Mice and Mint - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2017, 04:49 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Mice and Mint

If you keep the door closed it seems the only way mice can get in is through the shore power port, if it is the factory install, like mine. Their little hands love to climb. Their little heads are very flexible. The Escape trailer, on this point, it would seem, is very inflexible.

My nice printer stopped working. It sent me a message yesterday the ink cartridges were jammed. First evidence we have a problem: when I opened the printer up there were two nuggets of dog food inside, on the trolley track. Worse, then (oh n0) saw the ribbon wire was cut through. Printer is history.

What to do? There’s option 1 of course. I have found using peanut butter on these old wood traps is still the best. But, then a friend with a 5.0 told me when they needed to get Mickey, Minnie and family out the stickie door option 2 worked well. Seems mice don’t like mint. Anyone have experience with this?

Got new printer. Nothing caught here yet but it’s only been one night. I know the little vermin are still around because they also chewed many pages of my collection of old “Woodsmith Notes from the Shop.” Now that really bites.

Planning to sprinkle mint droplets in the house around my printer and then, maybe give it a test in the trailer. Don’t got mice there yet, but why take a chance? It’s often Josie’s crate during the day. I usually leave the door open for her.
Attached Thumbnails
mint2.jpg  
Old 07-10-2017, 05:57 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Myron, I tried the mint thing for mice years ago and it didn't work for me- but maybe it will for you. Here in my region of Wisconsin, mice love automobile air and cabin air filters for nest placement. I started buying these Cabin Fresh and it seems to help with the cabin air filter. I put some in the lower storage cabinets in the Escape while in storage, and so far no mice, but that could also have something to do with having mouse poison baits all over the inside of my enclosed shed.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:37 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
We use Cabin Fresh to keep the mice out of the combine cab with mixed results. As for any mouse problems here at home, "Sebastian" has things under control. How two mice got in the house this winter, I don't know, but they were history within a day. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:43 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
We use Cabin Fresh to keep the mice out of the combine cab with mixed results. As for any mouse problems here at home, "Sebastian" has things under control. How two mice got in the house this winter, I don't know, but they were history within a day. Loren
Good kitty! Works for a living.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:26 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Since our first camper, a pop-up, in 1990 we have placed mothballs inside during the winter and have never had a mouse. Told mice don't like mothballs. We are using them in our Scamp with same results. Only problem is the odor likes to stick around once camping season starts but it's manageable for us.

"It is better to travel well than to arrive" - Buddha
Ljswany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:21 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Mothballs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljswany View Post
Since our first camper, a pop-up, in 1990 we have placed mothballs inside during the winter and have never had a mouse. Told mice don't like mothballs. We are using them in our Scamp with same results. Only problem is the odor likes to stick around once camping season starts but it's manageable for us.
We use mothballs too. We used them on our fold down for 22 years, never a mouse. Odor goes away, doesn't bother us at all. The thousand milk cow dairy about 10 miles southwest of us probably killed what was left of my olfactory nerves, no I think that was the tank house in the meat packing factory that got 6 years of my life. Our late mayor used to say those industries smelled like money.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 11:06 PM   #7

Trailer: 2010 Escape 15A
Mint plants work for me outside. Not sure about just using leaves. Maybe mint extract? Moth balls work great under hot tub!
kkinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 11:44 PM   #8

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
I have bars of irish spring soap in a few areas in my trailer... Can't remember where I read that---but so far so good..
Old 07-10-2017, 11:53 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirie View Post
I have bars of irish spring soap in a few areas in my trailer... Can't remember where I read that---but so far so good..
Ever known a mouse to take a shower?
Old 07-11-2017, 07:20 AM   #10

Salad shooter

When I had the floriculture operation we had quite a time with deer eating the Hostas. We used to buy Irish Spring bar soap at a railroad salvage place. Then the crew would slice it up like you would a cucumber using a salad shooter and we'd use cotton string to hang it on sticks above the hostas. Worked pretty well and lasted pretty good. Your tax dollar at work.
Dave
Old 07-11-2017, 07:31 AM   #11

Mouse bath

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Ever known a mouse to take a shower?
Glenn
I have given mice a bath a few times with bad results (for the mouse). Mice get into any food left out in my shed like ear corn for squirrels. I fill a bucket half full of water and stretch and tape a wax paper cover on the bucket rim. On that top I sprinkle some corn and lay a piece of pallet board at an angle against the bucket. In a couple days mice find the corn and eat it every night. Using a sharp blade I cut a large x in the paper. Mouse slides down the paper and into his waiting bath below. Hey Mickey Mouse, how long can you tread water? Maybe I ought to put some Irish spring in the water?
Dave
Old 07-11-2017, 07:53 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
So many great solutions!

.....In my barbie on the back porch a few weeks ago. Now I always check before I fire it up. Wonder if a bar of Irish Spring would work there.
Attached Thumbnails
mouse1.jpg