My Escape 5.0TA order - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2017, 10:02 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
i was actually at the Furrion site earlier today, and could not find a port in white, just stainless. Your link took me to the main site, do you have a link to what you bought?

I am still thinking I might install a 6x6 bulkhead hatch and install up to 5 connectors in there, but still not decided, thus my interest in other ports.
- portable solar - I have a Cnlinko one
- TV cable or antenna - a regular bulkhead one would work, but looking for something waterproof
- WiFi repeater - I have a waterproof shielded RJ45 connecttor
- DC outlet - I have a waterproof cigarette style outlet.
- Possibly something for a cellphone booster, but all I have seen is direct

This is a hatch I have. The same one I used to house my Low Pressure Quick Connect.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:05 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
One thing I like about the bath window is if parked in a dusty area or next to a dry gravel road with traffic, I can keep the bath window open for the air circulation and most of the dust will stay in the bathroom where it can be washed away easily. I also do this with the trailer in storage as it is parked on gravel at an RV storage area. Only the bathroom window is cracked open, the (better quality) curtain is closed but air can move in and a Maxi Fan lid is slightly open so circulation can happen. Just my 2 cents.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:09 PM   #23

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
i was actually at the Furrion site earlier today, and could not find a port in white, just stainless. Your link took me to the main site, do you have a link to what you bought?
Try this link

https://www.furrion.com/store/energy...ite-p-947.html

Home page, Products, Energy, Net Zero Solar

If I had questions and called I found them to be very helpful!
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 07:56 AM   #24

Trailer: 2012 Escape-19
Furrion solar conn.

FWIW
I bought a Furrion Solar bulkhead connector and jack and decided not to use it. The connectors are for 12 ga. wires. Most people I know use 10 ga. wires or larger for external portable solar panels. (It's hard to connect the larger wires to the cable connector and not recommended.) The main reason for me not using the Furrion was the size of the hole required to be drilled into the trailer, better than 2". I found trolling motor connectors or winch connectors required less than a 1" hole and can handle 10-8 ga. wires.
On the Furrion TV connectors, the smaller Furrion connector requires a much smaller hole and the RF jack sets proud of the backing making cable connection easier. I have not seen the larger connector but suspect it requires the big mounting hole. Also the RF jack seems to be recessed making cable connection more difficult. The smaller connection is very inexpensive, smaller and does the job.
Don't get me wrong I like Furrion products but do your research on these two applications.
Eddie
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 12:37 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
Try this link

https://www.furrion.com/store/energy...ite-p-947.html

Home page, Products, Energy, Net Zero Solar

If I had questions and called I found them to be very helpful!
Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by elongest View Post
Don't get me wrong I like Furrion products but do your research on these two applications.
I have done lots of research into various ports, and still am, but finding hordes of potential solutions out there. I have to decide soon, as there are a few things I am going to install within the next while. I keep coming back to the idea of the hatch box to house them, as it will give one clean looking fitting rather than 4 or 5 smaller ones, though would larger at 6-1/2” h x 7-5/8” w outside dimensions.

Like everything with our trailers, so many options for so may things to be done.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-10-2017, 07:07 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by elongest View Post
FWIW
I bought a Furrion Solar bulkhead connector and jack and decided not to use it. The connectors are for 12 ga. wires.
Eddie
The Furrion receptacle has two wires that look like 10 gauge wire and ETI will be wiring it in. Spec sheet has 10 to 12 gauge wire listed. I took 10 gauge wire to the mating plug and looks like it will solder to the two pins just fine. But agree everyone should do their own research!

Quote:
Thanks!
I keep coming back to the idea of the hatch box to house them, as it will give one clean looking fitting rather than 4 or 5 smaller ones, though would larger at 6-1/2” h x 7-5/8” w outside dimensions.

Like everything with our trailers, so many options for so may things to be done.
I hear you Jim, I too thought about having one access hatch for solar, booster cables etc. but just could not find what I would be happy with. We each like what we like!

Current plans, the Furrion solar receptacle will be the only additional port added beyond standard ETI items. Once I have trailer and live with it for a while. Other mods will be on the horizon.

Just a thought that just came to me and maybe crazy, but what about taking something like the Furrion solar port or 30 amp removable cord receptacle from marine world and cutting out the guts, but leave the cap for water tight seal, but when open you have a two inch hole to run cable through. On my Casita I use to run my 30 amp cable through water noodle to fill the mouse hole in the hatch to prevent varmits from crawling in.
Attached Thumbnails
20170429_113842.jpg   20170429_113943.jpg   20170429_114537.jpg   Size comparison.jpg  
Old 11-11-2017, 07:18 AM   #27

Quote:
Just a thought that just came to me and maybe crazy, but what about taking something like the Furrion solar port or 30 amp removable cord receptacle from marine world and cutting out the guts, but leave the cap for water tight seal, but when open you have a two inch hole to run cable through. On my Casita I use to run my 30 amp cable through water noodle to fill the mouse hole in the hatch to prevent varmits from crawling in.
I would be tempted to do a bulkhead connector in the stead, to allow easy connection of the exterior cable. Maybe Furrion would supply the basic hatch without the guts, you could easily fabricate a bulkhead on it.

Thanks, now more to think about.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:07 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
Hi Kent,

I'd like to recommend three more minor additions to your build sheet that my wife and I find very useful
  • Additional light switch by the front door wired to the overhead light between the kitchen and the bathroom
Thomas I received response from Tina regarding the light switch for overhead dome light. 2018 5.0TA comes standard with two switches, one for porch light and one for dome light. Did not ask if this change is for all 2018 models. I will have 3 switches one for porch, one for dome and the one I'm adding that turns on D/S and the exterior rear LED light I'm adding.

Cheers!
Old 11-14-2017, 01:02 AM   #29

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Quote:
Thomas I received response from Tina regarding the light switch for overhead dome light. 2018 5.0TA comes standard with two switches, one for porch light and one for dome light. Did not ask if this change is for all 2018 models.
Kent,

I guess ETI "saw the light" when they decided to make this a standard feature. (Sorry, I couldn't help it.)
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:29 AM   #30

Quote:
I will have 3 switches one for porch, one for dome and the one I'm adding that turns on D/S and the exterior rear LED light I'm adding.
One thing that was pointed out to me that I went with, was that when needing any exterior lights aside from the porch light, I was usually doing something where they would be needed, and it would be a pain to go back inside to turn on, only to return to where the task was at hand.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:38 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
Kent,

I guess ETI "saw the light" when they decided to make this a standard feature. (Sorry, I couldn't help it.)
You are a funny man Thomas
Old 11-14-2017, 10:49 PM   #32

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Also be careful with the cx mount toilet tissue holder, do not use screws in the box.
Yep, especially if it's on the outside wall. Trust me on this.

Personally, I only use it for a spare roll of paper and could easily have done without it (but since we were new to trailering, we didn't think that way at the time). I ended up mounting a "stick" type one from Ikea that uses suction cups and I added some heavy duty velcro to it. No biggie tossing the roll on the bed when taking a shower.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:50 PM   #33

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Yep, especially if it's on the outside wall. Trust me on this.

Personally, I only use it for a spare roll of paper and could easily have done without it (but since we were new to trailering, we didn't think that way at the time). I ended up mounting a "stick" type one from Ikea that uses suction cups and I added some heavy duty velcro to it. No biggie tossing the roll on the bed when taking a shower.
Laura, Laura your suppose to put your tissue in the holder . 2 months before our pickup I saw one at Marine West and wanted to buy it . Was going to go back after we got the trailer home . One of the items I was so happy about was the tissue holder , the one I was going to buy , it was there hanging in the shower . Yay ! We use the shower and tissue never gets wet . I didn't care for the previous tissue holder in a shower . You shouldn't of been given long screws ,and some guidance where you can't install the tissue holder . But it's all good now . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:57 PM   #34

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
The screws weren't the problem. It was the drill bit.
Old 12-23-2017, 12:56 AM   #35

Tow Rig

Found out today my new truck came in. They need to complete their inspection etc. and off to accessory shop where I will have XPEL Ultimate paint protection film installed on the front end.

Should be in my garage next Wednesday or Thursday due to Holiday. First major purchase completed and can get to work installing Anderson hitch, 7 Pin bed adapter and a Fold-A-Cover.

Merry Christmas to me!
Attached Thumbnails
2018 GMC Canyon 12-22-2017.jpg  
Old 12-23-2017, 06:35 AM   #36

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Found out today my new truck came in. They need to complete their inspection etc. and off to accessory shop where I will have XPEL Ultimate paint protection film installed on the front end.

Should be in my garage next Wednesday or Thursday due to Holiday. First major purchase completed and can get to work installing Anderson hitch, 7 Pin bed adapter and a Fold-A-Cover.

Merry Christmas to me!
Hi: Kent... Nice looking tug!!! Why it's even got some snow on the tires to add to the spirit of Christmas.
As for naughty or nice...you must have been really, really NICE!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 08:19 AM   #37

Quote:

Merry Christmas to me!
Even though it isn't a Ford, I must say that is a very nice looking truck. Congrats on that.

I have been using the Fold-A-Cover and their toolbox for over two years now, and just love it. Never had any moisture, and the only dust leaked in through the tailgate. The Anderson hitch and 7-pin in the post are great choices too.
Old 12-23-2017, 08:33 AM   #38

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
So what color trim will the Escape have to match this pretty truck?
Old 12-23-2017, 08:38 AM   #39

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:

Merry Christmas to me!
congratulations

looks very nice!!
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 09:02 PM   #40

Quote:
Even though it isn't a Ford, I must say that is a very nice looking truck. Congrats on that.

I have been using the Fold-A-Cover and their toolbox for over two years now, and just love it. Never had any moisture, and the only dust leaked in through the tailgate. The Anderson hitch and 7-pin in the post are great choices too.
Thanks Jim, I purchased the toolbox as well. Seems to be great place to put stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
So what color trim will the Escape have to match this pretty truck?
cpaharley - 5.0TA will not have any graphics and just the black trim around the center. Truck paint color is Satin Steel Metallic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
congratulationslooks very nice!!
Billy, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Kent... Nice looking tug!!! Why it's even got some snow on the tires to add to the spirit of Christmas.
As for naughty or nice...you must have been really, really NICE!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
The way I discovered it had arrived, Received call from dealer I could get $2500 rebate on top of my negotiated price, but needed to complete paperwork by end of month. When I arrived at dealer they were pulling it in, saw it and said that's my truck! Was nice surprise!