My Escape 5.0TA order - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2018, 10:37 PM   #61

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
U S happiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
You can't just look at one tax and make a decision. Alberta has no sales tax but has one of the highest income taxes on middle income earners.
You have to look at all the taxes and the services. If you want to live in a state with no roads, go ahead. Taxes will probably be lower.
Scandinavian countries have the highest taxes and are all in the top ten for happiest populations.
Canada is down at #7 and the US is #18.
US # 18 and there’s a rope with a concrete boat anchor at one end and the other end around a lot of people’s ankles. And some fool just stood up in the canoe to get a better look over the edge.
Glass is a lot lower than half empty.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-29-2018, 10:06 AM   #62

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
Depends on how you look at it. No sales tax and lower cost of living, but 6 months of cold and snow.
I hear you . But this state has so many taxes . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:35 AM   #63

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
US # 18 and there’s a rope with a concrete boat anchor at one end and the other end around a lot of people’s ankles. And some fool just stood up in the canoe to get a better look over the edge.
Glass is a lot lower than half empty.
Iowa Dave
Hi: Iowa Dave...Everyone knows "There's nothing bigger than Tx's"!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 09:16 PM   #64

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
RVS Wifi Hitch Camera

Thought I would try the RVS Wifi rear hitch camera to aide in backing up to king pin when I get my 5.0TA. Camera has built in rechargeable battery and creates it's own wifi network to connect to smart phone.

Picture from camera was downloaded from the App and after enlarging it, the picture is not as clear as what you see on your phone. Original downloaded picture from the App is about 320x300.

Tried it out in drive way today, turn on camera, open the app and camera connects to see behind. Has magnetic base and can be used for fifth wheel or bumper pull trailers.

As most new cars come with rear view camera most folks will not need additional camera for bumper pull, but for fifth wheels the rear view cameras in back of truck is useless for lining up the king pin.

Since my Fold-A-Cover is not magnetic. I purchased a small metal plate used for Magnetic cell phone holders and applied to my cover in the open position.

Looking forward to trying it out!
Attached Thumbnails
RVS Wifi Hitch Camera 1522456493961b.jpg   RVS Wifi Hitch Camera.JPG  
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 10:14 PM   #65

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
Thought I would try the RVS Wifi rear hitch camera to aide in backing up to king pin when I get my 5.0TA. Camera has built in rechargeable battery and creates it's own wifi network to connect to smart phone.!
I had bought the RVS hitch camera with the monitor for the same purpose, it would only stay on for 2.5 minutes, not enough for me in terms of hookup. I called the company twice, and both times they said that was how it was designed- it seemed like a flaw to me, so I returned it. Maybe yours without the monitor doesn’t work the same way.

I have since bought an iball camera which I’ve tried for the first time the other day, seems to stay on indefinitely. Like it so far, but have not really put it to use yet.
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 11:17 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapitre View Post
I had bought the RVS hitch camera with the monitor for the same purpose, it would only stay on for 2.5 minutes, not enough for me in terms of hookup. I called the company twice, and both times they said that was how it was designed- it seemed like a flaw to me, so I returned it. Maybe yours without the monitor doesn’t work the same way.
Thus far the wifi camera using cell phone has stayed on as long as I had the camera powered up. Will have to test further to see if any time limit issue shows up and maybe read directions beyond what I have to get camera working.

Thanks for responding!
Old 03-31-2018, 12:32 AM   #67

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
which camera is it?
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 07:04 AM   #68

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
His is the one above RVS wireless pairs with your phone. My first one was and RVS wireless but came without it’s own monitor that you plug into your cigarette lighter and the camera paired with the plug in.

RVS - rear view safety.
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 08:43 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
which camera is it?
Foxhunt if you asking about my camera it is the RVS-83112-Wifi

RVS-83112-WiFi | WiFi Hitch Camera | RVS Systems
Old 03-31-2018, 09:45 AM   #70

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I was considering a backup camera for hitching my 5.0TA, but have not got one yet. I have found it to be not too much hassle without it. It is real easy to line up straight using the rear view mirror, and then it is a matter of getting the distance right. I always like to stop short by about a foot to make my chain and electrical connections, then close the tailgate, note how much more to back up and often the first try get it, and worst case is to have to back up a wee bit more one time. Seeing it takes less than 5 seconds to jump out and check the distance needed, it is not too big of a deal for me.

I still may set a backup camera in the box for hitching, it is just not that urgent of a deal for me. I have seen some nicely priced ones on aliexpress.com I am considering.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 10:12 AM   #71

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I had thought about a camera a couple times, but I don't in it hard to hookup anyway, granted I've done it for quite a while.

I put a strip of white tape down the center of the pin box and a small piece on the opened tonneau cover. As long as I sit in the truck with my head the same each time it's easy to get the alignment right each time. Just need to check for height, which might be hard to get right if the picture Kent posted is any indication.

The only tricky situation is when you can't be in line. Even that gets easier with practice.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:17 AM   #72

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
If you were to get a camera, it's best mounted so that it is looking down, not looking back, if you want to judge distance.
Old 03-31-2018, 01:59 PM   #73

Figured the camera would help as I have vision issues when moving my head quickly or turning to look behind me. Complications from 2 brain surgeries in 2008.
Old 04-01-2018, 01:46 PM   #74

I believe I'm ready!

I think my truck is ready for my 5th wheel.
Attached Thumbnails
Ready_for_5th_Wheel_DSC_1922.jpg  
Old 04-01-2018, 02:19 PM   #75

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
You need more chains to hold the hitch down
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:44 AM   #76

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Hi Kent, what an incredibly well thought out piece of joy. A couple of questions if I may: where did you install both counter extensions? Why did you decide to remove the bathroom sink and toilet paper dispenser? Did you do anything with the medicine cabinet in the bathroom? Thank you. SandBuzzard
SandBuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 02:02 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandBuzzard View Post
Hi Kent, what an incredibly well thought out piece of joy. A couple of questions if I may: where did you install both counter extensions? Why did you decide to remove the bathroom sink and toilet paper dispenser? Did you do anything with the medicine cabinet in the bathroom? Thank you. SandBuzzard
Hello SandBuzzard,

Counter extensions - Kitchen cabinet by entry door (standard location), fridge wall driver side below 2nd TV mount and foot of bed attached to full height cabinet passenger side below standard TV mount.

Bath sink delete – personal choice - I just find them too small to use, in the way and would rather have the space. Some use it and love it and some don’t. With that said if there will be more than one person in the trailer. I could see the bath sink having more value.

TP Holder – I asked them not to install it, but give it to me at my OR. I may or may not install, but will have the option.

Medicine cabinet - installed as normal no mods requested.
Old 04-08-2018, 03:04 PM   #78

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Just remember, when installing the t/p holder, do not use the enclosed screws in the box, another member found out that Escape does not use those screws as they are too long......
Old 04-08-2018, 04:54 PM   #79

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Just remember, when installing the t/p holder, do not use the enclosed screws in the box, another member found out that Escape does not use those screws as they are too long......
Actually, the screws were not too long. The wall was too thin.
Old 04-08-2018, 05:16 PM   #80

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Raises hand. That was me. What a mess that was. It was mounted on an outside wall. Maybe an inside wall won't have the same problem.

I don't even use that holder any longer except for a spare stash of TP. I now have a suction mounted one on the wall that I got from Ikea. I also put some heavy duty double backed sticky velcro on the suction mount (as it kept falling off in travel) and the wall. Stays in place now (knock on wood, of course). I found that I got really annoyed with taking the roll out and unwinding paper all the time. And of course women need FAR more TP than guys so, so I don't need all the guys chiming in that it's not a problem for them. Um, yeah, ask some women about it. I much prefer to use my TP coming off a roll holder thingie (you knew I had to say thingie, didn't you?).

I did the same (sticky velcro) with a suction mounted towel bar from Ikea. Of course I remove the towels and TP when taking a shower. I also take them down when traveling so there isn't any additional stress on the velcro. Handy to have the bed right there to fling them on.

Originally we didn't want a sink, but it turns out they can't remove them in the 21. However, now I'm fine with it. It's a great place to stash the showerhead, hose and soap dish (again, a suction mounted one from Ikea) while traveling. The attached photo was taken before I mounted the soap dish on the outside wall, above the sink. I used to use it in the kitchen - hated it cuz it was white so I found something else to use. With cats on it, of course.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC05334.jpg  
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote