Mattress topper - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2016, 06:32 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 21' - "Escapee"
Mattress topper

We'll be picking up our new 21 in a couple months (hooray!) and camping our way back home (figuring about 3 weeks). Paulette says we should get a 2" memory foam topper to take with us. We definitely needed one in our Casita since the "mattress" is just the cushions from the dinette. But since the Escape will have a real mattress, I'm wondering if it's needed. Any thoughts, anybody? How comfortable is the mattress compared to your bed at home?
Old 02-15-2016, 06:40 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
We have a firm 2" memory foam topper on our 17B bed - but the 21 has a real mattress.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 06:43 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
They use the same brand in the 5.0TA and I didn't get it, I sleep on an air-bed. Maybe you could contact ETI (if someone doesn't know here) and get the brand/model name and see if you can find a mattress company close to home to get a sit/lay test...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 06:45 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The bed in the 21 is a real mattress, maybe 10-12" thick. You will need a set of "full" size sheets and blankets. We do not use any topper but d use a mattress heater under the sheets. Makes it really nice when cool.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:55 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
They use the same brand in the 5.0TA and I didn't get it, I sleep on an air-bed. Maybe you could contact ETI (if someone doesn't know here) and get the brand/model name and see if you can find a mattress company close to home to get a sit/lay test...
That's a great idea; they say you should spend at least 15 minutes on a mattress before you buy. The vendor ETI is using a vendor in Lethbridge, AB, so that's probably not easy to do.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:57 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
I wavered back and forth on this same issue prior to picking up our 5.0 since we have a memory foam at home - and absolutely love it. I asked Tammy what credit I would get if I supplied my own mattress and she said $150. During the trip to the factory prior to purchasing I/we laid on the ETI mattress and felt it would be 'OK'. So, we stayed with the ETI mattress. It did fine during our 2 month maiden voyage but not great. Remember, I/we are used to a memory foam at home. Shortly after getting home I ordered a queen memory foam mattress. A few weeks ago we went down to Big Bend for a week and the new memory foam mattress (8" thick) was fantastic. Now, in retrospect, I wish I would have just bought it in the beginning and used the $150 towards the new one. Live and learn.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:13 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I sleep on a Tempur-pedic at home sometimes (it's in the spare bedroom and I will go in there to sleep if one of us is tossing and turning). Normally, we sleep on a Select Comfort mattress (choose your number). The spouse feels that the Tempur-pedic is too hot and doesn't like it as much as I do. But we both find the mattress in our 5.0TA to be perfectly comfortable.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:30 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
I wavered back and forth on this same issue prior to picking up our 5.0 since we have a memory foam at home - and absolutely love it. I asked Tammy what credit I would get if I supplied my own mattress and she said $150. During the trip to the factory prior to purchasing I/we laid on the ETI mattress and felt it would be 'OK'. So, we stayed with the ETI mattress. It did fine during our 2 month maiden voyage but not great. Remember, I/we are used to a memory foam at home. Shortly after getting home I ordered a queen memory foam mattress. A few weeks ago we went down to Big Bend for a week and the new memory foam mattress (8" thick) was fantastic. Now, in retrospect, I wish I would have just bought it in the beginning and used the $150 towards the new one. Live and learn.
Like Macman says, the stock mattress was okay. We replaced ours with a 10” queen memory foam from Costco. For cold weather camping a mattress warmer is almost crucial with a memory foam mattress. I sleep real warm, keeping my feet out from under the down duvet most of the night. Cold memory foam can be rock hard and suck all the heat from your core. We use a twin sized 12volt mattress warmer from Electrowarmth. Robot Check It is twin sized, just run it down the middle of the mattress, cozy in the middle, nice and cool at the sides. Turn it on thirty minutes or so before bed and your good to go. We do turn it off after getting into bed. One of must haves for cool/cold weather camping with a memory foam mattress. Scott

Scott and Lori
Fat bikes are fun!
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:33 PM   #9

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Doesn't make much difference to me, my best nights sleep are on camping trips! Don't even snore!

G
Old 02-15-2016, 09:20 PM   #10

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
We just ordered a full size Select Comfort/Sleep by Number bed yesterday afternoon (President's Day sale - saved 20% ). I know it'll stick out a bit on one corner, but that's okay. I don't want the RV size mattress as that'll be too short.

I've flopped on the bed of the 21 several times and I know I'll never be comfortable on it, considering I've used the Select Comfort beds since 1998. This will be our 4th one of their beds. All of 'em still in use in our house and soon in our trailer.

Yeah, we like 'em.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:39 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
I think the stock mattress that came with the 21 is a good one. Not to soft and not to firm. No complaints at all. Actually, I can't think of anything on that trailer to complain about. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:42 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
The spouse feels that the Tempur-pedic is too hot and doesn't like it as much as I do. .
I am the same with memory foam. It is well know to not be that great for warm sleepers, as it does not breathe at all.

In our 19 we had a custom mattress with a bottom layer of 6" of med/firm density foam, with a 2 1/2" layer of latex foam. Latex foam breathes, and sleeps cooler than memory foam. Plus if it matters, latex foam is a comfort and support layer, whereas memory foam is comfort only.

I have not used memory foam in a trailer, but my brother had a topper, and got rid of it, as when they went to bed on cold nights, it took it forever to soften and warm up. They do use one at home, and love it there.

We are considering getting a custom foam mattress for the 5.0, and may use a build of of 3 densities, with latex foam on the top layer for sure. We will hold off from ordering it until our visit to Escape in 2 weeks, when we will try out the mattress they now offer.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 11:30 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
We top it with a faux featherbed

On our trip back from Chilliwack, we slept okay on the ETI supplied mattress in our 21. Once home, though, we added the faux featherbed (fiber filled) that we had used in our Casita.

We also have a 3" memory foam topper, but so far we don't think we need it in the trailer. (We did use it in the Casita - and it was great - but the Escape's bed is so much better to begin with, we want to save the weight and leave it out.)
Old 02-16-2016, 04:56 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I've flopped on the bed of the 21 several times and I know I'll never be comfortable on it, considering I've used the Select Comfort beds since 1998. This will be our 4th one of their beds. All of 'em still in use in our house and soon in our trailer.

Just hope all your flats are inside and not outside the trailer....
Old 02-16-2016, 08:36 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
We're seriously considering having a Casper mattress: https://casper.com/mattresses shipped directly to Escape for our eventual 21'.

It gets very high ratings at Consumer Report and they ship free in Canada and the US. It has dual layer memory foam cores with open cell latex on top. We've slept comfortably on a Tempurpedic at home from years.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 02-16-2016, 08:49 AM   #16

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
Mattress

We just switched our home mattress from a 8 year old temper-pedic, a thick one to a Casper mattress. I'm thinking about changing the one in our 21 also to the Casper and may have to trim the corner off. Maybe check with the company about that.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:35 AM   #17

Jack, I'm not sure you need to. I looked at the measurements of the platform and the Casper and it appears that it wouldn't stick out enough to really matter. But you have both already - I'd be interested in what your determine from measuring.

Old 02-16-2016, 10:03 AM   #18

Trailer: 19' towed by a 4Runner
Anyone know the dimensions for a topper/foam pad for a 19 with a u-shaped dinette? Need to order one, and may trailer is in storage a bit far away for me to measure right now. The dinette cushions shift a bit when someone sleeps on them, and trying to prevent this by placing something like a foam pad on top of them.
GRINGOandTICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:10 AM   #19

Trailer: 2016 21' - "Escapee"
Thanks for the feedback, everybody. It sounds like we'd be fine to try it without the topper on our 3-week trip back home. We can always order one before our next trip if we decide it's not quite soft enough.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:14 AM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
We're seriously considering having a Casper mattress: https://casper.com/mattresses shipped directly to Escape for our eventual 21'.

It gets very high ratings at Consumer Report and they ship free in Canada and the US. It has dual layer memory foam cores with open cell latex on top. We've slept comfortably on a Tempurpedic at home from years.
We looked long an hard at the Casper a little while back, and it sounds like a great mattress, for sure. It does get pretty good user reviews.

In this searching I also came across the Leesa mattress.
https://www.leesa.ca/
It is a similar build with the exception of the top layer being another form of breathable foam. If one cares to search, there is lots of comparison reviews on the Casper vs the Leesa, with the Leesa often coming out on top. The Leesa is a wee bit more expensive, but as they are new in Canada are offering $150 off as an introductory offer right now. Another good option to review.

I took what I learned about these two mattresses and went shopping at a couple good foam mattress stores in town, Sleep Boutique, where we bought the mattress for our 19 that we no longer have, and Dormir Bed & Foam, where I had cushions made for my daughters Trillium. Both good shops that build their own mattresses, and are WAY more cost effective than most other mattress stores that bring them in from elsewhere. The first shop came in with a similar mattress cost slightly higher than the Casper and Leesa, but the second shop was just a wee bit cheaper.

My last mattress, with the 2.5" of latex foam, on a 6" foundation of med/firm foam was very cozy, but a couple times when side sleeping, that my hips would press through the latex layer, onto the much firmer foundation foam. Not a huge deal at all, but got me more interested in a 3 layer system. When I tried out a layered system in that store similar to the Casper, I felt I sunk in too much, and the owner said it was likely due to the memory foam layer which gives no support, just comfort. He then set up a layer of 2" latex, on top of a 2" layer of softer foam, all on a firmer foam foundation. I quite liked that, but do have to get Lisa out to try it too.

But as I said, nothing will be decided until after Feb 29th, and my visit to Escape where I will at least try out their OEM mattress first. Who knows, for only $150 savings by not getting it, I may just give it a try, and could put it on one of our spare queen beds at home.

I would like to hear what others experience was like with memory foam in the cold, as all I really have to go on is my brothers experience in his tent trailer. I was thinking it may not be as bad as the second layer, but still might not sleep nice until warmed up.

How thick is the Escape mattress? And for those with a 5.0TA, how is the seated headroom in the loft? I assume one would not want to get a mattress much thicker than the OEM one. What are the thoughts on that?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote