My new 2019 E-21 build list countdown! - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-29-2018, 03:07 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in Bend View Post
Two items we included in our 21' that you might wish to consider are:
• opening window over counter on driver's side
• outside light over exterior storage box

With or without the additions you have put together an awesome trailer. We love our 2018.
The light is already on the list, but I can’t convince my DW on the window, nor the added cabinet.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:11 PM   #22

Trailer: 21' Escape Trailer (June 2018)
Good. It's quite a build list so I guess I missed it. I had a 19' without the light and wished I had it more than once.
Bob in Bend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 03:13 PM   #23

Trailer: 21' Escape Trailer (June 2018)
The window adds light and fresh air, and gives some relief to the driver's side exterior, if you're into that sort of thing.
Bob in Bend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 03:24 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The EZ winterizing set up interior is better for several reasons. If you want to use the trailer while winterized , you can by using the antifreee for flushing. Also the foam option would preclude the outside set up and and water in the pick up tube should drain out with the drain open.
Old 11-29-2018, 05:14 PM   #25

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrgramps View Post
Of concern is;
My Jeep Grand Cherokee has REAR LOAD LEVELING SUSPENSION, and Jeep requires WDH for trailers over 3500 pounds. For the E2 WDH’s, ETI buildsheets state: *Not Compatible with vehicles that have an Air Leveling Suspension System
So it’s needed, but not possible?
Jeep says that a WDH is required; although they say it is required for over 3500 pounds of trailer, they probably really mean over 350 pounds of tongue weight.

ETI says that this specific WDH is not compatible with air suspension. While automatically-leveling suspensions can make setup of a WDH more difficult, the Fastway E2 manual that I downloaded doesn't include anything about incompatibility, and the Jeep will have no problem with it because the E2 is functionally no different from any other WDH with a lot of friction. Jeep may have a specific procedure for WD setup and hitching with the air suspension; what year of Grand Cherokee is it?

If you want the E2 and Escape won't set it up with the Jeep, you may need to set it up yourself or have another hitch shop set it up.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 05:56 PM   #26

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
what year of Grand Cherokee is it?
His profile says 2011
Old 11-29-2018, 06:16 PM   #27

Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Wow, that's a lot of options for sure, I believe we could get a very nice trailer and not get 75% of the options that were listed on the list.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 06:44 PM   #28

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
It looks like a well thought out and rather conservative list of options to us
There are several options on your list along with several options that are not , that in hindsight we wished we had given more thought and consideration .
My wife has me started on rectifying the situation . At my age it would have been a lot easier , cheaper and faster to have ETI do it during the build .

Good Luck
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 07:30 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in Bend View Post
The window adds light and fresh air, and gives some relief to the driver's side exterior, if you're into that sort of thing.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:59 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
Wow, that's a lot of options for sure, I believe we could get a very nice trailer and not get 75% of the options that were listed on the list.

trainman
Probably, although my Casita SD is loaded with lots of bells and whistles too. Having the options, and not needing them is better than needing them and... as we hear all the time.

Weather permitting, we’ve always brought our clam, and setup for all camping activities outside. Otherwise, we get holed up inside. Will I get a TV? Dunno. We usually have full hookups, and we will never boondock. Never? Really? Therefore, I’ve added the luxuries for both ways. ...and on down the list. With luxurious luxuries.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:13 PM   #31

Quote:
Jeep says that a WDH is required; although they say it is required for over 3500 pounds of trailer, they probably really mean over 350 pounds of tongue weight.

ETI says that this specific WDH is not compatible with air suspension. While automatically-leveling suspensions can make setup of a WDH more difficult, the Fastway E2 manual that I downloaded doesn't include anything about incompatibility, and the Jeep will have no problem with it because the E2 is functionally no different from any other WDH with a lot of friction. Jeep may have a specific procedure for WD setup and hitching with the air suspension; what year of Grand Cherokee is it?

If you want the E2 and Escape won't set it up with the Jeep, you may need to set it up yourself or have another hitch shop set it up.
Yes! Fastway told me the same thing almost. I’ve voiced this with ETI, and they will get back with me tomorrow. Again, I think ETI is concerned that the Jeep and E2 will volley for dominance all along the pikes.

Fastway told me; “auto leveling systems can be an issue for all weight distribution systems. when the back raises and levels out it is actually lessening the pressure on the arms of the hitch. which is canceling out the weight distribution and sway control. however if set up properly this is not an issue. so yes the E2 is compatible with your set up and completely safe.”

I’ll learn more about it later, if I do go that route. Regardless, Fastway told me it’s ok, it’s compatible, and it’s safe.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:15 PM   #32

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Jeep may have a specific procedure for WD setup and hitching with the air suspension; what year of Grand Cherokee is it?
As Dave pointed out, this is a 2011 Grand Cherokee. I had just looked at the summary panel and missed the member details.

Some vehicles with air suspension provide instructions for disabling or controlling the suspension during WDH setup. I checked the 2011 Grand Cherokee manual and didn't find anything about this, but there is a way to disable the air suspension while changing a tire.

It might take a couple rounds of adjustment to get the spring bar force right with the suspension maintaining a constant height front and back, but it's not a problem, and the situation would be the same with any WDH. If you want this hitch, you can use it, even if Escape doesn't want to set it up.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 08:33 PM   #33

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Looks good

The wife and I also placed our down payment on the 21. March 19th date. Our list is in. Very comparable to yours. Getting very excited.
A few options we opted for other than your list, were the framed thermal windows, manual awning, and a few minor details. But also getting lots of installed options.
We feel after having our Scamp 19 for 10 years, that this build includes all the items we really wanted and never had. So we hope to camp in all sorts of conditions and ways. Should be covered.
Good luck on the build. We are building anticipation together.
PeterK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 09:19 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
The wife and I also placed our down payment on the 21. March 19th date. Our list is in. Very comparable to yours. Getting very excited.
A few options we opted for other than your list, were the framed thermal windows, manual awning, and a few minor details. But also getting lots of installed options.
We feel after having our Scamp 19 for 10 years, that this build includes all the items we really wanted and never had. So we hope to camp in all sorts of conditions and ways. Should be covered.
Good luck on the build. We are building anticipation together.
Whatever we end up with is bound to be good! You too have probably followed all those posts about windows and awnings, until information overload struck you beside the head, and then; Kapow! That’s it.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:16 PM   #35

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Windows and awning

Yes don't reply often but I follow this and Fiberglass rv. Yes read all I could plus some. I don't feel you are wrong either way on either. For awning or window choice. We tried to use our past experiences And felt our choices matched our thoughts s for use. I really like the looks of framless windows and power awning. Very clan neat look. For us and our use, we thought the others would work better for our needs. Can't lose either way.
Our Scamp had no awning, and non-thermal sliders. Had great times. Don't sweat he little thoughts, just enjoy the unit.
PeterK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 05:52 PM   #36

Another issue which has been beat to death, is the narrow rear seat that nearly everyone voices, for the U-shape dinette. After wearing the search engine out, now it’s my turn to work on this 48 inch deep dinette area.

Some of you have widened the rear storage bench by 3, 4, or more inches.

Some of you have used boards to accomplish close to the same.

Some of you have left the table behind, because you are satisfied with a lounge area only.

Like quite a few of you, I have a Lagun mount. I also would like a 25 inch wide bench, same as the side benches. Great size for easy sitting, easy lounging, and easy naps, since my therm-a-rest is also 25” wide. Unfortunately, that makes the table; only 23”. (In our Casita, we have both dinettes made into beds, and don’t bring the tables). So maybe it’s doable, and I can stop there. But...

I’m about modded $$$ out, with yet another expense. If I let things go standard, no price increase is incurred. The table and lagun mount can be left in the tow vehicle, and the fill boards can make up the difference. I will have to add cushions to my buildsheet. Another expense.

Jim, what size are your fill cushions? Donna Dee, did you change yours to make up your lounge area?

Maybe I’m coming up with my own answer(?).

With a week to buildsheet deadline, I want to be done with what-ifs. Hope you folks understand how, when deadlines approach, it can get nerve-wracking, exhausting, and exhilarating; almost simultaneously.
Old 12-05-2018, 05:59 PM   #37

I'll save you some time, if you go here http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...jack-3134.html
you can see what 2 pieces of 1x4 pine that fit under the kitchen sink and using the corner cushions can result in. See page 23 for pictures
Old 12-05-2018, 06:25 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'll save you some time, if you go here http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...jack-3134.html
you can see what 2 pieces of 1x4 pine that fit under the kitchen sink and using the corner cushions can result in. See page 23 for pictures
Thanks Jim. Yeah, I’ve seen that before. Then, the corner cushions can be robbed for the fill of about 7”?

If so, then that 7”, with the 18” bench, makes 25”!!!

Get a couple of those arm rest seat backs, and the space where the corner cushions were, are effectively hidden. Yay!
Old 12-06-2018, 01:09 PM   #39

Wire Drops

Okay, the dinette mods are settled.
Now to the wire drops for added 12 volt fixtures. Many folks have added (5 or so) 12 volt drops for lights ($25 each)

My build sheet specifies 6 captains lights, amongst other various 12 volt accessories. Can’t the wires for the already available lights be spliced into, and used for even more 12 volt accessories?
Old 12-06-2018, 01:51 PM   #40

The wire drops are $50 each, so I just put them down as additional 12v round outlets, same price at $50 each. Very easy to tap into the power in the rear and still have an outlet. I'm down for 5 12v extra and 3 extra 120v in DeJaView. I also swapped the under cabinet pancake lights for captain lights in case they start to flicker, easily replaceable bulbs vs entire light fixtures.