Manual Awning Pics - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2017, 05:55 PM   #41

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
... I was just looking at the pictures posted, the 2nd and 3rd looked like there were not any arms.
In the first photo of post #1 the folding horizontal arms are clearly visible. In the third photo they are harder to see, but the shiny parts in the middle are the "elbow" joints of the arms; the arms line up with the base (against the wall) from this angle of view, making the arms less obvious.
In the second photo part of one arm is visible (in grey), and the rest is obscured by the outer edge of the awning.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 06:03 PM   #42

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchris292 View Post
Based on an inquiry I made to ETI yesterday regarding the availability of the manual awning for my upcoming 21, this is the email response I received;

"We have removed the manual awning as an option for the 21’ and 5.0TA as we have discovered they are not compatible with each other. Unfortunately, the manual awning will not be an option for your trailer."

Looks like the manual awning isn't available for the 21 model either as well as the 5.0TA
Perhaps the manual unit does not come long enough to fit the larger trailer's specifications, just thinking outloud.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:20 PM   #43

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Quote:
Perhaps the manual unit does not come long enough to fit the larger trailer's specifications, just thinking outloud.
It doesn’t look like length is the issue. Escape lists the awning length for a 21 as 13 feet, and Carefree has a 4-meter, manual-crank Freedom WM on their site.

Bummer if 21s already in the pipeline can’t be made to work with the manual awning. I was just wondering yesterday if the manual option is a good idea when it didn’t seem Escape has had a lot of experience with integrating them with the second-generation design. So maybe electric’s for the best. While rather partial to manual, odds are we’ll survive. But oh, the suffering!

Our 21 goes into production in a few weeks, to be completed October 11th. I’ll double check with Escape tomorrow or the day after and report back.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:38 PM   #44

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
That makes sense to me for a retrofit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchris292 View Post
Looks like the manual awning isn't available for the 21 model either as well as the 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithgugliotto View Post
Bummer if 21s already in the pipeline can’t be made to work with the manual awning. I was just wondering yesterday if the manual option is a good idea when it didn’t seem Escape has had a lot of experience with integrating them with the second-generation design. So maybe electric’s for the best.
So this begs the question...does it make any sense for someone to order a trailer without the awning and install one themselves? Personally I would ask to speak to Reace to find out the details of the issue of manual awning fitment on the 21 and 5.0TA. It could possibly be something easily overcome that ETI has just chosen not to want to deal with. As an engineer, just hearing "they are not compatible with each other" is not enough for me.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 09:12 PM   #45

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
I asked to order my 5.0TA without the awning and Tina told me they won't do it, said the awning was part of the mold.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:51 PM   #46

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Personally I would ask to speak to Reace to find out the details of the issue of manual awning fitment on the 21 and 5.0TA. It could possibly be something easily overcome that ETI has just chosen not to want to deal with.
I would put the door opening issue in that category, but the 21' appear to have enough space to open the door against the trailer wall and still clear an arm at the end of the awning housing, so perhaps there's another issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phalaney View Post
I asked to order my 5.0TA without the awning and Tina told me they won't do it, said the awning was part of the mold.
That makes sense for all of the other models, which have a recess which would at least look awkward without an awning... but with the shape of the front of the 5.0TA Reace decided to mount the awning of the surface of that model.

As Dave suggested, if I were ordering either of these models I would talk with Reace about the situation in more detail, or just decide that the stock power awning is suitable.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 06:33 PM   #47
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I would put the door opening issue in that category, but the 21' appear to have enough space to open the door against the trailer wall and still clear an arm at the end of the awning housing, so perhaps there's another issue.
Yeah, that didn't make sense to me on the 21. Perhaps the manual awning isn't as long as the electric? If they are the same length, I would think a manual awning would work fine on the 21.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:16 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Yeah, that didn't make sense to me on the 21. Perhaps the manual awning isn't as long as the electric? If they are the same length, I would think a manual awning would work fine on the 21.
See#42
Old 08-16-2017, 07:19 PM   #49

Sarah at Escape told me today they recently had their first 21 go through production with the manual option and that led to the decision to not install a manual awning for existing and future 21 or 5.0 TA orders. Reace was out of the office so I couldn't get the lowdown, but Sarah offered to dig for details tomorrow during a routine meeting. I asked Sarah to tell Reace to please explain things in as technical a manner as possible because several folks here would really like to know. Hope to have some gorier details to share tomorrow!
Old 08-17-2017, 12:15 PM   #50

Last One to Have the Manual Awning

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithgugliotto View Post
Sarah at Escape told me today they recently had their first 21 go through production with the manual option and that led to the decision to not install a manual awning for existing and future 21 or 5.0 TA orders. Reace was out of the office so I couldn't get the lowdown, but Sarah offered to dig for details tomorrow during a routine meeting. I asked Sarah to tell Reace to please explain things in as technical a manner as possible because several folks here would really like to know. Hope to have some gorier details to share tomorrow!
I am not sure whether this is the issue, but I just got home after picking up our Escape 21 with the manual awning. We have not yet tried out the awning in all its possible configurations (currently it is raining in Rochester), but one slight problem that is obvious from the start is that the hook on the end of the rod that is used to manually turn the loop crank to open the awning interferes (slightly, but annoyingly) with the body of the trailer. It looks like the recess for the awning body is a bit to deep for the Carefree awning so the loop ends up very close to the body of the trailer. By the time the crank handle hook is inserted into the loop the hook interferes with the body at least once on each turn of the crank. Other than that we are very pleased with our new toy on wheels.
Vlad
volk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 12:42 PM   #51

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by volk View Post
We have not yet tried out the awning in all its possible configurations (currently it is raining in Rochester), but one slight problem that is obvious from the start is that the hook on the end of the rod that is used to manually turn the loop crank to open the awning interferes (slightly, but annoyingly) with the body of the trailer. It looks like the recess for the awning body is a bit to deep for the Carefree awning so the loop ends up very close to the body of the trailer.
That makes sense. Assuming it is the Carefree Freedom WM (wall mount) this is designed primarily to be on a flat surface and not built into a (deep) recess. This would not be an issue on the 5.0.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 07:54 PM   #52

Trailer: 2017 19'
Sorry, a bit of confusion in regards to the automatic awning. Dometic's website says you loose a bit of freedom with the automatic awning because you're reliant on power. Does this mean it requires shore power? Does it not use a 12v motor that can run on the batteries? I was looking for an online owners manual but can't seem to find one.

I ask because we are still working on our build sheet and would like to clarify things like this before we sign off.

Thanks,
Eric
Eric & El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 08:03 PM   #53

It is 12v power aka battery powered. Thus your rv battery operates it and there is a manual retraction if needed.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:14 PM   #54

Trailer: 2017 19'
Quote:
It is 12v power aka battery powered. Thus your rv battery operates it and there is a manual retraction if needed.
Thanks, I figured it must be 12v. Did you go power? If so are you happy with it?

Eric
Eric & El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 08:34 PM   #55

I really enjoy the power awning, it is so convenient and between it and the frameless windows was the reason to upgrade. The case protects it from the elements and I got the optional awning light, it has it's own remote and dimming option.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:15 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by volk View Post
...one slight problem that is obvious from the start is that the hook on the end of the rod that is used to manually turn the loop crank to open the awning interferes (slightly, but annoyingly) with the body of the trailer. It looks like the recess for the awning body is a bit to deep for the Carefree awning so the loop ends up very close to the body of the trailer. By the time the crank handle hook is inserted into the loop the hook interferes with the body at least once on each turn of the crank.
Vlad
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
That makes sense. Assuming it is the Carefree Freedom WM (wall mount) this is designed primarily to be on a flat surface and not built into a (deep) recess. This would not be an issue on the 5.0.
Sarah sent an explanation that kinda jibes, saying their production team couldn't find a way to secure the manual awning to the trailer while ensuring it wouldn't damage the trailer shell in any way. It seems like some shimming or bracket work, like on a Casita, might help move the awning outward, though that could introduce issues with debris and water runoff, also like on a Casita, depending on how the gap between the awning and the shell are handled. That would also come with R&D, fabrication, and production costs that may not be worth it for a rarely chosen option that doesn't generate any profit, unless Escape charged for it. If the production folks have a minute when I pick up in mid-October, I'll ask for some beefier details on both the 21 and the 5.0 TA. In the meantime, I'll be devising other ways of hanging clotheslines, asking Siri to remind me twice each evening to retract the awning, anticipating the ease of doing that with a remote control, reminding myself that no support poles to the ground means a couple fewer vectors for beasts to get on the camper, and finding new uses for my awning tie-downs .
Old 11-14-2017, 11:37 AM   #57

Trailer: 5.0TA 2016 Spirit Bear
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: thoer... IMHO the problem with the manual awning is the lack of designed in/ glassed in support blocks. When Reace went power he had to change the underpinnings along the inner wall and remove the lower support blocks. Going back in time would be a very expensive proposition.
On a different note what I found easy are my new Anderson levelers, and everyone knows I do easy well!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Alf can’t thank you enough for posting information regarding the new Anderson levelers!
Two weeks ago while adjusting our trailer for the first time the existing yellow levelers were sliding along the driveway in front of the wheels. Now that I relive that moment it was pretty amusing, not lol! My thought at the time, ”there has to be a better way”!
Old 11-14-2017, 12:13 PM   #58
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn L View Post
Alf can’t thank you enough for posting information regarding the new Anderson levelers!
Two weeks ago while adjusting our trailer for the first time the existing yellow levelers were sliding along the driveway in front of the wheels. Now that I relive that moment it was pretty amusing, not lol! My thought at the time, ”there has to be a better way”!
Lynn, a couple things about the Andersen Levelers. We have used them since the day we picked up our 19, and we love them.

But, on a Tandem axle trailer, you'll find them easier to use if you trim down one of them by an inch or two. That way it'll fit between the tires. Also, I found it helpful to cut some grooves across the bottom of them to prevent slippage on a surface like loose gravel.