New 17B Escapes Cheaper Than Scamp 16'ers? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-27-2019, 02:07 PM   #1

Trailer: N/A
New 17B Escapes Cheaper Than Scamp 16'ers?

I have been watching the Canadian Exchange Rate the last couple of days, teetering from .73 -.74. Also noticed Escape is offering a $1k discount for certain build dates. I thought it would be interesting to build out (well equiped/not fully loaded/current rates/discount applied/exactly optioned as possible), both a Scamp 16' and Escape 17B. Both with Manual Awning and AC. Due to standard features, the Escape still appears slightly better equipped. We live only an hour from Backus, and really thought Scamp was direction we were heading due to cost and convenience. But it appears Escape is the better bargain, better built and optioned, and extra 1' in length. Can this math possibly be rite? Am I missing something?

2019 Scamp 16’ (w/Option Package)

Base Price - $18,195
Options: (w/10% Disc.)
AC- $720
Fan- $160
Pwr Hood- $75
Furnace- $380
Awning (Man.) $980
Upp. Cabinets $260
Step- $45
Sink (Bath)- $145
Plugs- $80
Tanks $110
-----
TOTAL= $21,150

2019 Escape 17B

Base Price - $19,381
Options: ($USD)
AC- $894
Plug- $36
-----
TOTAL= $20,311
XBeatzX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 02:30 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
After seeing a photo of a Parkliner on sale at a US RV show, I did some research on many US made fiberglass trailers and Escape was very reasonable in comparison.

Even some of the small trailers, by the time you add all the options of a 17a, the Escape is still a bigger trailer and a good value.

Attached Thumbnails
40C118DC-BFB7-48A8-A5DB-F10D3BB0BA71.jpeg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 05:49 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 B second generation 2016
The bed in the Escape is bigger too. The curve of the Scamp really takes a bite out of the back of the trailer. We started out thinking we would get a 16 deluxe Scamp to get their 54” bigger bed, but the difference in price and value made the Escape our choice.
No rivets! No regrets!
Old 04-28-2019, 08:33 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by XBeatzX View Post
I have been watching the Canadian Exchange Rate the last couple of days, teetering from .73 -.74. Also noticed Escape is offering a $1k discount for certain build dates. I thought it would be interesting to build out (well equiped/not fully loaded/current rates/discount applied/exactly optioned as possible), both a Scamp 16' and Escape 17B. Both with Manual Awning and AC. Due to standard features, the Escape still appears slightly better equipped. We live only an hour from Backus, and really thought Scamp was direction we were heading due to cost and convenience. But it appears Escape is the better bargain, better built and optioned, and extra 1' in length. Can this math possibly be rite? Am I missing something?

2019 Scamp 16’ (w/Option Package)

Base Price - $18,195
Options: (w/10% Disc.)
AC- $720
Fan- $160
Pwr Hood- $75
Furnace- $380
Awning (Man.) $980
Upp. Cabinets $260
Step- $45
Sink (Bath)- $145
Plugs- $80
Tanks $110
-----
TOTAL= $21,150

2019 Escape 17B

Base Price - $19,381
Options: ($USD)
AC- $894
Plug- $36
-----
TOTAL= $20,311
Some other items to consider before you purchase:

The Scamp comes with 13" tires - Escape has 15"

The standard configuration for the Scamp shows a 1.8 cu ft Ice Box. If so, then the propane fridge is at optional cost.

The standard list notes one, not two propane tanks. Dual is an option.

Escape 20 gallon fresh water tank vs 12 gallon on the Scamp. Where is it located? Underbelly or does it occupy interior space?

Stove cover included on the Escape.

Not clear on the WC options for the Scamp. Is a toilet provided on the shower package? To me, it looks like a Sani Potti. What is the grey water tank size?

Is the Scamp fiberglassed underneath or have they used a standard wood floor on metal frame construction?

Check out the overhead storage provided, even with the the additional cabinets on your build. How do they compare?

Curtains on the Scamp vs pull-down shades with valances on the Escape.

Paul
suncoastdancers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 09:42 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape 19 in 2019, Escape 15a in 2014, Scamp 13 in 2006
Thanks for posting this comparison. We have owned a Scamp and currently an Escape. Here’s my observation.

We live near the Escape facilities in Canada. In 2006 we wanted to be minimalists and were looking for a 13 foot fibreglass trailer. Escape was making 17 footers. We decided to order a new 13 foot Scamp. We drove to Minnesota to see the new, post fire, factory and pick up our trailer. We enjoyed it for a number of years.

We then upgraded to an Escape 15a. What a difference. We found the quality and finish to be superior in all ways in the Escape.

With your comparison of prices, the Escape would win hands down for me.

Not to mention that Escape is very clear on pricing, I found Scamp a bit more difficult to work with since there was nothing online. I’m not sure if that has changed.

Art
Windymountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 09:47 AM   #6

Trailer: Looking
Don't forget to factor in your pickup costs. The drive from Backus to Chilliwack is over 1,600 miles one-way. Google maps puts it at 26 hrs. One way to look at this is as a shakedown trip and a vacation.

Another is to view it as a series of costs. How many days will you take to make the drive out and how many vacation days will you use? How many hotels will you stop at? How much will you spend on food and fuel?

Traveling for the government, I am reimbursed about $.25/mi for driving, plus per diem. A 3,200 mile trip would come in at well over $1,000. You may be able to come in much lower by packing a cooler and sleeping in the truck (or trailer once you have it!), but however you cut it there's a "delivery fee."

Now, even if the Escape costs more, it could still be the better deal in the end. It's hard to put a price on happiness. Just remember to include the "delivery fee" in your final analysis.
Justus C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 09:58 AM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
One thing I'm absolutely certain about, it's not what you tow... it's that you GO! I own both a Scamp and a 5.0TA. I made a gazillion memories with the Scamp and now I'm working on making a gazillion memories with Ten Forward. I've noticed no difference in the level of fun between the two trailers. Comfort.. yes. Build quality between the two... yes! For instance, I have 28 thru the shell holes in the Scamp just to HANG curtain rods! None in an ETI build and every single one of those rivets/snap caps on the Scamp is a maintenance issue.

So which is better? Better for what and better for whom?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 10:02 AM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I made that long (and wonderful Idaho -OMG!) trip and counted the expense of it, of course. However, didn't consider it to be a delivery fee add-on. For me it was a Vacation Fee. (And ditto them insane Scamp curtain hanger rivets.)
Old 04-28-2019, 01:54 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Both trips from upstate NY to Chilliwack for trailers ( a 17 in 2011 and the 21 in 2017) turned into wonderful extended cross country trips, 111 days for the 17 and 270 days for the 21.

I highly recommend driving out to pick up the trailer over a delivery. Of course, the long trip only works if you are retired or self employed, or have a large number of vacation days built up. Because of of the unusual hours for theatre technicians, I generally had at least 40 vacation days & 14 holiday days available...