Microwave shelf - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2018, 07:31 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Microwave shelf

We are currently ordering a 19’ Escape and are not happy with either option for the placement of the microwave. One seems too high and the other is too low. We plan to eliminate the cooktop/stove and hood and would like to have the microwave installed where the ventilation hood is located. Has anyone else done that? (In 6 years with the Scamp, we never cooked in the camper)
GingerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:52 PM   #2

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerB View Post
We are currently ordering a 19’ Escape and are not happy with either option for the placement of the microwave. One seems too high and the other is too low. We plan to eliminate the cooktop/stove and hood and would like to have the microwave installed where the ventilation hood is located. Has anyone else done that? (In 6 years with the Scamp, we never cooked in the camper)

One thing you might keep in mind is resale. I imagine a trailer with no stove or a difficult to retrofit option to install one would be very hard to sell. The new stove is recessed so it would not be in the way. You could opt to not have the hood installed and see if they would run a 120 volt outlet up there. Then you could install a microwave yourself.
But I would talk to Reace first and find out how much weight can be up there.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:01 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
ETI might do a custom cabinet between the countertop and the upper cabinets like they do for a 2nd wardrobe on top of the 21 nightstand. Always worth asking! However, I agree that resale could be an issue.

Think you'd be better off with having them supply the material to build a cabinet that would bridge the stove top, have the wall to the rear reinforced, and anchor the new cabinet there.

If a future owner wants the stove instead, they could remove the cabinet. I would still have ETI install the micro outlet in their default location and you can have the door on it for storage. Future owner could put their own microwave there if they choose.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:38 AM   #4

Stove

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
One thing you might keep in mind is resale. I imagine a trailer with no stove or a difficult to retrofit option to install one would be very hard to sell. The new stove is recessed so it would not be in the way. You could opt to not have the hood installed and see if they would run a 120 volt outlet up there. Then you could install a microwave yourself.
But I would talk to Reace first and find out how much weight can be up there.
Thank you for the info. The recessed stovetop would make a difference. In the Scamp, I found the raised stovetop to be very annoying. I also find open flames in small enclosed spaces to be terrifying. We are never boondockers - we always stay in campgrounds so we use electricity for everything. We plan to use an induction plate for pan cooking so there is less heat generated within the camper.

Is the recessed cooktop flush with the surface?
Old 07-10-2018, 08:34 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
That microwave in the oh would be too heavy as well as you want the heavy stuff below for better towing. Sometimes aesthetics and common sense do not always mix.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerB View Post
Thank you for the info. The recessed stovetop would make a difference. In the Scamp, I found the raised stovetop to be very annoying. I also find open flames in small enclosed spaces to be terrifying. We are never boondockers - we always stay in campgrounds so we use electricity for everything. We plan to use an induction plate for pan cooking so there is less heat generated within the camper.

Is the recessed cooktop flush with the surface?

Here is a link to a discussion on the new stove.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f2...tml#post232959

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...tml#post249414
Old 07-10-2018, 10:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
That microwave in the oh would be too heavy as well as you want the heavy stuff below for better towing. Sometimes aesthetics and common sense do not always mix.

If they mount it at the same location as the hood it will be just a little lower than the stock location. Just moved across the aisle. But I still would check with Reace to see if the upper storage area needs reinforcement if something heavier than a hood is placed there.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:07 AM   #8

Here are some current pictures of recessed stove, ss hood is standard
Attached Thumbnails
image001.jpg   New cooktop installed with custom formica.jpg   New cooktop with lid open with custom formica.jpg  
Old 07-10-2018, 10:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Here are some current pictures of recessed stove, ss hood is standard

If the new 19's had that much counter and storage space I'd join you waiting for a new one.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:40 AM   #10

It is just a picture of the stove install, Escape model is irrelevant...one is in a 21 and other 2 in a 19
Old 07-10-2018, 11:04 AM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I'd like to caution you about something. Don't look to your past, that's in the rear view mirror and you're not going that way... You're having a trailer built for your future. What would you like that future to look like? "We always..." is not the future. For instance, if you would like to camp in a National Park, know 99% of that camping will be dry camping. No water, no electricity and you might not be able to run a generator. Propane is desirable. Too, just because you have it doesn't mean you ever have to use it. BUT, it will give you choices. If there's no electricity, no sun for solar and the bugs are bad, you won't be relegated to eating PB&J sandwiches, you can pan sear a steak!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 01:15 PM   #12

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'd like to caution you about something. Don't look to your past, that's in the rear view mirror and you're not going that way... You're having a trailer built for your future. What would you like that future to look like? "We always..." is not the future.

Second that! I use an electric cooktop most of the time as I figure I'm already paying for the electricity and why should I also pay for propane at the same time. (Same reason why I have electric, stand-alone heaters.)

However, I also know that I'm going to be using my propane cooktop as well. And I do. Especially when I'm plugged into a friend's power supply and I have a choice between a/c or cooking on the electric burner. A/C wins out every time! (Well, it was pretty stinking hot on my trips, which may not always be the case.)

I'm not a huge fan of open flames and had never cooked on propane (or gas) before getting this trailer. I'm very, very careful around the flame. I run the match under water immediately after using it as I'm worried I'll set the trash on fire when I toss it away. Heck, I never use candles at home (one of our cats burned his fur many years ago when my mom had candles on the fireplace hearth) or do campfires as I just don't like open flames (a pyro I'm not).

You said you never cooked in your Scamp. You might in your new one, unless you're always cooking outside. Heck, you could develop a ton of food allergies and HAVE to start cooking your own food to get around the commercial products (as I well know).

How about leaving the microwave out on the counter on top of the new recessed stovetop? And then putting it on the bed or in a cabinet when you travel?

I'd strongly advise against not getting the factory installed cooktop. You're not always gonna have power and you'll eventually be happy it's there.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 01:49 PM   #13

I also like to cook as much as possible outside with the electric fry pan, hot plate and Colman stove...just to reduce the food smells and splatter. However I would not delete the stove or hood. I agree that the microwave over the fridge could be unsafe with the handling of hot liquids but...
You could just sit the microwave of your choice over the stove and attach it to the back and side splash screws that are already there. Everything can be returned to normal at time of resale. If you need more counter which I doubt as you say you cook outside, just use the top of the microwave.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 03:27 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Helpful hint for lighting the propane cooktops. I think the new ones light themselves, but for our model, we use one of those $3-4 fireplace lighters, and my favorite part is when the fuel runs out to make a flame, it doesn't matter, since the spark in the neck of the lighter still lights the cooktop.

Don't have to douse the match.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 03:33 PM   #15

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i don't need a match to light the cook top -only for the oven and i use a long lighter to do that.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:44 PM   #16

I like the look of the new cooktop. Thank you for all the great information.

Tags
build, microwave, no cooktop