lets see photos of your bed coverings! - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2017, 03:49 PM   #61

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 ("Hotel California" -Aug 2017) Tow is 2016 GMC Canyon Duromax Diesel
Wow, they are beautiful! One day since I can't sew, I'm going to have to commission a custom quilt from somewhere.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:00 PM   #62

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter View Post
This is one of the quilts my wife made for our Escape. In reality we have several quilts so they get rotated often.
Very impressive! She could open a store with all of those.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 05:21 PM   #63

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
This is one of the quilts my wife made for our Escape. In reality we have several quilts so they get rotated often.
Wow! And there's about a bazillion colors you can use on pillows that will look good with that quilt. Yay for bright colors!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 06:31 PM   #64

Trailer: 5.0 ta 2017 "Pied Beauty"
Wow! And Wow! So many pretty colors and patterns.
tom and susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:46 PM   #65

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Looks great, Arnie!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Hey, your head will cover it while sleeping, so who cares?

Exactly!

I greatly admire anyone who does a quilt! Yay for her! Thanks for sharing. I like it!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallyHo View Post
love the woodsy colors, perfect for a camper. Did she hand quilt all that? If so that's very impressive quilting! I'm a big fan of wool batting too. My Mom has made us quilts with wool and so warm for the weight. We're planning on bringing one with us for our pick up in a few weeks!
No, it is machine quilted on a long arm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrgtic4 View Post
I think I love all handmade quilts !
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom and susan View Post
Beautiful and practical. Perfect for snuggling. Susan
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
Love the quilt!
Thank you all for your kind words. My wife will be thrilled!
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:48 PM   #66

Quote:
Does she go the the Sisters, OR outdoor quilt show? We were there 2 years ago and that quilt looks familiar.
- Bremerton, WA
Old 02-19-2017, 09:44 PM   #67

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
The Quilt my wife Paula made for camping. It has wool batting inside so is nice and warm. Not sure the flannel Seahawks pillow case she made for me goes, but it is comfy.
Ask Paula what kind of wool batting, please, and does it machine wash? I'm working on my quilt for the top of the bed and wool sounds good but there are a lot of choices out there. The quilt top is denim and is designed to protect the bedding below from the dogs.
Attached Thumbnails
jean quilt top.jpg  
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 10:04 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
Ask Paula what kind of wool batting, please, and does it machine wash? I'm working on my quilt for the top of the bed and wool sounds good but there are a lot of choices out there. The quilt top is denim and is designed to protect the bedding below from the dogs.
Paula here,
If I was doing a jean quilt, I think I wouldn't do batting. It,s going to be too heavy. I'd consider fleece. And a very simple quilting stitch. cant remember the name of the wool batting. It is thin. I don't like thick batting. Have you ever ordered from Connecting Threads? Until I bought a bolt of cotton, that's where I got my batting.
- Bremerton, WA
Old 02-19-2017, 10:40 PM   #69

Quote:
Paula here,
If I was doing a jean quilt, I think I wouldn't do batting. It's going to be too heavy. I'd consider fleece. And a very simple quilting stitch. cant remember the name of the wool batting. It is thin. I don't like thick batting. Have you ever ordered from Connecting Threads? Until I bought a bolt of cotton, that's where I got my batting.
I want it to be heavy but not too heavy. I want it to stay put even with dogs jumping on and off of it- the problem with things I've tried to use is they mess them up too easily. We had a nice heavy throw from Costco (sold as a pet throw) that fit the smaller bed in my Campster but is too small for the Escape. Part of the reason for batting is to absorb any moisture if a damp dog gets on the bed, which is why I was thinking of avoiding cotton.

I'm planning on fleece for the backing. I like thin batting, too, and I saw Connecting threads had wool batting. Maybe what I'll do is order the batting and then try some samples to make sure it isn't too thick.
Thanks. I think I'm just going to machine quilt diagonal lines on this quilt but also want to try that out to see how it looks.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:48 PM   #70

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
FWIW, I've spent hours picking dog hairs out of my fleece jackets.
Down throw has polyester on one side and you can just vacuum up the dog hairs.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:49 PM   #71

The fleece is on the underside. They don't get to leave hairs on it.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:12 PM   #72

Quote:
I want it to be heavy but not too heavy. I want it to stay put even with dogs jumping on and off of it- the problem with things I've tried to use is they mess them up too easily. We had a nice heavy throw from Costco (sold as a pet throw) that fit the smaller bed in my Campster but is too small for the Escape. Part of the reason for batting is to absorb any moisture if a damp dog gets on the bed, which is why I was thinking of avoiding cotton.

I'm planning on fleece for the backing. I like thin batting, too, and I saw Connecting threads had wool batting. Maybe what I'll do is order the batting and then try some samples to make sure it isn't too thick.
Thanks. I think I'm just going to machine quilt diagonal lines on this quilt but also want to try that out to see how it looks.
Paula:

Bobbie,

It sounds like you have it handled. Those are some challenging, competing needs!
- Bremerton, WA
Old 02-20-2017, 08:42 AM   #73

Trailer: 2015 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeck View Post
A little off the bed....but still fabric ....... Wolf says these awning side panels do not have enough red for his liking ......
Great idea! Phil has been using tarp with bungy cords. I think I'll make some, too!

Lorna
Old 02-20-2017, 01:22 PM   #74

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
Quote:

Hi Paula, I sell a couple of brands of wool batting in my home based shop. My advice is make sure whatever backing you use I would pre-wash it, especially if your jeans have been washed and dried many times. If you use wool batting make sure you wash your quilt according to the directions. On the back of Hobbs 100% wool batting it says to wash in tepid water, like a baby's bath water and don't change temperature for the rinse. Wash like a cashmere sweater. Wash with Orvus Paste. You can find Orvus paste at a few good quilt stores. I sell it, but here is a secret. It is found in any store that sells horse tackle. It is also for washing horses! I did the quilting on one jean quilt for a customer. She made sure all her seams were steamed open to make it as flat as possible. We used a 100% cotton batting which gave it some loft and a high qualtiy 100% cotton quilter's backing. She also pre-washed the backing. The backing on a large quilt can shrink several inches. Lots to think about. If You go to www.nancysquiltingstudio.com I will post a couple of pictures.

You can also ask others who have wool batting quilts how their quilts wash,
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 01:37 PM   #75

It's me, not Paula, doing the jean quilt.

I'll try samples pre washed and washing after quilting and see if I like how it turns out. I can always do cotton if I don't like how the wool washes up. I want the quilt to be machine washable though cold water is fine. It may not be practical to use wool for this purpose but I'll see how it does on the samples.
Old 02-20-2017, 02:22 PM   #76

Quote:
It's me, not Paula, doing the jean quilt.

I'll try samples pre washed and washing after quilting and see if I like how it turns out. I can always do cotton if I don't like how the wool washes up. I want the quilt to be machine washable though cold water is fine. It may not be practical to use wool for this purpose but I'll see how it does on the samples.
Paula just washed our wool batted quilt in cold water last week after our dog up-chucked on it. Air dried it on a drying rack, turning it a couple of times and it looks good as new.
- Bremerton, WA
Old 02-20-2017, 03:19 PM   #77

Thanks, sounds promising! (Not the upchucking part, though...)
Old 02-20-2017, 04:07 PM   #78

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
Quote:
Paula just washed our wool batted quilt in cold water last week after our dog up-chucked on it. Air dried it on a drying rack, turning it a couple of times and it looks good as new.
It is funny that we are talking about this today, because my next customer quilt that I am doing this afternoon is with wool batting and I really like the loft it has! It is light weight but a little cushy. But I haven't washed a quilt with wool batting. I am actually making my quilt for the escape out of Sunbrella fabric. It will be stain and mold resistant. It is one of their softer fabrics.
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 05:43 PM   #79

Trailer: 2017 Escape21. Pick up date May,2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
It is funny that we are talking about this today, because my next customer quilt that I am doing this afternoon is with wool batting and I really like the loft it has! It is light weight but a little cushy. But I haven't washed a quilt with wool batting. I am actually making my quilt for the escape out of Sunbrella fabric. It will be stain and mold resistant. It is one of their softer fabrics.
That sounds interesting. Would love to see it.
Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:14 PM   #80

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
Hi Nancy,

The shop my wife quilts for uses wool batting almost exclusively and all the quilts she makes for us has wool batting. She wanted me to let you know those quilts wash just fine.
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote