is Escape using today? I read somewhere they were using Kaper, not sure if that is the fixture or the bulb. Also what are the lumens? With the constant updates to the Escape line, I assume they are still using a wedge base, what about the Captains Light and what about the porch light; what sort of base or bulb do they need?

If the lumens and color (natural white) are the same I would agree with CPA Jim, go with the Escape installed bulbs.
Attached Images

fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:24 PM   #8

Trailer: 2011 19' Escape
Found the exact same LED bulb that Escape installs for $18.25 each plus shipping. So all said and done you might save $50.00. These LED bulbs have a screw on the top that helps hold in the bulb. A cheaper bulb may not have this and may be more susceptible to coming loose during a drive?

http://panther-rvproducts.com/LED-Wedge-Mount-Replacement-Bulb-18-SMD-LED-Neutral-White-05-0030-NW.htm

The picture is of a factory LED bulb with the screw in the top. They have built in surge protection circuitry, are a neutral white (warm), .12 amp draw & 171 Lumens
Attached Thumbnails
light.jpg  
Old 09-22-2013, 07:41 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I'm the first to admit I'm cheap. I figure for every dollar I keep in my pocket I can spend it somewhere else. Looking at my preliminary build sheet that $225 for all the LEDs made me inhale deeply and sharply. However, I do quite a bit of online buying and I know the time and trials of buying online... plus S&H and I hate to pay S&H (shhh, don't tell anyone... I work for a transportation company!). Then you have the problem if something doesn't work.. it's broken all the hassle of returns... ick. Then fortunately my buds went to Escape the first of the month. Kathie told me the LED lighting was very, very nice. I guess they're getting it, looks like I will too. Sometimes it just best to go with the flow and in the long run I expect it really will save me money. YMMV

OMG I just checked the link 182king provided. Panther RV is 15 miles from my house! Hummmmm.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:55 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
We had Escape install all LEDs in our 19 when they built it. Maybe it cost a few pesos more than if I shopped online and did it myself; but I am very happy with the lighting. I would do the same again.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:22 PM   #11

Thanks everyone -- One way or the other we're going to end up with LED lights --
Old 09-22-2013, 11:18 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
After reading some posts we were concerned about the brightness and quality of the LED's Escape installs. When we were at the factory Tammy showed us the lights they are currently using and we are very happy with the brightness and the (neutral) warm white. I didn't count the bulbs but if cpa is correct then $200 seems a reasonable price.

Kathie
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:53 AM   #13

I just wish I had the free time needed to install my own lights instead of a factory install. Life is too short.
Dog as Navigator
DonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:03 AM   #14

Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25B17.5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonM View Post
I just wish I had the free time needed to install my own lights instead of a factory install. Life is too short.
It took me all of two minutes to order mine online and all of five minutes to install all the bulbs in our trailer. I'm pretty sure even the least handy person I know would maybe have taken 15 minutes for the whole process.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:16 AM   #15

Thanks Hillary -- We also will be leaving the cats behind! Tammy agreed that it would not be difficult to change the lights. She says that Escape offers a natural white LED that she doesn't think you can get after market. Any thoughts on whether there is a big difference?
Old 09-23-2013, 11:48 AM   #16

Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25B17.5G
I bought the cold white ones and the only time it bothers me is when I'm cooking! But I cheaped out and bought the $2 bulbs... We bought the trailer used so didn't have the option of having the factory do it. Honestly, if I were buying new after reading this thread I would just spend the money to have them do it with their bulbs! I just didn't want anyone to think that it was going to take them hours to change out the bulbs when it only takes a few minutes.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:53 AM   #17

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
Thanks Hillary -- We also will be leaving the cats behind! Tammy agreed that it would not be difficult to change the lights. She says that Escape offers a natural white LED that she doesn't think you can get after market. Any thoughts on whether there is a big difference?
The natural or warm white has less blue in it, the captain lights have the blueish led's or "cool white"the rest of the trailer has the warm. If you want, you can always replace the captain light bulbs later go here LED Bulb | E27, A19, PAR20, PAR30 Bulbs | Super Bright LEDs
Old 09-23-2013, 11:59 AM   #18

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Wink

Quote:
The stock wedge bulbs that Escape uses can be replaced in seconds. Pull one out and replace with LED.

While it is true that life is too short, it is the longest thing you'll ever do.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:06 PM   #19

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
....While it is true that life is too short, it is the longest thing you'll ever do.
I think the 7 months I had to wait to get my 19' after we ordered it from Escape was longer.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:02 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
I agree with things like this. Some mods I do for the fun of it, others that cost me time with very little financial gain, I prefer to go the easy route. I too would just order from the factory.

Sure it took my 10 minutes to place the order, and 10 minutes to install the bulbs, but I was left with wasted bulbs, and oh yeah.......I can't forget the 5 hours researching it took to come to the final decision of what to order. OR, the many hours (and dollars) I wasted buying some cheaper ones only to find out they did not do the job.

I base many of my decisions that use my time on the monetary value it entails. If it is something I don't care to do, and can get someone else to do for less than $50/hr, I will hire it done, and go and do what I do for a living to cover the cost. If it has a fun factor for me (as the majority of trailer project do, but not so for my cars), this does not apply. If it is time spent with family or friends, then that time is invaluable.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote