Need mattress help - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2017, 12:26 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Need mattress help

I have pain and limited strength in my dominant hand/wrist/forearm. Making a bed is one of the most challenging things I do. We will be getting our 5.0 in December and have opted out of the standard mattress because we think we need a mattress with enough flexibility for me to turn up the corners to wrestle a fitted sheet on. We thought we had a foam mattress substitute but that one appears it has issues we may not want such as becoming misshapen. I contacted Casper and their customer service was less than helpful. First they told me their mattress could not be used in RVs and then said it would not flex, but I would be able to make the bed anyhow

It would appear the best solution would be to have Bruce make the bed like he does at home, but he has knee issues so crawling around the 5.0 to make a bed does not work for him.

I know there must be several of you resourceful and experienced folks that have solutions for us so please fire away!
Thank you,
Beth & Bruce
Old 09-21-2017, 12:48 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
We were considering upgrading the mattress, loving the replacement in our 19 WAY more than the original 5" thick foam ones.As it was only $150 credit to forego it, we decided to give it a go until we decided on another mattress. Well, for the most part we are quite happy with the stock mattress, and may get a thin topper for it, either latex foam or a regular convoluted topper.

The mattress is a bit awkward to get the fitted sheet on, but once one it stays put. A thick foam mattress like the Casper, or my preference the Leesa, is much stiffer and would be a bit more trouble to put the fitted sheet on.

The rest of the bedding just gets tossed into place as nicely as possible, not worrying too much on how it looks, just so long as we can get in and be cozy.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:49 PM   #3

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahuta View Post
I have pain and limited strength in my dominant hand/wrist/forearm. Making a bed is one of the most challenging things I do. We will be getting our 5.0 in December and have opted out of the standard mattress because we think we need a mattress with enough flexibility for me to turn up the corners to wrestle a fitted sheet on. We thought we had a foam mattress substitute but that one appears it has issues we may not want such as becoming misshapen. I contacted Casper and their customer service was less than helpful. First they told me their mattress could not be used in RVs and then said it would not flex, but I would be able to make the bed anyhow

It would appear the best solution would be to have Bruce make the bed like he does at home, but he has knee issues so crawling around the 5.0 to make a bed does not work for him.

I know there must be several of you resourceful and experienced folks that have solutions for us so please fire away!
Thank you,
Beth & Bruce
What about using a RV Super Bag?
You only put a sheet on the mattress once. And use the bag for under and upper. It comes with sheets that you can attach to the bag. The bag you can leave open, or zip up. Has a summer and winter side.
Very easy to clean and wash sheets this way, without making a bed.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:20 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
I don't recommend what I did!!!
I took the mattress credit and bought a 3" Tempurpedic mattress topper thinking it would be enough and also provide much more headroom. My 95Lb. wife thinks it is very comfortable (she could sleep on a rock fall) but on warm evenings I sink almost to the bottom. I then took a couple of 20+ year old Thermarest pads from the basement and slid them under the mattress. Better but still not good enough so I took a newer, thicker camping pad and put it under my side. Very comfortable but since all these things are nylon the mattress topper and pads slide around. I took two pool noodles, slid them on 1/2" pvc pipe and made a dam at the foot of the bed so nothing can slide out. (easy on the knees) When I camp alone it is very comfortable. The 3" pad is very easy to turn up the corners though and I have a mattress protector and fitted sheet on it.
I think I need a good 6" pad and I am looking. Also I keep reminding myself to measure to see if a Cal King mattress or pad will fit. It looks very close.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 03:53 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahuta View Post
I have pain and limited strength in my dominant hand/wrist/forearm. Making a bed is one of the most challenging things I do. We will be getting our 5.0 in December and have opted out of the standard mattress because we think we need a mattress with enough flexibility for me to turn up the corners to wrestle a fitted sheet on....
Thank you,
Beth & Bruce
That's exactly what Susan does making the bed in the 21.
I built the bed first using 5" base foam from a local auto upholsterer then put 2" of Memory Foam from Costco: https://www.costco.com/SleepBetter%E...100086015.html

Lastly I put 2.5 inches of Latex topper from Amazon-eLuxurySupply
100% Latex Mattress Topper - No Fillers - Reversible with 2 Firmnesses, Full XL

Also bought a zippered cover for it- Hygea Natural
Hygea Natural Mattress Cover or Box Spring Cover | Luxurious 100% Waterproof Mattress Protector - Dust Mite & Allergen Proof Mattress Encasement, XL Full

Putting on the fitted sheet with this mattress is very easy as you only need to put it onto the two top layers which easily flip up at the corners. The mattress is firm yet supple with the latex on top.

There is a lot to know about foam, if you are new to this you might start here:
pacific-foam-supply
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 04:08 PM   #6

That sounds like a great mattress Ross, close to what we did with the one for our 19 which was the best mattress I have slept on. Everything was near the same, 5" firm base, 3" medium center, with a 2 1/2" latex top. Not cheap, but oh so comfy, like sleeping on a cloud.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-21-2017, 04:35 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
We went a cheaper route in our 19 and are quite happy with the result. Picked up a Zinus 8" gel memory foam matttress from Amazon for under $200. Very comfortable, and about the same height as stock.

You can remove and wash the cover, and you can also round a couple corners with an electric knife to better fit the back corners of the trailer.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:49 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Memory foam is comfortable; we've got two in spare bedrooms. In an RV the one thing to consider is the fact that it will harden with cold temps whereas latex doesn't.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 05:04 PM   #9

I sleep warm and memory foam makes me sweat too much. This is where latex shines, though it is pricier.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:17 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I sleep warm and memory foam makes me sweat too much. This is where latex shines, though it is pricier.
I think the gel infusion and the perforations help alot. We don't feel hot or sweaty at all on this mattress, but we did with our first memory foam mattress years ago.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:19 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
With latex or similar added, sheets can be put around that and not the mattress, as mentioned. Yes, the latex really costs but it is so very nice.

Also, we use sheets that fit a bigger bed at home so less problem getting them on anyway. Never used them at home yet. Our trailer sheets are nicer than our home sheets! Some time the trailer sheets will be at home and I will be glad to have them there.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mattress