Needed Accessories for Trailer Pick-Up - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2014, 11:07 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19 (TV: 2007 Chevy Tahoe)
Needed Accessories for Trailer Pick-Up

I've been reading this forum for some time. Of all the advice available, one of the best suggestions for me was someone who, essentially, said, "wait till you get your trailer to see what you need".

While I intend to do that, when visiting folks who graciously showed us their trailers, some said Escape didn't supply some things they needed from day one (like a hitch locking device,...).

Given that we intend to do the pick-up/shake down kind of thing... What things will I NEED to purchase ahead of time and have on hand when I pick up my trailer this spring?

Thanks for the input.
Gary
pkgman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:20 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
To eliminate delays on pickup, make sure your tow vehicle has a properly wired 7 pin connector with a working brake controller.

If you get the starter kit from Escape, they will pre-fill the propane tanks before you pick up. The kit also includes other essentials including rv toilet paper and wheel chocks.

Bring enough cooking pots, dishes, and bedding for your initial trip. You can purchase food after picking up the Escape. Escape can provide blocking to put under the corner stabilizers, but you may wish to bring more for levelling the wheels.

I would hold off on buying baskets and other customization until you are home and have a better feel for your needs.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:21 AM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I wouldn't put an anti-theft lock on a "needed" list, let alone a "needed on the day of pickup" list, but perhaps I'm too trusting.

There's a difference between "needed to pick up" and "needed to camp". Generally, to pick it up you need to be able to tow it safely; to camp it in you will likely need very different things. For instance:

Needed to Pick Up
  • hitch on tug
  • ball mount in hitch, of correct height
  • ball in mount, of correct size (2")
  • electrical receptacle on tug, wired at least for lights and brakes
  • brake controller
  • something to chock trailer wheels when unhitched
  • weight-distribution system - only if required to stay within tug's rated limits, such as rear axle load

Needed to Camp (some of which may be supplied by Escape - I don't know)
  • sewer hose
  • fresh water hose
  • bedding
  • whatever you need to cook and clean

I'm sure others can provide much better lists for "needed to camp", but keep in mind that this is about what is needed from day one and can't wait for any time at all living with the trailer.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:45 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
ETI has a kit with just about everything, including propane fill. fresh water hose, water pressure regulator, sewer hose, locks for the hitch, wheel chocks, look under the "Starter Kit"
Old 02-09-2014, 12:57 PM   #5

Trailer: not yet
Will your tow vehicle need extended mirrors?
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:03 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
Gary,
You have quit the drive back home. If your vacationing back home to Illinois from the pickup you will want and need everything it takes to enjoy your trip.
We were out and about for a month after pickup. Our vehicle was ready for tow and the bed was level full of the things we normally needed to be out camping. It is an exciting time in your life. I too would suggest waiting till you get home to start your modifications. It is human nature to get and take all the new furnishings and gadgets for your new trailer right off the bat. That can wait. One of the things that suprised us was the lack of towel racks in the bathroom of our new 5.0. Something I did add before arriving home. I say bring a lock. You just never know if some scumbag will try and make off with your new Escape while it's unhitched. When the time arrives, enjoy the trip. Think of it as a vacation.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:43 PM   #7

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Brian's list is good if you're just towing it home.

To camp, your trailer may need...
Black Tank Treatment solution
TP
Stinky Slinky with 90 degree end for the dump station, may need tools to put it together.
Rubber Gloves for the above, Purell
25' fresh water "white" hose, maybe 2
Pressure Regulator
Tire Iron or some such to retorque the wheel lugs
Levelers
Paper and pencil, to list all the stuff you find you need
I carry an 8"x8" block for the front jack
15-30 Amp adapter
If you are married, walkie talkies

Whatever you need to camp.

Do a walk around after you think you're hooked up to travel.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:34 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
There is a great list of "setup and maintenance" in files with a great picture. A longer list was posted that I downloaded before but I don't remember who posted it. A great 2 page list that should be placed in files. I didn't find it there. But maybe the person who posted it could submit it again.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:42 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I believe the Stinky Slinky comes with the trailer, but you won't be able to fit one with a 90 degree elbow into the storage tube ( unless that has changed ).
Old 02-09-2014, 05:53 PM   #10

Extensive lists are great, but I think the request was for:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkgman51 View Post
What things will I NEED to purchase ahead of time and have on hand when I pick up my trailer this spring?
Maybe people could skim through the full lists and pick out those items that should not wait for even the first Walmart stop on the inaugural trip. I don't think there will be many, especially if the starter kit is purchased from ETI.

I see that the Starter Kit is offered in the Options list for each Escape model, but I have not found a description of its contents, other than as mentioned in this thread by Dave and Jim.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I believe the Stinky Slinky comes with the trailer, but you won't be able to fit one with a 90 degree elbow into the storage tube ( unless that has changed ).
Good point, and one reason not to get stuff in advance that might not be right for the trailer.

There are 90 degree elbow fittings to go into campsite ports which use a bayonet fitting, so they can be mounted (no tools) on the hose when needed; example: EZ Coupler 90 Degrees Bayonet Fitting. This can be a good idea (I'm currently using something similar for my motorhome), but I don't think it qualifies for "needed at pickup" status.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:02 PM   #12

Trailer: No more Escape 21
Quote:
Also the 15-30 Amp adapter comes with the Escape.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:02 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Extensive lists are great, but I think the request was for:

Maybe people could skim through the full lists and pick out those items that should not wait for even the first Walmart stop on the inaugural trip. I don't think there will be many, especially if the starter kit is purchased from ETI.

I see that the Starter Kit is offered in the Options list for each Escape model, but I have not found a description of its contents, other than as mentioned in this thread by Dave and Jim.
In addition to rv toilet paper, wheel chocks and full propane tanks, I think the starter kit includes latex gloves, a bottle of black tank deodorant, a waterline pressure check valve, a 30A to 15A adapter, a freshwater hose, and possibly a few other items.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:29 PM   #14

I don't understand why I "need" the 90 degree coupler. I have nothing on the end of the slinky. It just goes in the sewer hole. I've heard no complaints from the contents of the black tank.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:08 PM   #15

Quote:
I don't understand why I "need" the 90 degree coupler. I have nothing on the end of the slinky. It just goes in the sewer hole. I've heard no complaints from the contents of the black tank.
Maybe you don't need it. To just dump, the plain hose end works, and that's all I have ever had on my Boler's sewer hose.

To stay hooked up to a sewer at a campsite, many campgrounds require a fitting which seals (to at least some extent) to the opening, to contain smells, and perhaps in some cases to keep rainwater from running into the sewer fitting. Those fittings are usually 90 degree elbows, because that makes sense for routing of the hose. A fitting which screws in to the common threaded female fitting means that dumping can be done by just pulling the valve handle - no need to hold or control the hose. I use these on our other RVs, which have spent months at a time hooked up in one place.

This dependence on how one uses the trailer is exactly why I would not include the elbow in necessities at time of pickup.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:19 PM   #16

Got it. I only get the slinky out at the end of my stay so I can dump. Find a rock to put on the hose end so it doesn't jump out.
People new to black tanks need to know that you should not be continuously dumping during your stay. You need to let the black tank get as full as possible and then dump. Otherwise, TP and sludge can cling to the sides ( where the sensors are ) and bottom of the tank.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:43 PM   #17

Here is a picture of one
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2014, 07:48 PM   #18

Also one may want to obtain a 90 degree clear extension to install between the trailer and you sewer line, that way one can monitor the process more clearly
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2014, 07:54 PM   #19

Is that what you watch when you don't have TV reception?
Old 02-09-2014, 08:02 PM   #20

you may get better entertainment…….