"LUCKY to ESCAPE" - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2012, 10:12 AM   #1

"LUCKY to ESCAPE"

I'm somewhat new to this forum. I introduced myself back last October (2011) as Roger from Florida. I have ordered an Escape 5.0 which will be ready July 11, 2012. We are naming our trailer "Lucky to Escape".
We are flying into Portland Oregon buying a Nissan pick up and driving up to Chilliwack then taking three weeks to travel back to south florida. We plan on traveling down the west coast Route 101 to Los Angles then going cross country by Route 10 or by Route 40. I will only have about 18 days to get back to florida. I would appreciate any suggestions on places to camp down the coast and across the USA. Also for those who remember picking up their Escape, I'd appreciate your suggestions as to what I will need to bring with me. I know I'll forget something.

I've been reading this forum and want to thank everyone for helping me. I've gotten some great ideas and suggestions in ordering my "LUCKY to ESCAPE".

Enjoy,
Roger
Roger from Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:54 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Re: "LUCKY to ESCAPE"

Hi: Roger from Florida... WOW Great choices. I'm positive you won't be dissapointed. Sorry I can't offer helpful hints on places to stay but I know your combo won't go unnoticed anywhere. You will no doubt see a few Wallo Marts along the route to pickup any forgotten items and maybe stay the night. Have a great trip and enjoy the "Tug& Tow". Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:50 PM   #3

Hey Roger - Congratulations! As far as the Oregon Coast for places to stay you really can't go wrong with any of the state parks that are set up for trailers. You may want to look into making reservations at this point since they do book up early for that time of year. You can access the reservation system at http://www.reserveamerica.com A commercial park that I've used for a quick getaway to the coast when the state parks have been filled is in Lincoln City. If you find yourself in that area and need a place, it's very well run. It is the premier RV resort http://www.premierrvresorts.com In general for places to stay and I'm not familiar with the area I've used the website RV Park Reviews http://www.campgroundreviews.com. I've found it to be very helpful. Safe travels. Jerry

JerryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:21 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA

oooh, oooh if you're taking hwy 101 down through Oregon, be sure to stop at Bullard's Beach State Park (make reservations!!!!!!) ... the big Oregon Gathering will be going on!! Even if you can only stay for one night, you'll find it beneficial and we'd love to meet you!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.casitaforum.com/invboard/...g-information/A bunch of people will be in the park starting around Sunday, July 8th. I'll be in Bulllard's the 8th through the 16th!!!

Hope to meet you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Notice the exclamation points... I'm yelling!!!!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:38 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19

Hi Roger- As a native Californian, I hope I can help a bit. Once you're south of the SF Bay area on 101, the San Luis Obispo area would make a great stop -- either Morro Bay or Pismo Beach State parks come to mind. However, you're travelling in the summer, so I'd recommend booking reservations where ever you're going to stay in CA waaaay ahead. Once you hit Ventura, get off 101 to 126 east. 101 into or out of LA from there is miserable on a good day. 126 will get you to I5 south, get off I5 to 210 east, to 15 north, to 40 east. That will keep you from the truly horrendous experience of I5 through LA. Make sure you're going through that area on a weekend or mid-day, rush hours are a "shoot me now" experience. I think you'll want 40 instead of 10, which goes through lots of brutally hot desert. If you haven't figured it out by now, I'm a SoCal expatriate. I now live in NorCal. Another source for possible places to stay that has helped me: http://www.campgroundreviews.com/ It's not complete by any means, but has found me some good spots and helped me avoid some crummy ones.
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:41 PM   #6

Greetings, Roger!

What a trip you have. You ask about what to bring to pick up your trailer.

We, too, expect to get a trailer in the coming months. I have been trying to make a list of what might be needed when picking it up. You are way ahead of me because you have had a trailer whereas this is our first. I do not want to hijack your thread since you probably don't need most of the info that I do. I am particularly interested in tools and supplies that you would already know about. I was about to start a General Discussion thread on this and maybe you will be able to add to it.

As for what you need, don't forget your passport! That would be the biggie.
Are they putting the name on the exterior?
Enjoy the coast.
Cathy

Old 02-10-2012, 11:14 PM   #7

Hi: Roger from Florida... If you're lucky to be near an Ikea store they have a neat tool kit (Fixa) for $8.95. I keep one in the trailer at all times.www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/00169254/. I hope this link works!!! Alf
Old 02-11-2012, 11:37 AM   #8

Thanks to everyone on your welcome response and helpful advise. I already tried to book some sites on the California coast for July and so far everything is booked. I plan on picking up my Escape on July 12th staying over at the Cottonwood in Chilliwack then travel via a ferry from Couperville to Port Townsend. I booked a site at Fort Worden State Park in Port Towsend WA from there I'm not sure how far I can travel in one day down the coast on Route 101. Anyone travel that route? What is a realistic distance one can travel during daylight hours doing the speed limit on Route 101?

Thanks Bruce for your advise on avoiding the LA.traffic. I will take your advise on that traveling route. And thanks and good luck to you Cathy on your new Escape. I will try and remember my passport.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:46 PM   #9

Trailer: No more Escape 21

Roger, since you are going to use the ferry, it's a very good idea to make reservations Here's a link to it:
https://business.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/reservations/

Fort Worden is a nice park. The movie An Officer and Gentleman was shot there. You can make it to the Oregon border with no problem in less than a day. You may want to look at Fort Fort Stevens State Park, then head down 101 to Bullards Beach State Park, as Donna D has suggested, and join us
Old 02-13-2012, 02:09 PM   #10

Laura, Rick & Donna:

I booked site A-12 at Bullard State Park and plan on arriving July 16. I hope you'll still be there so we can meet.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:56 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150

I'll be in A8 the 10 - 16th. Hope we get a chance to meet!

As to US 101 - I drove from Washington Park in Anacortes to Port Angeles (111 miles) in one day,and Port Angeles to the Hoh Campground in Olympic National Park (96 miles) the next day. From there to Cape Disappointment State Park (194.7 miles) the next day & and to Beverly Beach State Park (194.7 miles). After that I headed inland (the next stop was Fisherman's Bend BLM Campground, OR), a very nice stop.

I usually make many stops along the way, tow a maximum of 60MPH (or the limit) towing & try to hit the next campground early, usually by mid to late afternoon. Some photos of the campgrounds & stops along the way start at Day 9.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:09 PM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger from Florida
Laura, Rick & Donna:

I booked site A-12 at Bullard State Park and plan on arriving July 16. I hope you'll still be there so we can meet.

Roger, I'm due to leave on the 16th, I hope you get there early enough that we'll be able to meet. You may never pass this way again and I'd love to see your brand new trailer... along with you of course
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:05 PM   #13

Trailer: No more Escape 21

Roger, great!! Unfortunately we'll be at Champoeg State Park, just south west of Portland, Oregon, on the 16th. Planned to visit again the Evergreen Air Museum, home of the Spruce Goose, in nearby McMinnville.

Are you planning to go Fort Stevens from Fort Worden (Port Townsend)? If so, I can give you some driving directions. I live on the Kitsap Peninsula, about an hour away from Fort Worden via the Hood Canal Floating Bridge, and travel yearly past Fort Stevens.

Rick
Old 02-13-2012, 10:04 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA

Howdy Roger,
My wife and I due to take delivery of our 5.0 ("Texas Tent") on July 3rd about eight or nine days ahead of you but in the same build-out group. We hope to travel back down to Seattle for provisions and celebrate the 4th. Then strike out on some scenic routes of the Pacific Northwest for about five days. From there we will travel down into the Colorado Rockies with a final home destination north of Houston ,Texas. We are planning a four week trip also. One can only imagine what the price of fuel will be in July. Tell us about your Escape 5.0 on order.

Safe travel,
David

daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:55 PM   #15

Rick:

Yes I took your advise and booked Fort Stevens after leaving Fort Worden. I plan on being at Fort Stevens on July 15th.
Thanks for your help.

David:
I ordered just about every option on the 5.0 except for the oven. I have also purchased and shipped a (direct wire) power surge protector, back up camera, and smart light LED motion sensitive porch light. I'm waiting till next month to buy the 12 volt 19 inch Jensen TV. I just picked out the upholstery which will be a Faux Leather fabric for easy cleaning and care. I also modified the cabinet by the stairs to include 5 draws. How about yourself? How did order your trailer?

Right now I have a (9 foot) Lee-Sure Lite Trailer which has been OK for Julie (my wife) and myself but it's not much better than tenting other than not sleeping on the ground. Right now camping is a lot of work but enjoyable. We manage to camp one weekend a month (on average) down here in Florida but that will increase once I retire (end of this year). We plan on seeing the country in style.

Enjoy,
Old 02-14-2012, 08:17 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA

Howdy Again Roger,
We sold our one owner 2003 Casita SD last week. I think we were both a little teary eyed as it pulled away. I could have sold 5 trailers within that week. The wait is more difficult without a travel trailer but we believe the 5.0 is worth waiting for. Next year I will leave the oil fields after 40 years to be free to travel with our 5.0 in tow. We ordered a lot of the Escape options and a few small motifications. All SS with a 2burner stove & cover, small SS microwave, loft side windows that can open, silver decals including "lone star edition" to match the TV. I was told there were going to be a few slight factory changes to the 2012 Escape 5.0. No official press release from Escape Industries as of yet. I am still learning from the posts and have toured all three Texas 5.0's. We have a few more weeks to finalize our buildout sheet. Fabric has been sent and Formica choosen. I like your porch light idea. My past Casita mods should have been factory choices. We are still sorting out the money exchange issue.

daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:47 PM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300

To: Roger from Florida

Hwy 101 is a strange road for a federal highway. We just came up from North of San Fran on it, and have traveled it several times in the past because it tends to not have snow on it when Siskiyou Pass on I-5 will.

In places 101 is like a freeway and in just a few miles it will be more like a cow path.

Do you plan on traveling down the Hood Canal side of the Olympic Mountains (200 miles) or the ocean side through Forks, WA, (300 miles)? FYI, Hood Canal is not really a canal, it is an arm of Puget Sound that is straight like a canal.

The Hood Canal route has a lot of curvy sections that follow contours when streams and rivers cross it. It is 200 miles from Fort Wordon to Fort Stevens. You will do well to make that in one day. I am not familiar with the ocean side as much.

Basically, 101 is a secondary highway all through Oregon. It is a beautiful drive, but very curvy and goes through small towns along the way.You will hit some freeway sections in California. Be aware that the towing speed limit in CA is 55mph, even on the freeways. Hardly anyone follows it, but there it is.

Some sections of 101 are rough and some smooth. I pull a 13' trailer and have no problems. Semis take it, also, but there are sections that are tight and curvy.

If you get the inclination to cut over to CA Hwy 1 which runs along the coast at Legget, be aware it is 26 miles of very steep, even more curvy road, and CA 1 follows contours caused by streams, also.

Black Bear Cafe has good food and large servings. We share single orders.
And you have to eat at an In N Out somewhere along your route.

I hope you don't have vertigo. The picture is of 101 north of Nehalem Bay.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or just want to discuss your route.
Attached Thumbnails
GEDC1488 (Large).JPG  
Old 02-24-2012, 06:12 PM   #18

Trailer: 2023 E21C

We are looking forward to you getting your new 5.0 and getting it to Texas. Sounds like you have class act in the making. Can't wait to see it. Hopefully you can get it to Pineknot, Matagorda, or Brazos Bend!
2020 Australian Shepherd Mix - "Isabeau"
jaerikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:02 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger from Florida
Laura, Rick & Donna:

Hi: Roger from Florida... If you can make it up to Townsend Tenn. you will be able to see an Escape 5.0 and Nissan Frontier combo in action. We will be attending the Egg Camping Club rally @ Tremont hills Campground Apr 19-22. We would welcome you both to check out our rig and stay for dinner. I'm sure I can find something to BBQ? Best regards on your up coming purchase and camping pleasure. Alf& Mary Anne Stacey aka.
Attached Thumbnails
earned my stripes.jpg  
Old 03-10-2012, 05:29 PM   #20

Hi Alf & Mary Anne:

I won't have the time from work to take off since I'll be taking off for 3 weeks in July to get my truck & trailer. Your trailer looks very nice; it matches your truck. Do you camp a lot? Maybe come next fall or winter you might head to Florida so can meet. I'm getting excited but I still have some time before I get mine. I just ordered a 600 watt inverter from 12v to 110 and a coat rack. Next year I'll be retired so I'll have more time to travel. Our children live in New Jersey & Pennsylvania so I'm thinking of getting the foam insulation for the water tank. I think I ordered everything we'll need to be real comfortable. If you have any suggestions please let me know.

Enjoy!