New 21 - Any examples of custom sinks please - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2018, 11:45 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21 Build due for May Completion - towed by 2018 F150 S/Crew 3.5L EcoBoost XLT/FX4 6.5 Box
New 21 - Any examples of custom sinks please

Hi,

We have a 21 build slot for 2019 and we have chosen the custom elements withe the exception of the sink. We wish to have a larger sink. ETi have given a couple of photos from folks who have taken this route i.e. Witoswki, Foster and McMorris but would be grateful for suggestions and/or photos and feedback on how they work for you, did you go for a mono tap with pull out faucet, etc. It would greatly help us close the final piece of the build jigsaw.

Thanks
AnglingMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:06 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
the water pressure and flow rate in an RV are quite a bit lower than a home system, so I'm not sure using home kitchen faucet fixtures would be very satisfactory.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:14 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
the water pressure and flow rate in an RV are quite a bit lower than a home system, so I'm not sure using home kitchen faucet fixtures would be very satisfactory.
While not a pull-out faucet, the one I purchased is for a home bar sink and it works just fine and as expected with no loss of water pressure. In fact, if it had too much more I would probably spray it all over the place.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:23 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I am sure you have thought of this...but...we like the smaller sink as we can use less water to fill it to a suitable level to wash dishes without having to use extreme amounts of water.
If you are not hooked up to unlimited water and sewer this could be a concern. An extra gallon or two every time you wash dishes adds up after a few days off the grid.
The factory tap and sink looks and works great.
All depends on your camping style.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:29 PM   #5

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i bought a slightly larger sink - deeper sink. I will look for the model. I think several have used the same sink mine is a composite stone dark grey color. I really like it. I did not like the stock sink in my old escape it was too small and shallow- water splashed everywhere - but I'm not very neat...
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:35 PM   #6

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
We are having a Houzer quartz sink installed in our 5.0TA that will be built next month - a number of other folks with 21's and 5.0TA's have used this sink and ETI said it works well. It is just shy of 16" square and comes in several colors. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 11-08-2018, 12:59 PM   #7

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
that's the same as my sink but mine is Dark grey- nice size. I've seen a few with sinks that look similar but are stainless too
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:32 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 21 2018 "Gypsy Cat"
Hello AnglingMad:

We used the same Houzer quartz sink that David mentions above. We were able to source it from the Canadian Wayfair site, which might be helpful to you if other online sources balk at sending to Canada or add an uncharge to cover brokerage fees. Here's a photo of the "Earth" color option in a 2018 E21:

Thanks!

-- Claude
Attached Thumbnails
GC Final Kitchenette.jpg  
MadCAT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:50 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
While not a pull-out faucet, the one I purchased is for a home bar sink and it works just fine and as expected with no loss of water pressure. In fact, if it had too much more I would probably spray it all over the place.
is that when you're on hookup ? I am mainly concerned with tank/pump use as I'm more often camping 'dry' than with hookups...
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:52 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
There's nothing special about RV plumbing fixtures, except that they are usually especially cheap and accidentally light (because they're often moulded plastic instead of cast metal).

RVs of all sizes tend to use comparable (and by that I mean exactly the same parts) plumbing systems - including pumps - and larger RVs normally use ordinary household fixtures, particularly for the kitchen faucet.

Pull-out faucets are usually awkward in RV cabinets because they often don't have enough clear space under the sink for the hose to hang as designed, but they're still a common choice. An alternative for those wanting a hose is to use the style which arches up through a spring.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:59 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
You guys missed out on the original Escape sinks, moulded plastic. The ss models hold up to rough use, these ceramic sinks may not....drop a hot cast iron skillet in the pictured one....
Old 11-08-2018, 02:17 PM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
is that when you're on hookup ? I am mainly concerned with tank/pump use as I'm more often camping 'dry' than with hookups...
Don't seem to remember any differences between hookups or tank. If there was, it wasn't much.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 03:42 PM   #13

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The ss models hold up to rough use, these ceramic sinks may not....drop a hot cast iron skillet in the pictured one....
I didn't see any reference to a ceramic sink, just stainless steel and "quartz" composite. The composite would presumably not be good with a dropped hot skillet, but then I wouldn't drop a hot skillet into any sink.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 05:05 PM   #14

Some further thoughts on the selection of sink material and design:

As Jim points out, these quartz composite sinks may not have the impact resistance of stainless steel: I've not found specific impact test results in a quick online search that would answer this.

Product specifications for this specific sink include:

"FEATURES
• 80% quartz
• 8-1/16" depth •Dual mount (Topmount or Undermount ) • Intrinsically hygienic Non-porous surface
• Natural, antibacterial hygiene protection system
• Silky to the touch, 3 times harder than natural granite
• Food-safe, UV-stable-will not fade
• Heat resistance to +500F
• Highest resistance to thermal shock, scratches and chips • Color-fast throughout"

It's unclear to me whether one would damage the surface if you placed a skillet hotter than 500F directly in the sink...

With a polite nod to those who prefer cast iron skillets for their heat conductance and other properties, our primary skillet is a non-stick coated, cast aluminum model weighing 718 grams (1 pound, 9.25 ounces) with a handle that does not conduct heat. The non-stick material for our model is durable, having withstood the high-heat, short-order cooking habits of our Grandpa who lived with us for eleven years... By the time it makes it from the range to the sink in the trailer, it has usually cooled substantially. Most of our dishwashing occurs outside using water in plastic bins and the gooseneck spigot connected to the exterior shower nicely described in previous threads on this forum. This arrangement permits use of distinct wash, rinse and sanitizing bins and the efficient use of water when boondocking.

Time will tell regarding the durability of this engineered quartz material, but it seems an option to consider, depending on how one uses the sink. The color options are certainly attractive. If impact resistance is a key consideration, stainless sinks have a long-term popularity. If you need to allow for possibly placing cookware >500F in the sink, stainless is likely the better choice.

We haven't found problems with either chipping or staining in our admittedly limited experience to date. Agree with the specifications sheet that it is a nonporous surface.

This size and design apparently remains one that ETI can accommodate in their production process.

We do like a sink that is deeper than the standard one... One should also be able to find an acceptable, deeper sink in stainless steel.

Send me a personal message if you want details on the skillet we use: I have no interest in promoting the brand commercially, but am glad to make a personal recommendation. As I said, it is "Grandpa-tested"

As Donna is fond of saying: Your mileage may vary...

Thanks, -- Claude
Old 11-08-2018, 06:51 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Just post the skillet information. No rules against expressing satisfaction with a product.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:24 PM   #16

The brand is Swiss Diamond, made in Switzerland
Old 11-08-2018, 09:29 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCAT3 View Post

Yup. I have a 10" Swiss Diamond. Haven't gone out of my way to wreck it and it's holding up fine. Takes a while to heat up, but good even heat.

Have several Calphalon 8" and 10". They aren't that durable, but even heat. Have a couple T-Fal Professional 12" which were recommended by America's Test Kitchen. The model line has been discontinued unfortunately. Price is right for a good product.
Just picked up a griddle for the BBQ. I think it's Rock non-slip on aluminum. I've had cast iron, but they were too heavy and all the oil ran off to the gutters. This one has collectors for the oil so you can spoon it back to the centre. Regular $99 at Canadian Tire. On sale for $29. Believe that, believe anything. Time will tell.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:42 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCAT3 View Post
Sounds like one my wife would buy for me. She claims that I destroy her pans with too much heat. To me, it ain't bacon unless it's sizzling.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:05 PM   #19

Grandpa destroyed several Calphalons before we happened upon Swiss Diamond at one of our locally owned shops… He was a bridge engineer from the western US, but doggedly denied any possibility of “operator error” [emoji3]
Old 11-08-2018, 11:03 PM   #20

My wife worked at a respected kitchen supply store where the chefs shop. I think she was given the Swiss pan as a Christmas bonus. I know we didn't spend $100 on a nonstick skillet.
She also claims I cook on too high a heat. I berate her for leaving our kitchen knives in the sink.
BTW. I highly recommend "Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat" on Netflix.

And this is the griddle:
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/h...3903p.html#srp