Needed Accessories for Trailer Pick-Up - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2014, 08:06 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkgman51 View Post
What things will I NEED to purchase ahead of time and have on hand when I pick up my trailer this spring?

Thanks for the input.
Gary
If you plan to dry camp on your way home you may need something to haul water and fill your tank. A collapsable 5 gallon water jug and a funnel or hand pump will be needed.

Something we forgot...
onetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:07 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
What you might consider is attaching a little spring clip to keep your sewer hose from snaking out of its storage pipe while on the road. That cover latch can easily un-pop. If it happens to you first thing you'll ask yourself is "why would anyone steal that?"
Old 02-09-2014, 08:21 PM   #23

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My slinky storage is a 4" PVC pipe with a threaded screw-on cap ( factory ). It doesn't come undone easily, which is why I have an adjustable jaw wrench to hand. No fear of losing the slinky.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:47 PM   #24

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape
Hope this isn't duplication but a lesson we learned (coming from the states) when we picked up our 19: 1) Similar items will be 20-30% more expensive at the Walmart in Chilliwack verus one in the states (eg: underbed storage bins $24 vs $17); 2) Items purchased in the Chilliwack Walmart (eg: padlocks) will not be returnable in a stateside Walmart (can't say for sure if this is true for everything). We would agree with the earlier advice to read the forum and stick with the basics at first.
lefttee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:13 AM   #25

Trailer: 21' Escape (June 2014)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I don't understand why I "need" the 90 degree coupler. I have nothing on the end of the slinky. It just goes in the sewer hole. I've heard no complaints from the contents of the black tank.
I don't remember which park it is, (possibly Yellowstone), that says that a donut or graduated end (as found on the 90 degree fitting), is required for the sites with sewer dumps. Probably to ensure a tight fitting and to reduce odors.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:16 AM   #26

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
I don't remember which park it is, (possibly Yellowstone), that says that a donut or graduated end (as found on the 90 degree fitting), is required for the sites with sewer dumps. Probably to ensure a tight fitting and to reduce odors.
Right. But, I'm thinking that's only an issue if you set up your sewer hose and leave it there for the duration of your stay.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:32 PM   #27

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
What you might consider is attaching a little spring clip to keep your sewer hose from snaking out of its storage pipe while on the road. That cover latch can easily un-pop. If it happens to you first thing you'll ask yourself is "why would anyone steal that?"
Myron,

Funny you mention that as it is exactly what happened to us, and I did think it was stolen in the drive.......finally logic prevailed and I discovered one end of the tube was open.
If you would like to see how escape installed our inverter and surge protector come on over

Dave
dave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:51 PM   #28

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I was thinking of your experience, Dave. Yes I went out and got clips for mine. Must check if I have your tp number ...great...would like to set up day and see your inverter.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:49 PM   #29

Trailer: 2012 17B
When driving a new trailer home, you will need a tire iron to check/tighten the lugs every few hundred miles. Plus if you are getting an Anderson hitch, you will need - oh, man, I don't know tool terminology- one of those critchet wrenches to go with the supplied fitting.
Sally P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:04 PM   #30

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
..., I'm thinking that's only an issue if you set up your sewer hose and leave it there for the duration of your stay.
Yes, I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally P View Post
When driving a new trailer home, you will need a tire iron to check/tighten the lugs every few hundred miles.
If you're actually going to do this, and the tow vehicle's tire-changing lug wrench (a tire iron is a different thing you don't need) doesn't fit the trailer nuts, I suggest a cross-type lug wrench (there even some which fold)... a lot easier to use if you ever actually need it (such as to change a flat) than the things usually supplied with vehicles for emergency use.

Another way to make it easy to apply enough torque for wheel nuts is a deep socket (in whatever the lug nut size is) and a flex handle... 1/2" drive to be a suitable size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally P View Post
Plus if you are getting an Anderson hitch, you will need - oh, man, I don't know tool terminology- one of those critchet wrenches to go with the supplied fitting.
The supplied fitting is a socket, and it is driven by a ratchet handle.

(All my examples in this post are at Canadian Tire because I know they have this stuff and it's easy to find, but these are common tools available at about a million stores.)
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:12 AM   #31
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I don't know if you've ever used the jack in your tug to change a tire, but you might want to see how high the throw is to determine if it would work on the trailer to change a tire. I know the one in my Ford truck won't! So, I carry an aluminum racing jack. YMMV
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:16 AM   #32

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Donna, with the tandem axle you can leave your jack at home, just ride the one axle up on some leveling blocks, the other axle becomes lifted.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:02 AM   #33

Good point about the tire-changing jack, Donna, but I still wouldn't put it on a "needed for pickup" list. Why?
  • Many people will never change a flat tire, because they do not feel able to handle the job (especially with trailer wheel nuts typically tighter than car wheel nuts) - it makes sense for them to carry a spare, but since a roadside assistance service will be putting it on, there's no need to have a jack with the trailer. The first trip (with brand new tires) could certainly be approached this way.
  • Without having the trailer, it might be difficult to choose the right jack, with the right saddle to fit the frame, and enough height. This seems like one of those things that one should choose with the trailer already in hand. I have an aluminum floor jack which I find convenient for working on my cars, but it would probably not be tall enough for some Escape models; I would be annoyed if I bought it in advance for the trailer and couldn't even use it.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:13 AM   #34

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Even if you don't carry the jack, there is a definite need to have a suitable lug nut wrench for your trailer wheels. In order to prevent wheels from loosening and potentially falling off your trailer, the lug nuts need to be checked and re-tightened at regular intervals. This is especially true if you have the optional aluminum wheels on your trailer. There was a woman on the Fiberglass RV forum a few months back that had an incident involving this particular issue.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:28 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Even if you don't carry the jack, there is a definite need to have a suitable lug nut wrench for your trailer wheels.
Sure, that was Sally's suggestion (post #29), too (for the same reason).

I still might not put it on the "needed for pickup" list, because there are various sizes of lug nuts... might as well buy one which fits once the trailer is hand. At the very least, find out what size is needed, or get one of those three-way or four-way wrenches which probably has the right size (for the trailer, if not for the tug).
Old 02-16-2014, 03:19 PM   #36

Trailer: 2014 19. Birthing date June 23
I will be adding a Brake Controller to my tow vehicle a Toy Tacoma with a towing package. I will be purchasing and getting installed a Tekonesha P3 B. C. I will be picking up my Escape @ a location more then a days drive from home. Will the TT. have a plug in for the break controller or is there something i will have to provide?
PAB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:56 PM   #37

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
It is connected to the trailer via the normal 7 pin trailer harness, nothing extra needed. You do have a 7 pin connector on the Taco right?
Old 02-16-2014, 03:57 PM   #38

Trailer: Escape
The brake controller installation procedure will depend on the year of your Tacoma.
Here is the procedure for a 2012 Tacoma.
Trailer Brake Controller Installation - 2012 Toyota Tacoma Video | etrailer.com
If you Tacoma was manufactured earlier contact Etrailer for advice.
Contact etrailer.com - 800-298-8924
Yes, the factory installed 7 way trailer connector will make a difference and will determine if a factory connector (plug and play) is avaliable.
http://www.etrailer.com/bc-2011_Toyota_Tacoma.htm
Old 07-06-2014, 10:42 PM   #39

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkgman51 View Post
I've been reading this forum for some time. Of all the advice available, one of the best suggestions for me was someone who, essentially, said, "wait till you get your trailer to see what you need".

While I intend to do that, when visiting folks who graciously showed us their trailers, some said Escape didn't supply some things they needed from day one (like a hitch locking device,...).

Given that we intend to do the pick-up/shake down kind of thing... What things will I NEED to purchase ahead of time and have on hand when I pick up my trailer this spring?

Thanks for the input.
Gary
Many good idea's Escape gave us the 15-30 adapter,bottle of chemical for black tank, sewer hose I did have them fill tanks though glad I did needed for heater and cooking taking 4 days to get home . I would bring some kind of lock for hitch . You can get things along the way or when you get home as needed. Lots of great idea's though . Safe trip home .
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 11:02 PM   #40
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
13/16 on the wheel nut size. I also pack a big can of Fix-A-Flat tire sealer in case I can't get to a safe spot to change a flat very quickly/safely.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote