Need a paper towel solution.... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2013, 05:20 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 19' Escape
Question Need a paper towel solution....

hi All,

well we are on our first LONG trip and are thinking of things to make it even better! one of those things that comes to mind is a paper towel holder. I recall seeing pictures of one that had a kinda pointed shape?If anyone has ideas I would love to hear of them. thanks

Cheers Janet:

we are the Worth's and this is our little fort....Fort Worth
Janet W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:26 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
We use one that hooks over a cabinet door. It can be turned to the inside to be out of the way, to the outside to be handy, or removed for travel if desired. With the limited space in the trailer, it is nice to be able to have it out of the way.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet W View Post
hi All,

well we are on our first LONG trip and are thinking of things to make it even better! one of those things that comes to mind is a paper towel holder. I recall seeing pictures of one that had a kinda pointed shape?If anyone has ideas I would love to hear of them. thanks

Cheers Janet:
I have not seen the pointed one and you do not specify counter or mounted one this is the one I ordered from Home Depot.
simplehuman Wall Mount Paper Towel Holder, Stainless Steel

Amazon.com: simplehuman Wall Mount Paper Towel Holder, Stainless Steel: Home & Kitchen

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:34 PM   #4

I picked this up from the local Canadian Superstore and installed it with double-sided tape in the location shown. It's completely out of the way yet easy to get to from inside or out.

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
IMG-20130725-00071.jpg  

2012 Escape 19'
2013 F350 crewcab 4x4
Paul S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:19 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
And, this is the one we have ( have the same at home ). Mine was installed ( in 2008 ) with double sided tape, above the sink on the underside of the cabinet. It's out of the way and handy. Just have to remember to remove the paper towel and the TP when traveling or they will unravel.
Attached Thumbnails
paper towel holder.jpg  
Old 07-25-2013, 06:23 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I use that one at home and will supply Reace with one to install when he builds our 19' It works great - will not unravel by itself.
kstock11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:47 PM   #7

Trailer: 2012 17B
I don't know how to attach a picture but use this one at home. The same as a wall mount worked in my MH, never unravelled. To me it's the best! Perfect Tear Paper Towel Holder - Bed Bath & Beyond
Sally P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:37 PM   #8

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
We use one that hooks over a cabinet door. It can be turned to the inside to be out of the way, to the outside to be handy, or removed for travel if desired. With the limited space in the trailer, it is nice to be able to have it out of the way.

Bingo, probably the only solution to the space I don't have. I like Glenn's rig but my 17B has a window there. Jim, the specs say it's designed for 7/8 thick doors; how does it work on our 3/4 thickness?
soultrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:13 AM   #9

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
The one Jim has is what we use in our 17B--and we keep it to the inside too--I find if you squish the TP roll and the paper towel roll they don't come unraveled in travelling.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:39 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I have the same towel holder Glenn pictures in post #5. I don't know it they are available in Canada since I couldn't find them on my Nova Scotia trip, but Viva brand towels kinda stick together enough that they rarely unroll.

Another advantage is one of the versions called "Choose a Size" has more perforations so that you can tear off a 1/2 size sheet rather than using a whole one for small needs. They are also one of the softest & most absorbent paper towels I've found.

If I'm stuck with another brand, I put a rubber band around the towel roll when traveling to keep it from unrolling.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
. Just have to remember to remove the paper towel and the TP when traveling or they will unravel.
Like Anna-Marie, we too just squish the rolls to make them ovate in shape. Paper still comes off fine when pulled, but no unravelling when in transit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soultrek View Post
Bingo, probably the only solution to the space I don't have. I like Glenn's rig but my 17B has a window there. Jim, the specs say it's designed for 7/8 thick doors; how does it work on our 3/4 thickness?
That one in the photo is not mine, but one very similar. I think ours has a bit of play, but it works just fine. I know we have a couple double hooks that hang this way that have a bit of foam padding on them.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-26-2013, 11:42 AM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
I put our holder on the left side of the door above the bench seat; it's out of the way, but still handy for the kitchen or a quick grab from outside. However, I believe that Escape now puts the fire extinguisher there.

Bruce
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:36 AM   #13

Trailer: 2012 19' Escape
thanks for all thr great ideas! Barry's concern is using the double sided tape .Have you had any problems with the tape buggering up the *wood * surface?

we are the Worth's and this is our little fort....Fort Worth
Janet W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:07 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet W View Post
thanks for all thr great ideas! Barry's concern is using the double sided tape .Have you had any problems with the tape buggering up the *wood * surface?
I would think it would be on there permanent. The vinyl veneer on the plywood would likely peel off if you were to try to remove it.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:15 AM   #15

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
I used regular hardware store quality double-backed tape to hold my paper towel holder too. If you heat the taped area with a hair dryer and then CAREFULLY and slowly pry it loose from the wall, you won't damage the 'oak.' If you used VHB tape, you better be happy where it is now because it's going to be there forever!
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:34 AM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: All... Maybe the ideal "Paper towel solution" is to not do anything that requires "The quicker pickerupper". What did we do before paper towels were invented?
I think I read somewhere that they began from a batch of too firm T.P. OUCH!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:11 PM   #17

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
As I am like Glenn and don't want holes, I got a magnetic one from Amazon. I put it initially on the side of the hood, but since the towels block the window a bit, I now have it stuck to the back side of the range cover (I don't use my stove top, I zap stuff.) It works for me there and doesn't move when I travel. I have the hooked utensil holder on order.
Amazon.com: Better Houseware 2406 Magnetic Paper Towel Holder, Stainless: Home & Kitchen
They have other magnetic ones as well.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:46 PM   #18

Trailer: None
Here's another idea. Use a small curtain tension rod in one of your cabinets, positioned close to the top (which is often wasted space anyway) and hang the paper towel roll on that. It's better illustrated here: Creative Paper Towel Storage | Alejandra.tv.

The other thing I like about this solution is that no rivets or other hardware are required.

Rosemary
Seamstress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:57 PM   #19

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Great idea and it is your first post! Welcome!

John
Old 07-27-2013, 08:39 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Welcome to our Escape world, Rosemary!! Cool idea, I like it.