Manual Awning Pics - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2017, 12:20 AM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 & Chevy Silverado 5.3L EcoTec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunfiddy View Post
Also, what is a Clam, besides a bivalve mollusk?
Clam Screen room:
https://www.amazon.com/Clam-Corporat...5%3A2470955011

paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:25 AM   #22

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
awning

I think the manual one might hold up better with the extra arms for support . ( I thought the manual one was just like the Auto one my mistake )Although the elec option is really nice to have if you put it in when at night and during rain etc. .
The Clam is really very nice it sets up very easy and keeps the rain off the table It must be staked down just like any other tent ( I found out the hard way that wind can make the Clam fly )

jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:29 AM   #23

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
I think the manual one might hold up better with the extra arms for support . ( I thought the manual one was just like the Auto one my mistake )Although the elec option is really nice to have if you put it in when at night and during rain etc.
It appears the Carefree Freedom WM is also available in a motorized version. It does not have an auto retract feature which would obviously be incompatible with the support arms. I wonder if ETI would consider installing this awning in the electric version as an option for owners who want the convenience of electric, more support from legs than can be deployed and rather deal with a better company than Dometic if they have an issue.

www.carefreeofcolorado.com/documents/Freedom-WM-Owners-Manual.pdf
rubicon327 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:33 AM   #24
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
I think the manual one might hold up better with the extra arms for support . ( I thought the manual one was just like the Auto one my mistake )Although the elec option is really nice to have if you put it in when at night and during rain etc. .
The Clam is really very nice it sets up very easy and keeps the rain off the table It must be staked down just like any other tent ( I found out the hard way that wind can make the Clam fly )
Lets be clear, there is no extra arms for support with the manual, you take the middle arms out and then attach to the trailer so there is no support in the middle like the power has. The manual is just like the old style manual with support at the ends. The power unit has support in the middle and when only deployed halfway those arms are fairly solid throughout. Further extension does weaken the support admittedly as the arms extend towards the edges.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:40 AM   #25

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Lets be clear, there is no extra arms for support with the manual, you take the middle arms out and then attach to the trailer so there is no support in the middle like the power has. The manual is just like the old style manual with support at the ends. The power unit has support in the middle and when only deployed halfway those arms are fairly solid throughout. Further extension does weaken the support admittedly as the arms extend towards the edges.
Jim: Maybe we are talking about two different awnings, because the Carefree Freedom has additional support arms that store in lead rail. You are not taking the middle, horizontal arms out that deploy with the awing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg freedom.JPG (70.1 KB, 28 views)
rubicon327 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:47 AM   #26
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
I could be wrong, I was just looking at the pictures posted, the 2nd and 3rd looked like there were not any arms. If wrong, my bad.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:34 AM   #27

Trailer: 17b - March 2017 Towed by: Volvo XC90 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
It appears the Carefree Freedom WM is also available in a motorized version. It does not have an auto retract feature which would obviously be incompatible with the support arms. I wonder if ETI would consider installing this awning in the electric version as an option for owners who want the convenience of electric, more support from legs than can be deployed and rather deal with a better company than Dometic if they have an issue.
ETI first considered using the Carefree electric awning, and in fact I think they may have even built a few for customers. Tammy told me the first few they got failed though, so they switched to Dometic. I was hoping to get the Carefree one because it can be operated via a switch instead of a remote.

The electric one that ETI was using didn't have support legs, probably because support legs are incompatible with an auto-retract wind feature.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 06:33 PM   #28

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
Censorship , It's out there . If you file a legitimate observation at a design flaw that certain people do not completely agree to Your post may be deleted . Other than considering there may be some real input hidden in the feed back. Some owners may be upset with some of the early on set of the malfunctions. It seems that the more and bigger gadgets that are added the more issues there are . Best to keep it simple and get out there and do some camping and leave the crap at home .
Old 08-14-2017, 06:57 PM   #29

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dog View Post
Censorship , It's out there . If you file a legitimate observation at a design flaw that certain people do not completely agree to Your post may be deleted .
That is not true.
The posts that get deleted are those that are a personal attack on another member of the forum for their views.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 12:38 PM   #30

Trailer: 2010 Escape 17B
I am having trouble finding the post that the Escape 5th wheel could not have a manual awning, was it not in this thread?

kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote