Mattresses?? - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2017, 08:27 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Casita
Mattresses??

As we are picking up our new 21' in May I wanted to ask if the mattresses are comfortable as they come from the factory. Do you need a topper to make it bearable or do we need a new mattress entirely? Our backs are very prone to locking up if the mattress is not right Any help out there?

godspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:59 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
We had thought to get our own foam mattress, but decided that for the $150 credit for not getting the stock mattress we would just get it and give it a try. It really is not too bad at all, and causes no discomfort. We are contemplating getting a convoluted foam (egg crate type), but that is all.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:05 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Mattresses are like picking out a chair, very personal! I like a really firm mattress. Like sleeping on a brick firm. Anything too soft just kills my back. I didn't get the mattress, mostly because I wanted a different size for the loft. My mattress is actually an Ikea mattress and only 3-1/2" thick. Perfect for me!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:28 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Mattresses are like picking out a chair, very personal! I like a really firm mattress. Like sleeping on a brick firm. Anything too soft just kills my back. I didn't get the mattress, mostly because I wanted a different size for the loft. My mattress is actually an Ikea mattress and only 3-1/2" thick. Perfect for me!
That about sums it up. I hate hard firm mattresses Without a foam topper and the IKEA slats I wouldn't be comfortable. You won't know for sure until you stretch out.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 02:08 AM   #5

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
That about sums it up. I hate hard firm mattresses Without a foam topper and the IKEA slats I wouldn't be comfortable. You won't know for sure until you stretch out.

Ron
We gave the Escape mattress it a try but couldn't deal with it any longer . Have a 2 in adjustable air mattress , no longer sold , on top of 2 in foam ,and 3 in latex foam topper . Closer to home .can't deal with spring mattress any longer . Didn't know about the IKEA slates and other solutions out there now . But the bed is very comfortable now . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 02:37 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape
My wife and I have a 21 ft Escape. We have the mattress that was provided by the manufacturer. We have purchased a topper from Costco. Its a double and it's excellent for the two of us. Very comfortable! !
Nelsonjald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 03:10 AM   #7

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelsonjald View Post
My wife and I have a 21 ft Escape. We have the mattress that was provided by the manufacturer. We have purchased a topper from Costco. Its a double and it's excellent for the two of us. Very comfortable! !
That's all that counts what you like and find comfortable Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 03:38 AM   #8

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
We gave the Escape mattress it a try but couldn't deal with it any longer . Have a 2 in adjustable air mattress , no longer sold , on top of 2 in foam ,and 3 in latex foam topper . Closer to home .can't deal with spring mattress any longer . Didn't know about the IKEA slates and other solutions out there now . But the bed is very comfortable now . Pat
Pat, you bought your Escape not too long after they added mattresses. We had no mattress in our 19'. It had a very deep foam piece, at least 4" or maybe even 6", and we had a topper on that and another latex topper on that! Extremely comfortable, to me anyway. Now we have a mattress in the 21' and the latex topper. It is comfortable but I don't think it is as nice as what we had with the 19'.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 05:00 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Our 2009 19 had a 5" foam mattress. At first it was not too bad, but after 4 years or so I found it had softened a bit, and I was getting pressure points at my shoulders and hips. We replaced that with a dual layer foam mattress, with a 6" medium-firm density foam base, and a 2 1/2" latex foam top. It was very comfy.

If I remember correctly, there was a bit more issue with the new coil mattress when they first went with, than compared to now. I wonder if they changed it up at all, as most find it not too bad now. Some kind of foam topper would make it even more cozy. Memory foam does not work for me, as I am a warm sleeper and it makes me feel clammy. Latex foam is nice, and a regular foam is okay too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 07:07 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
After a long day hiking in the woods or along a river, you’ll sleep like a baby on the factory mattress; I guarantee it.

Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mattress comfort