New awning in the rain - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2017, 09:09 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
New awning in the rain

Had a chance to try out the new power awning in a thunderstorm this weekend, heavy downpours and wind gusts (from the opposite side though) I retracted the awning halfway and it handled the rain without issue.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1449.jpg   IMG_1450.jpg   IMG_1455.jpg  
Old 08-07-2017, 09:15 AM   #2

Short video clip also
Old 08-07-2017, 09:32 AM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Awning

Hi Jim
Glad to hear your awning worked well for you. Hope you weren't besieged by rain all weekend. On the other hand, you got out and it's better than a tent any day.
Dave
Old 08-07-2017, 09:54 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Thanks Jim, the partial extension is what I had planned to try. Good to hear it works

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:16 PM   #5

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19, 2010 Palomino Y series prior
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Had a chance to try out the new power awning in a thunderstorm this weekend, heavy downpours and wind gusts (from the opposite side though) I retracted the awning halfway and it handled the rain without issue.
Thank you for posting this. How do you feel about this new style awning? it sure looks nicer without the vertical arms, especially since ive seen older escapes where they block windows.

I browsed some build photos, and pardon my ignorance as I am new here, but how much reinforcement is built in to the structure to support the weight of this awning? It strikes me as having lots of horizontal torsion put on the realatively narrow mounting surface of the trailer.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:11 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunfiddy View Post
Thank you for posting this. How do you feel about this new style awning? it sure looks nicer without the vertical arms, especially since ive seen older escapes where they block windows.

I browsed some build photos, and pardon my ignorance as I am new here, but how much reinforcement is built in to the structure to support the weight of this awning? It strikes me as having lots of horizontal torsion put on the realatively narrow mounting surface of the trailer.
So- there's form and then function. There are two options: The Dometic power awning and the Carefree manual. If I were ordering a new Escape the Carefree would be my choice hands down.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunfiddy View Post

I think that the recessed roof has a aluminum backing plate installed the entire exterior length that the awning is then attached to. Interior there are wooden plates that hold the backing plate.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:51 AM   #8

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
So- there's form and then function. There are two options: The Dometic power awning and the Carefree manual. If I were ordering a new Escape the Carefree would be my choice hands down.
I'd like to think that it's not an "either/or" thing, that both form AND function can be combined within one product. We have no complaints so far with either regarding our new Dometic awning.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:17 AM   #9

You're right; it's a matter of degree and some lean more towards function than form. No right or wrong just preference. Not much feedback from those with the manual Carefree. Would like to see some.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:33 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Looking over the Carefree in Chilliwack, the Dometic seems to be a better build. I would really need to see both side by side to make a proper judgement.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 11:04 AM   #11

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
Quote:
You're right; it's a matter of degree and some lean more towards function than form. No right or wrong just preference. Not much feedback from those with the manual Carefree. Would like to see some.
You asked for it.
We have a manual carefree on a 17.
We have a bunch of configurations that we use the awning in.
All to do with how much tilt we set the side arms to allow.
For shade and for rain to run off.

I like the idea of powered and automatic on the new ones but if I was ordering a new trailer the manual would be my choice.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:27 AM   #12

Am wondering about the manual Carefree with no arms attached to the side of the trailer used on Gen2 Escape.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:32 AM   #13

Trailer: Looking for 15b
Ours is the old style Carefree and I much preferred the Fiamma on our Casita. Visually much more appealing, easier to use, not exposed to the weather when rolled up causing dirt, black marks etc. Hopefully the new Carefree is an improvement.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 11:34 AM   #14

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
Quote:
Am wondering about the manual Carefree with no arms attached to the side of the trailer used on Gen2 Escape.
Sorry.

Really, no side arms but manual? like a crank or something to open it?

Pay no attention to me but I would be too short to reach the thing.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:01 PM   #15

I'm not aware of many Carefree owners, perhaps that is an indicator?
Old 08-11-2017, 12:01 PM   #16

This looks like the one Escape offers from Carefree- it uses a telescoping hand crank.
Freedom Roof Mount - Carefree of Colorado

Edit: would be good to know the ratio from ETI of the Dometic vs. Carefree. Maybe no news is good news?
Old 08-11-2017, 12:10 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
Manual Carefree Awning

Here you go...

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...pics-9859.html

I must say, I was impressed with the Dometic power awning. Well built, etc. However, I wanted the simplicity of the manual, i.e. no motors, sensors, etc since I boondock almost exclusively and simple works better for me. YMMV....
Old 08-18-2017, 09:11 AM   #18

Trailer: Escape 5.0TA (July 19, 2017)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Hi - when we recently went through orientation of our new 5.0TA, we were instructed to simply retract the awning part way and the rain would run right off. We had the chance to try the partial retraction method on our trip home and it worked great. We left the awning half way or a bit more extended and the rain ran off without collecting on the awning.
John
P.S. we really like the electronic awning (after first having reservations) simply because we use it way more than the traditional type manual awning that's pretty cumbersome to put out. The one advantage of the manual awning is that it can be adjusted downward for more protection against the setting sun.
We feel we'll utilize the awning a lot more because of the ease of use versus the more versatile, but cumbersome manual awning.
John and Joy
LatLongJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:02 AM   #19

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
This looks like the one Escape offers from Carefree- it uses a telescoping hand crank.
Freedom Roof Mount - Carefree of Colorado
Just to clarify based on pictures that were provided by avenas on his newer 17, the manual awning appears to be the Freedom WM (wall mount):

Freedom Wall Mount - Carefree of Colorado
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:41 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatLongJohn View Post
Hi - when we recently went through orientation of our new 5.0TA, we were instructed to simply retract the awning part way and the rain would run right off. We had the chance to try the partial retraction method on our trip home and it worked great. We left the awning half way or a bit more extended and the rain ran off without collecting on the awning.
John
P.S. we really like the electronic awning (after first having reservations) simply because we use it way more than the traditional type manual awning that's pretty cumbersome to put out. The one advantage of the manual awning is that it can be adjusted downward for more protection against the setting sun.
We feel we'll utilize the awning a lot more because of the ease of use versus the more versatile, but cumbersome manual awning.
John and Joy
these are exactly my observations as I mentioned, ease of operation is #1