Mattresses?? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2017, 07:27 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Mattresses??

As we are picking up our new 21' in May I wanted to ask if the mattresses are comfortable as they come from the factory. Do you need a topper to make it bearable or do we need a new mattress entirely? Our backs are very prone to locking up if the mattress is not right Any help out there?
godspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:59 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
We had thought to get our own foam mattress, but decided that for the $150 credit for not getting the stock mattress we would just get it and give it a try. It really is not too bad at all, and causes no discomfort. We are contemplating getting a convoluted foam (egg crate type), but that is all.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:05 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Mattresses are like picking out a chair, very personal! I like a really firm mattress. Like sleeping on a brick firm. Anything too soft just kills my back. I didn't get the mattress, mostly because I wanted a different size for the loft. My mattress is actually an Ikea mattress and only 3-1/2" thick. Perfect for me!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:28 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Mattresses are like picking out a chair, very personal! I like a really firm mattress. Like sleeping on a brick firm. Anything too soft just kills my back. I didn't get the mattress, mostly because I wanted a different size for the loft. My mattress is actually an Ikea mattress and only 3-1/2" thick. Perfect for me!
That about sums it up. I hate hard firm mattresses Without a foam topper and the IKEA slats I wouldn't be comfortable. You won't know for sure until you stretch out.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:08 AM   #5

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
That about sums it up. I hate hard firm mattresses Without a foam topper and the IKEA slats I wouldn't be comfortable. You won't know for sure until you stretch out.

Ron
We gave the Escape mattress it a try but couldn't deal with it any longer . Have a 2 in adjustable air mattress , no longer sold , on top of 2 in foam ,and 3 in latex foam topper . Closer to home .can't deal with spring mattress any longer . Didn't know about the IKEA slates and other solutions out there now . But the bed is very comfortable now . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:37 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape
My wife and I have a 21 ft Escape. We have the mattress that was provided by the manufacturer. We have purchased a topper from Costco. Its a double and it's excellent for the two of us. Very comfortable! !
Nelsonjald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 02:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelsonjald View Post
My wife and I have a 21 ft Escape. We have the mattress that was provided by the manufacturer. We have purchased a topper from Costco. Its a double and it's excellent for the two of us. Very comfortable! !
That's all that counts what you like and find comfortable Pat
Old 11-16-2017, 02:38 AM   #8

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
We gave the Escape mattress it a try but couldn't deal with it any longer . Have a 2 in adjustable air mattress , no longer sold , on top of 2 in foam ,and 3 in latex foam topper . Closer to home .can't deal with spring mattress any longer . Didn't know about the IKEA slates and other solutions out there now . But the bed is very comfortable now . Pat
Pat, you bought your Escape not too long after they added mattresses. We had no mattress in our 19'. It had a very deep foam piece, at least 4" or maybe even 6", and we had a topper on that and another latex topper on that! Extremely comfortable, to me anyway. Now we have a mattress in the 21' and the latex topper. It is comfortable but I don't think it is as nice as what we had with the 19'.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 04:00 AM   #9

Our 2009 19 had a 5" foam mattress. At first it was not too bad, but after 4 years or so I found it had softened a bit, and I was getting pressure points at my shoulders and hips. We replaced that with a dual layer foam mattress, with a 6" medium-firm density foam base, and a 2 1/2" latex foam top. It was very comfy.

If I remember correctly, there was a bit more issue with the new coil mattress when they first went with, than compared to now. I wonder if they changed it up at all, as most find it not too bad now. Some kind of foam topper would make it even more cozy. Memory foam does not work for me, as I am a warm sleeper and it makes me feel clammy. Latex foam is nice, and a regular foam is okay too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-16-2017, 06:07 AM   #10

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
After a long day hiking in the woods or along a river, you’ll sleep like a baby on the factory mattress; I guarantee it.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:48 AM   #11

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Tried the stock one, too hard for our liking. Added a 2.5" memory foam topper from Costco, supposedly good one although they are as varied as the mattresses. This was pretty comfortable but too hot. Replaced that topper with a mid density latex topper, cooler but not as comfortable, too hard for us. I refuse to buy yet a softer latex topper.

So try the stock one, then adjust with a topper if needed and hope for the best.

FWIW, the local small time mattress manufacture, Yankee Mattress, has told me they make them to what ever shape and size one needs on request. They'll even measure the trailers bed if I were to bring the trailer to them, of course you pay for this service. You may be able to find similar.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:01 AM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I agree that mattresses are a personal thing. Pillows too. What's good for one is uncomfortable for another. We used the stock mattress for more than a year. We slept fine, but as time went by we would wake up with a bit of back pain. At home we'd slept on a TempurPedic for many years and I guess we were just too used to that. Last year I switched it out for a gel memory foam mattress I picked up on Amazon. Risky to go with a mattress based solely on reviews, but we are very happy with it, and zero back pain. It also sleeps cool in our opinion.

I did remove the cover and round off the two rearward corners a bit with an electric knife in order to accomodate the rounded corners of the trailer. It fit the space fine with square corners but I wanted an air gap there to help with any possible condensation.

Overall, I'd say try the stock one. Easy to change if you find the need.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:58 AM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Mattresses

I think Robert is right on with his comment that a mattress is a personal choice. We always have the trailer open during rally trailer tours. Prospective Escape buyers often ask about the comfort of the mattress. We have no problem offering to let visitors try ours so they’ll have our particular configuration as a reference point. In our 19’ we had the stock Escape mattress provided in 2010. On top of it we had a 3 inch Costco gel foam. That combo was pretty comfortable. In our new to us 2013 21 the previous owner had installed a Casper mattress. Several trailer tour inspectors have remarked on the comfort of the Casper when they tried it. We agree and would rate it as very comfortable. The upshot: go to rallies, ask the owner about their mattress, try it out if they offer, catalog the configuration, proceed after due diligence. Gotta be comfortable when you sleep in the Escape or you may as well be on the ground, no pad, rolled up Lee Rider jean jacket for a pillow, wool army blanket for a sleeping cover in a moldy, leaky, indelible million dollar odor, canvas tent
Iowa “duvet” Dave
Old 11-16-2017, 08:41 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Tried the stock one, too hard for our liking..
Well, fat chance I am going to sleep on the same bed as you then, Bob. I find the stock mattress to giving, and not firm enough.

The just goes to show though, that like Dave, Robert and others have said, it is all a personal choice. I like a relatively firm base with a comfy top that cuddles me oh, so nice, some like to be laid out on a stone pallet, while others like to sink in deep.

I agree that if concerned at all, folks should either first try it out, or for a $150 gamble give the stock one a try, then swap as needed.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:17 AM   #15

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Our 2009 19 had a 5" foam mattress. At first it was not too bad, but after 4 years or so I found it had softened a bit, and I was getting pressure points at my shoulders and hips. We replaced that with a dual layer foam mattress, with a 6" medium-firm density foam base, and a 2 1/2" latex foam top. It was very comfy.

If I remember correctly, there was a bit more issue with the new coil mattress when they first went with, than compared to now. I wonder if they changed it up at all, as most find it not too bad now. Some kind of foam topper would make it even more cozy. Memory foam does not work for me, as I am a warm sleeper and it makes me feel clammy. Latex foam is nice, and a regular foam is okay too.
Same here. 2010 19 came with a 5" mattress that was uncomfortable after years of prior use. Couldn't get things right with memory foam toppers, etc. Ended up putting a regular "home" queen spring mattress in that is very comfortable. Only downside is that it fits very tight in the corners.

The newer trailers come with an 8" mattress. I inquired about one of these new ones with the thinking that it needed the custom rounded corners to fit. The quote was about $315 USD so not a very expensive mattress in terms of what is out there today. Shipping was prohibitive at an additional $520 USD with brokerage. Not worth it for what is likely a mediocre mattress.

I also briefly explored Rocky Mountain Mattress out of Utah that produces mattresses for many major RV brands and will custom make what you want. I got a quote of $925 for a Sunrise 8" layered memory foam queen with two custom corners. Price was $785 with no corner cuts. I think the shipping was "free". Never pursued it, but here is a link for anyone who would like to keep this as an option. They make a variety of mattresses from 7 to 14".
RV Mattress | Custom RV Mattress | RV Bed | Custom Made RV Bed
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:22 AM   #16

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Marble slab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Well, fat chance I am going to sleep on the same bed as you then, Bob. I find the stock mattress to giving, and not firm enough.

The just goes to show though, that like Dave, Robert and others have said, it is all a personal choice. I like a relatively firm base with a comfy top that cuddles me oh, so nice, some like to be laid out on a stone pallet, while others like to sink in deep.

I agree that if concerned at all, folks should either first try it out, or for a $150 gamble give the stock one a try, then swap as needed.
Wow Jim, that stone pallet comment got to me. It was too close to the old marble slab.
Aaah to sleep, perchance to dream.......
Billly Shake a spear
Dave
Old 11-16-2017, 09:35 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I also briefly explored Rocky Mountain Mattress out of Utah that produces mattresses for many major RV brands and will custom make what you want. I got a quote of $925 for a Sunrise 8" layered memory foam queen with two custom corners. Price was $785 with no corner cuts. I think the shipping was "free". Never pursued it, but here is a link for anyone who would like to keep this as an option. They make a variety of mattresses from 7 to 14".
RV Mattress | Custom RV Mattress | RV Bed | Custom Made RV Bed
Have you considered checking out a local foam mattress shop, one that will build to your specs? We now have 3 of those in Calgary. Before we omitted to at least trying out the stock mattress, we had looked at and considered an 8" mattress comprised of 4" of firm foam, with 2" of a medium foam, and topped with 2" of latex foam. If I was willing to at a couple inches I would do 1" + 1/2" + 1/2" to the layers, but do worry a bit about head height. The cost was very comparable to what you were quoted. They cut the curved corners for our 19 mattress at no extra cost, including the supplied covers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Wow Jim, that stone pallet comment got to me. It was too close to the old marble slab.
Aaah to sleep, perchance to dream.......
Billly Shake a spear
Dave
Sawwy Dave, did not mean to make you consider your future demise this early in your life.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:36 AM   #18

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
The stock mattress is ok, nothing special but serviceable. We had put a 8” Spa Sensations from Walmart in our previous 17b and loved it. Eventually, we plan to upgrade in the 19 but no hurry. If I were to do it again, I’d take the credit for no mattress and order the Spa Sensations or similar to be picked up at the closest Walmart to Sumas to coordinate with pickup.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:43 AM   #19

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
After a long day hiking in the woods or along a river, you’ll sleep like a baby on the factory mattress; I guarantee it.
After a long day of hiking in the woods , or along a river, or a day of Fall hunting , I sleep like a baby lying right on good one Mother Earth. The beds in our hunting cabin are a sheet of CDX plywood with a sleeping bag on top.
Everyone has their own standard for comfort , mine is extremely
low.
If I want a sore back or shoulders then I sleep on a foam pad or a soft mattress !!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 10:32 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
Pat, you bought your Escape not too long after they added mattresses. We had no mattress in our 19'. It had a very deep foam piece, at least 4" or maybe even 6", and we had a topper on that and another latex topper on that! Extremely comfortable, to me anyway. Now we have a mattress in the 21' and the latex topper. It is comfortable but I don't think it is as nice as what we had with the 19'.
Cathy we gave it a good try and we were lucky to sell it . We can't deal with memory foam either . It gets hard when it is cold . The latex is the way to go on top we have found . I think one of the reason's we don't like the spring mattress is it is on wood . What others have done with the IKEA system probably makes the spring mattress a lot more comfortable because the mattress can move . There are other systems out there too . Another thing to get under the bed was very hard with spring mattress (like changing out water pumps) . We have a comfortable bed now and it is easy to lift and move mattress out of the way . I also had built a little access door to get to pump easier and the large access . If we ever get something different I would maybe change again to newer bed systems . The way the 19 bed is configured this is the best for us . We have Select comfort at home with a Latex topper . So important to be comfortable and get sleep .Pat

Tags
mattress comfort