Long cushion on Back Bench with U-Shaped dinettes - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2019, 03:30 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21', Maple Interior, previous 2015 Escape 19'
Long cushion on Back Bench with U-Shaped dinettes

Our new 21' Escape has the U shaped dinette. We did not realize that the back cushions would run the full width of the trailer. These are particularly cumbersome when you need to get into the back storage unit, take out or put in the battery, or anything else. These are the things you learn AFTER you buy the trailer, not before. It almost makes the back storage area unusable.

Any Suggestions? My husband wants me to take the cushion and cut it in two or even 3 parts and recover them. We have enough left over material to do this, and I will probably end up doing that unless someone has a better idea.

BJ Smitty
bjsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 03:40 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I know a couple of 21's were ordered with the rear cushions (and seat/hatch cover) split into two sections. No idea what the charge. I do wish I had thought of it when I ordered mine.
Old 10-22-2019, 04:52 PM   #3

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
yes i wish mine was split its an issue when try to access the battery
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 05:31 PM   #4

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
A few items learned at the 2018 Mississippi River Rendezvous was:
  • split the rear backrest and seat cushion ($100 to split both)

• order a 4" rear backrest, instead of the standard 2" ($65), so you don't sit against the window cranks

• extend the rear seat from 18" to 22" ($235) to accomodate the 4" cushion, give 2" more let room to sit, and give 4" more storage underneath the seat.
We learned quite a bit at the Rendezvous. Nothing better than asking actual users what changes/additions they would make.

ETI did NOT split the plywood top so on the first trip we had to remove both sides to get to storage underneath. Once home last December I split the plywood and installed two more hinges so now we only have to remove one side to get underneath.

We love our u-shaped lounging area and would do it again.

Food for thought.

Perry
Old 10-22-2019, 05:55 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21; previously a 2012 Escape 19
We also were surprised with the long back cushion used in our 2017 21 with the U-shaped dinette. We have not split it up yet. All of our electric hardware is back there including the power distribution, surge protection system, batteries, etc. When I installed our solar charger and breakers I put them back there along with hookups for our portable solar panels and structure for our Lagun table. I only need to remove the long cushion when checking batteries or checking the solar system - only a few times per year. The area is not used for any storage. I agree, split cushions would be a nice solution. We might do it this next season.
Old 10-22-2019, 06:05 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
So the ideal set up would be to have the rear bottom cut into 3 cushions, one the size of the opening and the other end pieces. I may get a price on reupholstering the rear that way. If my memory serves me, the rear back can stay in place and still have access to below.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:00 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Not really Jim- the back cushion sits on top of the bottom cushion. I've not had a problem moving both to the bed when necessary, which is 2-3 times a year.

After one gets past the two year warranty the critical lens seems to diffuse dramatically. Ask me how I know
Old 10-22-2019, 08:13 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape
Definitely cut the cushion in two or three. Any dinette cushion on any trailer should be half width or half length. The segments will stay in place and offer flexibility in getting at the storage compartments below. There is no reason not to.

You don’t have to recover the cushion, just add a side panel with a zipper to each half.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:48 PM   #9

Trailer: , Bigfoot 25B25RT, previously 2019 Escape 21, and Castia sd17
I have spent a fair amount of time under the rear bench seat lately, installing an Inverter, transfer switch and rear trailer wiring. Each time I go to work on this project I had to remove both long rear cushions. If I had known I would have paid to split the cushions. I do have access to both sides and the middle through the exterior access holes on each side. So under normal operation I don't have to lift the cushions. I will say the lounge seating is really nice, we leave ours setup as a lounge 80% of the time.
buellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 09:08 PM   #10

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21', Maple Interior, previous 2015 Escape 19'
I solved the rear backrest problem by taking it out altogether and making 4, 14x14" pillows which can be moved around and used in a variety of configurations. My husband is not too sure of these, but I find them most convenient.
bjsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 06:29 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
  • order a 4" rear backrest, instead of the standard 2" ($65), so you don't sit against the window cranks
  • extend the rear seat from 18" to 22" ($235) to accomodate the 4" cushion, give 2" more let room to sit, and give 4" more storage underneath the seat.
We learned quite a bit at the Rendezvous. Nothing better than asking actual users what changes/additions they would make.
Hi Perry,
Thank you for sharing this info. When the rear seat was extended from 18" to 22", was the dinnet table length reduced by 4" in order to fit when it was lowered to make a plateform for bed.

Tonny LR
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:42 AM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post

This just shows how differing each others ideas are.

I would agree to the split seat and cushions, but truth be told I only access the rear bench to work on things, and I rarely do this. Not much for storage space in there with all the electronic and electrical stuff.

For use the U=shape dinette was for better and more storage and a bit for the nice look. I actually wanted the bench narrower as this allows more comfortable foot room for 4, which we often have in there, and really have no need to seat anyone at the back as pushing for 6 people would really cramp the space. Reace would not go for this.

For us then, a 4" thick cushion is just not needed, nor wanted as a couple inches of space we want are lost. We too have actually thought about removing the rear cushion to allow a bit more room.

But, like I said, to each their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Not really Jim- the back cushion sits on top of the bottom cushion. I've not had a problem moving both to the bed when necessary, which is 2-3 times a year.
I find this too. For the rare times I have had to do anything in the rear bench area, I find it real easy to just put the cushions on the bed quickly and easily allowing access. Very seldom would I be just on one side or the other either. Split bench would be fine, just not really that bad of a thing otherwise

All the above said, if I was to do this again, I would very likely not go for the U-shaped dinette, as the better use of the table (which is important to us) might beat out the need for the added storage and looks, plus save a bit of money.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:47 AM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
The idea of splitting the rear bottom cushion sounds really good. However, if you're ever going to use that area for sleep, you may find the split in the cushion to cause a 'ditch' for your hips. No matter how tight, cushions will move apart with weight and body movement. I'm actually thinking doing the cushion in 1/3s might be a better option. Then the area for a person's hips would be on a solid piece.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:43 AM   #14

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonny LR View Post
Hi Perry,
Thank you for sharing this info. When the rear seat was extended from 18" to 22", was the dinnet table length reduced by 4" in order to fit when it was lowered to make a plateform for bed.
Yes, the dinette was shortened accordingly to use for a bed.

We carry two boards to use when our granddaughter is camping with us instead of the table. One is in place all the time with a ETI supplied filler cushion to make a wonderful lounging area. The other board is rides underneath our bed to use when we setup the lounge area for guests.

We asked ETI not to install the dinette table so our floor has no obstructions. Once home from picking up our 5.0, the dinette, posts, etc. went into a closet here at home and will never be used by us. We do have a portable table that can be used in the dinette area (used perhaps 5-6 meals inside at most), but that free-standing table is mainly used outside. This last six week trip we never used the portable table even once.

OTOH, others couldn't live without their table. If we ever change our needs we would NOT install the floor mount we have stored in our closet. We would install a Lagun mount. Our neighbors have one in their 5.0 and it's solidly mounted, yet it puts the table where you want it. Search Lagun and you'll see many others here enjoy the Lagun configuration.

Food for though.

Perry
Old 10-23-2019, 09:13 AM   #15

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
An alternative to get the backrest out of the way is to hang it. I shaped and mounted 6" angle brackets and then added a plate with a hole to the backrest. You can then flip up the seat cushion and leave the backrest in place. I also cut the trap door in half and added hinges.

Getting the seat cushion cut into 2 would be a great addition.
Attached Thumbnails
Bracket.jpg   Hanger.jpg  

Tags
cushion issues., u-shaped dinette problems