Meaning of life? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2015, 01:30 AM   #21

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
And, oh yes, the Meaning of Life is 42.
Old 08-22-2015, 09:59 AM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandLiz View Post
This was us in Troutdale , near Portland, a few weeks ago. parked between big rigs in 100 degree heat. We hardly ever saw anyone in the CG. Thankfully we were beside a small river (Sandy River RV next to Sandy River) where we could cool off. We didn't see anyone from the big rigs swimming.

Nice CG though - clean bathrooms with showers, laundry and close to Portland.

Larry
I stayed there in early August. Another thing I liked about the campground is the encouraged you to wash your trailer. Not too many campgrounds let you wash trailers, let alone require it for long time visitors. I managed to remove a couple of layers of Alaska Highway mud!
Old 08-22-2015, 10:07 AM   #23
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
And another thing- why all the friggin' dogs? Hard to get away from it all
Current price to board our dog is $85 (annual bordatella shot) plus $70 vet charge plus $35 per day for 1 dog to stay in a cage all day, so the first week cost is over $400 per dog. Our dogs make less noise than other 7 year old kids when camping and stay restrained, so they come along.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:22 AM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
and you're taller than an Escape 5.0 but no taller than large conventional fifth-wheels or highway buses, and still short of having clearance issues on a highway, major streets, or most campgrounds.

I was referring to the new generation of 5th wheelers. The ones that now appear to have stand-up headroom over the truck bed. The ones, on an undulating road, that you first see a white f.g. shape coming, then more and more of it until finally seeing what looks like a small truck much lower down.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:28 AM   #25

Trailer: 2005 Escape 17B Sold 2016. 2016 Escape 19 Sold 2019. 2019 Escape 21 picked up Sep 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Current price to board our dog is $85 (annual bordatella shot) plus $70 vet charge plus $35 per day for 1 dog to stay in a cage all day, so the first week cost is over $400 per dog. Our dogs make less noise than other 7 year old kids when camping and stay restrained, so they come along.
Yep. One of the things I love about camping is that we CAN have our dogs with us. They love hiking as much as we do.
sallemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:45 AM   #26

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
We are at Qualicum First Nation campground on Vancouver Island ( between Nanaimo and Courtenay ). Here to visit an old friend in an assisted care home. It's locked down with Noro virus, so hoping to see him next week.
Nothing to do but eat well.
If you are interested in moving somewhere else, Englishmen River Campground is our favourite in the area. You might not need a reservation to get in. We usually don't. The sites are forested and private. Hiking trail to waterfall. Will probably head out there ourselves tomorrow. (No hook-ups)
Joanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:37 AM   #27

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Cruised by yesterday after Coombs Market. What a zoo that is, and it is only Friday.
Old 08-22-2015, 11:41 AM   #28
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxoco View Post
And, oh yes, the Meaning of Life is 42.
42? So, what is the question? Hmm. Tricky.
Old 08-22-2015, 11:51 AM   #29

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
As I grew up tent camping (into my 50s), I used to wonder about this, too. Then someone pointed out to me that these people are RVing, not camping. Made sense to me.
Camping in an RV, is still a form of camping, as our Escape's are RV's, and we camp in them. It comes down to the experience one is looking for, and I am like you coming from tenting, in that we are just looking for an easier and more comfortable way to get much the same experience. For others, it is all about keeping as much of luxury they have at home as possible, which is something I really don't care, or need, to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I think you're right Ross, that may be a part of it. I'm sure grateful that my wife likes roughing it on occasion as I do. I just cannot picture myself with one of those rolling McMansions.
Not sure if you mean you still go camping in the backcountry, or not, Robert. I definitely don't see camping in our Escapes as roughing it at all though, more like a luxury to me.

Next Tuesday we leave on a 6 day, 5 night, canoe trip to Murtle Lake, in Wells Grey Provincial Park in BC. The largest non-mororized lake in North America. Still don't really see it as roughing it though, just a different experience camping is all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
And another thing- why all the friggin' dogs? Hard to get away from it all
Our dog is an important member of our family, just as our kids are, and is WAY better behaved and mannered.

Heck, the bugger is out camping this weekend without us, while we slave away here at home. My friends and family take him all the time when we can't go.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 12:01 PM   #30
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Not sure if you mean you still go camping in the backcountry, or not, Robert. I definitely don't see camping in our Escapes as roughing it at all though, more like a luxury to me.
I guess I should clarify, Jim. I mean 'roughing it' in two ways. The trailer is nice, to be sure, but it doesn't offer all the things you'd find in your house, so in a sense, you're roughing it. The 2nd way, my kind of roughing it, is to grab a backpack and a tent, hike to where there is absolutely no sign of civilization, and camp. I like both. It's always good to know that when I tire of one, I can switch to the other.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:05 PM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Our dog is an important member of our family, just as our kids are, and is WAY better behaved and mannered.
Gotta agree with that. Our two little dogs traveled the world with us. Extra work, yes, but worth it a hundred times over. No guilt to leaving them behind and super ambassadors. Got to meet and talk to lots of people because they were such good ice-breakers. Disturb other people, never. There were people who flew from Europe to Vancouver who never even knew there was a little dog under their seat.

The down side. She wanted to share both the chicken and the beef.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 12:17 PM   #32

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
The down side. She wanted to share both the chicken and the beef.
Jasper, being raw fed, gets both on a regular basis, and probably eats better than us.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 02:51 PM   #33

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I was referring to the new generation of 5th wheelers. The ones that now appear to have stand-up headroom over the truck bed. The ones, on an undulating road, that you first see a white f.g. shape coming, then more and more of it until finally seeing what looks like a small truck much lower down.
They're not new, but they are now the most common type...
  • high-profile: stand-up headroom around bed in loft bedroom
  • mid-profile: walk-around (while crouching) room around bed in loft bedroom
  • low-profile: crawl-in bed loft (e.g. Escape, most combined horse/RV trailers)
The height is usually somewhat proportioned to the length: no one makes high-profile fifth-wheel trailers as short as the Escape 5.0/5.0TA or low-profile (or even mid-profile) monster trailers.

Most of the "toy hauler" (with garage in the back, usually for off-road vehicles) trailers are high-profile, and take advantage of the height to have a second crawl-in bedroom over the front part of the garage. They look especially big because they carry that roof height all the way to the back, instead of sloping down like an Escape 5.0/5.0TA or conventional fifth-wheel trailers.

Yeah, they can make even a full-size heavier-duty 4x4 pickup look low...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote