Legionnaires Disease from RV Hot Water System? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-18-2013, 12:39 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEyeDan View Post
I avoid anti-bacterial soaps, margarine, fake sweeteners, and the like.
Me too. I avoid a lot of processed foods too. I love cheese, but the processed stuff that Americans like to label as their own, we don't eat. Unless totally diligent, it is impossible to avoid them all, but I do try.

If I am really hungry, and all there is are hotdogs to eat, I am not going to pass one by.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:55 PM   #22

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
We don't call that stuff "American cheese" - we call it "Plastic".
Old 12-18-2013, 09:01 PM   #23

Trailer: not yet
"If I am really hungry, and all there is are hotdogs to eat, I am not going to pass one by."

Hey, there are some really good gourmet hot dogs being made now! Don't be trash talking about my dogs!
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:28 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 19' hatch date Feb. 27
Been thinking it might be better to winterized and sanitize the Escape with 100 proof Canadian Club, especially after Reace's warning about not getting the taste of nontoxic antifreeze out of the water lines.
ADKzookeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:13 AM   #25

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Well, here you go: Thetford Fresh Water Tank Sanitizer - Thetford 36662 - Fresheners & Softeners - Camping World But I like the Canadian Club idea better ...
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:48 PM   #26

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Me too. I avoid a lot of processed foods too. I love cheese, but the processed stuff that Americans like to label as their own, we don't eat. Unless totally diligent, it is impossible to avoid them all, but I do try.

Oh stop already with the sanctimony. You Canadians eat more than your share of Velveeta:

Velveeta Cheese- Kraft Canada
Greggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:22 AM   #27

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Actually, Jim grinds his own Velveeta.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:47 AM   #28

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Somebody told me frozen Velveeta can be shaped into a pretty decent hockey puck. Made out of the same stuff!
Greggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:38 AM   #29

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
Oh stop already with the sanctimony. You Canadians eat more than your share of Velveeta:

Yes, there's lots of processed cheese eaten here - although I only have a sloce of it on an occasional McDonald's burger - but we don't call it "Canadian" cheese. I assumed Jim was just referring to the naming... and by "we", he meant his household (not Canadians in general).

Personally, I think this kind of stuff only belongs (in powdered form) in Kraft Dinner.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:57 AM   #30

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Nothing irks me more than finding that I can't find a favorite product at my local Safeway, and that the shelf space is taken up by yet another Kraft product.
But, that's how it works these days. Kraft buys the premium space from Safeway ( and the other food stores ) and the little guy gets squeezed out.
If the little guy is too successful, Kraft buys them.
As long as consumers buy Kraft products, influenced by placement, price and advertising, there is nothing anyone can do about it, except eat Campbell's soups...
Old 12-30-2013, 06:55 AM   #31

Trailer: 2017 Bigfoot 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Nothing irks me more than finding that I can't find a favorite product at my local Safeway, and that the shelf space is taken up by yet another Kraft product.
But, that's how it works these days. Kraft buys the premium space from Safeway ( and the other food stores ) and the little guy gets squeezed out.
If the little guy is too successful, Kraft buys them.
As long as consumers buy Kraft products, influenced by placement, price and advertising, there is nothing anyone can do about it, except eat Campbell's soups...
Campbells left Sacramento this year after many years of operating a large processing plant. Shame to see the jobs leave.
DeadEyeDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:28 AM   #32

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: gbaglo... In the grand scheme of things...Kraft probably owns Campbell's too!!!
DeadEyeDan... Heinz is leaving Leamington Ontario and Kellog's is leaving London Ont. By not buying their products I should be right on my New Years resolution target to loose weight in 2014.
At least we can still trust Escape Trailer Ind. Ltd. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:59 AM   #33

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
I would expect if all water is effectively filtered and or sanitized prior to entry in the closed system, the problem would not occur.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:11 AM   #34

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post

Yes, but my point was that we don't put the Canadian name in the style, like Brain alluded to.

Probably due to our influence on our kids, but they would not eat processed cheese either. Someone once told us that Cheese Whiz could never go bad, but after a couple years of hanging out in our fridge unused, it certainly did.

I know I am getting it on some burgers I buy, and I will willingly eat it if that is how it is made, I just MUCH prefer so many other kinds of cheese. I am not a fan of processed (for the sake of preservation) anything really. I know hot dogs won't kill me, but give me a good sausage any day.

When I was a kid, my mom bought the bricks of Velveeta, and put them on sandwiches. I don't recollect not wanting to eat it then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Actually, Jim grinds his own Velveeta.
Don't need to, I can just inhale the cheese packs from KD.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:13 PM   #35

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I love the maple leaf but, uh-oh... I must apologize to Canada....
Attached Thumbnails
cover1.jpg  
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:14 PM   #36

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I am not a fan of processed (for the sake of preservation) anything really. I know hot dogs won't kill me, but give me a good sausage any day.
Hmmm... but a "hot dog" (or rather the tube of meat in it) is a sausage - a weiner (Vienna sausage) or Frankfurter (Frankfurt-style sausage). Yes it is typically cured (as are most kinds of sausage), although it is normally sold fully cooked. An all-sausage diet would be terrible, but some of any sausage seems reasonable; as with any food - or even water - understanding what you're actually getting is good.

Quote:
I can just inhale the cheese packs from KD.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:02 PM   #37

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra L View Post
I would expect if all water is effectively filtered and or sanitized prior to entry in the closed system, the problem would not occur.
True but eliminating that particular bacteria would require ultra filtration, reverse osmosis or a sustained oxidizing sanitation water treatment before it arrives at your local.

Maintaining your hot water tank set points (especially electric ones) at or above 60c/140f is best practice to reduce the risk of this particular bacteria in the water supply chain.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:47 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burloak View Post

Maintaining your hot water tank set points (especially electric ones) at or above 60c/140f is best practice to reduce the risk of this particular bacteria in the water supply chain.
Just be aware that at that temperature you will get a 3rd degree burn in under 5 seconds. I was not aware that you could set the temp on our water heaters. I was under the impression that the temp settings were set at the factory.

2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD Diesel 4x4
scubarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:50 PM   #39

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubarx View Post
Just be aware that at that temperature you will get a 3rd degree burn in under 5 seconds. I was not aware that you could set the temp on our water heaters. I was under the impression that the temp settings were set at the factory.
Glad you mentioned that as everything I have read lately recommends 120F for water heaters to prevent serious burns, especially for families with children. It also saves quite a bit of energy over 140F.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2013...ping-burn-risk

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:33 PM   #40

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Glad you mentioned that as everything I have read lately recommends 120F for water heaters to prevent serious burns, especially for families with children. It also saves quite a bit of energy over 140F.

Many Water Heaters Set Too High, Upping Burn Risk : Shots - Health News : NPR
The problem is most RV water heaters do not have adjustable water temperatures, and, because of the small tank volume, set the temperature high to extend the mixed temperature in the shower, etc. I know the tank temperature in my 17 is way too hot to use straight out of the faucet...