Mattresses again... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2019, 11:01 AM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Mattresses again...

Just spent two nights in my trailer and I now hate the mattress which previously seemed okay. The difference is that I got a new, extremely comfortable mattress at home.

So I"m thinking of putting a better mattress in the Escape. I have a full-size bed space so not a problem to fit one in, but I'm a little worried that if I ever have to move it that will be a problem. Previously I had first a foam one and then a tri-fold memory foam now. (I may first try the memory foam over the foam.)

I don't have anything but emergency supplies in the under bed storage and just replaced the CO detector so I'm probably good for a few years of not needing to move the mattress.

Does anyone have a thicker but not too heavy mattress that works well? I'm a side-sleeper and this one was killing my hip and shoulder. I have a Nolah at home but it is 12" and 86 lbs (for a queen) and is difficult to handle with plenty of space.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 01:47 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
If you are anywhere near an Ikea they have several options for memory foam, you could just put that over the mattress you have.

Enjoy the journey.

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 05:58 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape Trailer 21
We also do not like the mattress in the 21. We purchased a good quality memory foam topper and that makes it comfortable.
jkavanagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 07:33 PM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
If you cold weather camp, those memory foam mattresses turn to cement.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:31 PM   #5

No worries about it getting that cold, but they also can be too hot.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:08 PM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
I know the standard memory foam can be hot in summer and get rock hard in the cold. How about latex?
Old 05-16-2019, 11:26 PM   #7

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Bobbie,

May I suggest the IKEA bed slat solution? As a side sleeper as well, it was a revelation when I did this mod to my 19’. They design them so the slats under the hips and shoulders have more give than the rest of the bed. They are pretty easy to assemble and made the stock mattress behave like it was on a full box spring foundation. Bonus is the air circulation to reduce condensation which as you know in the Puget Sound area can be an issue. Here is a link: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/p...132211556208_1
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 06:11 AM   #8

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I know the standard memory foam can be hot in summer and get rock hard in the cold. How about latex?
We spent a year or 2 swapping from the memory foam to latex then back again, finally got rid of the memory foam . I'm one bothered by the heat of the memory foam, the latex does not get as warm is better in that regard. It also stays soft pliable in the cold. On the con side, it's not as soft/comfortable, which is why we kept going back and forth between the two. If I remember correctly, it also took a while for the latex smell to go away. Left it out in a spare bedroom.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
Bobbie,

May I suggest the IKEA bed slat solution? As a side sleeper as well, it was a revelation when I did this mod to my 19’. They design them so the slats under the hips and shoulders have more give than the rest of the bed. They are pretty easy to assemble and made the stock mattress behave like it was on a full box spring foundation. Bonus is the air circulation to reduce condensation which as you know in the Puget Sound area can be an issue. Here is a link: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/p...132211556208_1
That looks interesting- when it says assembly required, how much assembly?

Just saw they have an adjustable base . That's tempting! I'll have to look into this a little more. I sleep on an adjustable bed at home and almost always have the head raised.

But... read the reviews. Hard to raise, you need access to both sides of the bed as it raises in two halves.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
That looks interesting- when it says assembly required, how much assembly?

Just saw they have an adjustable base . That's tempting! I'll have to look into this a little more. I sleep on an adjustable bed at home and almost always have the head raised.

But... read the reviews. Hard to raise, you need access to both sides of the bed as it raises in two halves.

I Don't know about the adjustable model. The regular version you attache the end rails loosely to the side rail so there is a bit of play to get the slats in. The rubber holders on the top of the side rails are color coded. Grey slats into grey holders, white slats into white holders. There is also a nylon webbing down the middle to thread the slats through. Tighten everything up, put the mattress on top and you are done. It was not too hard to assemble in place in the trailer.

That is the nice thing. You assemble it in the trailer so you don't have this big awkward thing to maneuver into place.

Cheers!
- Bremerton, WA
Old 05-17-2019, 12:42 PM   #11

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
Does the Ikea slatted bed base somehow accommodate the cut corner of and E21 mattress?
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 12:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chama View Post
Does the Ikea slatted bed base somehow accommodate the cut corner of and E21 mattress?
No, it would need to be modified. I had to modify it for the curved corners of the 19'.
- Bremerton, WA
Old 05-17-2019, 06:05 PM   #13

Trailer: 1998 Casita Spirit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
No worries about it getting that cold, but they also can be too hot.
I have found that a good quality mattress cover over the memory foam topper keeps it from being too hot.
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 08:28 AM   #14

Trailer: 2018 ESCAPE19
Funny story on mattress. Last fall when we picked up the trailer and headed out - after 2 nights I also hated the mattress which seemed OK at first. We love natural latex mattresses (rubber). We were in some remote place and saw a big Mall. My husband said - let's see if they sell Latex mattresses. I told him: "no way would some remote mattress store sell those expensive mattresses." Oddly, there were 2 mattresses stores. The first one said - no you won't find one anywhere around here. Undeterred, my husband pushed on to the second store. The clerk there said - hey we have one in the back we are sending back as we could sell it. We actually talked them down to lower than the online price. It is marvelous. Heavy - but worth every pound. It is the only kind of mattress that my back can survive with - go for natural latex and find the money - you spend a lot of time in bed!!
Tam2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 08:55 AM   #15

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We found that the stock mattress was ok in the beginning but now after taking some longer trips we find it leaves something to be desired . We have a foam matress in our Casita and as others have said , way to hot when the temps are 50 Deg and above .
We are currently looking for a new innerspring mattress .The three biggest obstacles for us are the cut off corner , shipping costs and mattress cost .
Sticking well over $1500 in a mattress for our trailer gives me pause.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 09:10 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We found that the stock mattress was ok in the beginning but now after taking some longer trips we find it leaves something to be desired . We have a foam matress in our Casita and as others have said , way to hot when the temps are 50 Deg and above .
We are currently looking for a new innerspring mattress .The three biggest obstacles for us are the cut off corner , shipping costs and mattress cost .
Sticking well over $1500 in a mattress for our trailer gives me pause.
In the past, before we had a full queen bed in the 19 foot, we had a local mattress company cut a latex (rubber) mattress for us. Latex does not get hot or cold. We can't tell you too often how great it is for our backs and how extremely comfortable it is. Get at least 6 inches if you can. I don't know how expensive it is - but you can custom order here:https://foamsource.com/shop/Custom-Mattresses
Old 05-18-2019, 09:13 AM   #17

If Escape really wanted to wow us - they would have offered a latex mattress option!!
Old 05-18-2019, 09:45 AM   #18

Trailer: TBD
At home, I have a standard type mattress and use a 2" "gel infused" memory foam with a virgin wool mattress pad on top of that. My theory is that the virgin wool pad offsets the downside of the memory foam. Works for me and I will have a similar set up in the Escape when the time comes. The virgin wool mattress pad was given to me by a neighbor but the foam pad was an Amazon purchase.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
Old 05-18-2019, 10:18 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam2004 View Post
In the past, before we had a full queen bed in the 19 foot, we had a local mattress company cut a latex (rubber) mattress for us. Latex does not get hot or cold. We can't tell you too often how great it is for our backs and how extremely comfortable it is. Get at least 6 inches if you can. I don't know how expensive it is - but you can custom order here:https://foamsource.com/shop/Custom-Mattresses
Latex is very heavy. (I know it is comfortable, too.)

I'm worried about 6 inches of anything not being comfortable, but anything larger being hard to manage if I ever want to access the storage (currently no doors outside; that may have to change.) On the other hand, in 2 1/2 years the most I've done is to replace the CO detector, stash some emergency food in there, and change mattresses- I don't keep things in the under seat storage on trips because I just don't take that much. But whatever I do I need to be able to access the storage once in a long while.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:30 PM   #20

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam2004 View Post
If Escape really wanted to wow us - they would have offered a latex mattress option!!
Another item you can get with Oliver, on their option list . When we picked up our trailer tried with the Escape mattress . Then we sold it after we got home ,and went with ,Latex . We also have on home mattress a 3 in topper . They are not cheap .Much more comfortable and doesn't get hard when the temps are cold or make you hot. They also don't compress and stay that way . The Escape mattress should be on a system like the IKEA bed frame or the European bottom systems . Sitting on plywood makes it miserable .We got the softest Latex we could buy . They come in different degrees of softness to firmer . Latex the way to go . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote