New Escape 19 vs old specifications - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-13-2017, 08:25 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 with Toyota Highlander
New Escape 19 vs old specifications

I am interested in the 19 but only have a 2017 Highlander as a TV. From what I have read on the forum the 2017 model has increased in weight by about 500 lbs. I believe that the 19 up to then would have been in my tow range but the new one perhaps not. I cannot find the specs for the 2016 and older versions and wondered if anyone had them and could comment on the difference from a towing perspective?
sailnbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:35 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Tow rigs

Hi
I am assuming that your Hollander has the 5,000 lb. and 500 lb tongue weight tow rating? Several Escape owners are very successfully towing 21s with Highlander's. We have 16,000' miles towing our 21 and formerly our 2010 19. This season. The Highlander with tow package and weight distributing hitch will pull your new 19 very well than you. She's more than a mall crawler, much more. We will see you topping Wolf Creek pass and have a cold one in Pagosa Springs.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:23 AM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hi
I am assuming that your Hollander has the 5,000 lb. and 500 lb tongue weight tow rating? Several Escape owners are very successfully towing 21s with Highlander's. We have 16,000' miles towing our 21 and formerly our 2010 19. This season. The Highlander with tow package and weight distributing hitch will pull your new 19 very well than you. She's more than a mall crawler, much more. We will see you topping Wolf Creek pass and have a cold one in Pagosa Springs.
Iowa Dave
Doing Wolf Creek Pass 2 years ago we had semi lose it's breaks just in front of us in the wee hours, didn't turn out well when he hit the overlook. I felt the down side was harder then the up side, even without the skid marks and flashing lights. Wish you could get optional larger brakes.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:52 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
The pass

When we came lthrougj the Wolf Creek Pass the second time in 2016, they were cleaning up the debris from a load that went over the edge. I especially like the manually shiftable transmission on the Highlander for steep descents. Having good trailer brakes, properly adjusted with proper voltage for the conditions and the right gear on the tow vehicle really saves on the tow vehicle brakes and keeps them cooler in case you really need them. I mean really really need them.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 01:29 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Having owned a classic 19 and 21 and now the new style 19, I think the weight difference is closer to 300 lbs, max. The new 19 weighs closer to the old 21 but not as much as the new 21.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:03 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Doing Wolf Creek Pass 2 years ago we had semi lose it's breaks just in front of us in the wee hours, didn't turn out well when he hit the overlook. I felt the down side was harder then the up side, even without the skid marks and flashing lights. Wish you could get optional larger brakes.

If you're willing to go aftermarket and have a big piggy bank you have lots of options for upgraded calipers and rotors.
So far we have only been to Vermont and New Hampshire with our 5.0 TA and I've been impressed with both the brakes and the engine braking on the 2.7. Should I be thinking of a brake upgrade when heading west? Hopefully next year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 02:18 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
Should I be thinking of a brake upgrade when heading west?
We've toured all over the western US with a loaded 19 and the F150 with a 2.7L EcoBoost. Zero braking issues, no fade, even on steep grades.

Make sure to use tow/haul mode and keep your speed reasonable, but that goes for towing in general, not just the western mountains.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:25 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
We've toured all over the western US with a loaded 19 and the F150 with a 2.7L EcoBoost. Zero braking issues, no fade, even on steep grades.

Make sure to use tow/haul mode and keep your speed reasonable, but that goes for towing in general, not just the western mountains.

Definitely, so far been very happy with the F150/5.0 pairing. But so far have not hit the mountains out west.

Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 02:38 PM   #9

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
If you're willing to go aftermarket and have a big piggy bank you have lots of options for upgraded calipers and rotors.
So far we have only been to Vermont and New Hampshire with our 5.0 TA and I've been impressed with both the brakes and the engine braking on the 2.7. Should I be thinking of a brake upgrade when heading west? Hopefully next year.

No, us easterners just need to learn how to drive in the mts. before we encounter them, not afterward.

I tried finding upgraded brakes for my 7 lug wheels, no such animals. At least not 2 years ago when I looked.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:58 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
It is unlikely that there would be much selection of upgraded brake rotors and calipers for any of the vehicles used to tow travel trailers, for two reasons:
  • they're not a sports cars, and
  • there's no lack of braking capability.
In the case of the heavy-duty F-150's with 7-bolt hubs, my guess (although I haven't looked up all the specs) is that they already have larger brakes than the lower-GVWR variants of what is otherwise the same truck.

The stock brakes on most modern vehicles look like full-fledged racing parts from a few decades ago. If you use engine braking to maintain speed on descents, and set the trailer brake controller properly, the brakes will likely be fine for as long and as hard as you want to tow. It's pretty rare for a properly driven modern vehicle to fade the brakes on any public road (although they can certainly be melted down on a race track).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 04:59 PM   #11

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailnbike View Post
I am interested in the 19 but only have a 2017 Highlander as a TV. From what I have read on the forum the 2017 model has increased in weight by about 500 lbs. I believe that the 19 up to then would have been in my tow range but the new one perhaps not. I cannot find the specs for the 2016 and older versions and wondered if anyone had them and could comment on the difference from a towing perspective?
I tow a 2016 Escape 19 with a 2017 Tacoma and have no problem with mountain pass's. I think you have to not be in a hurry either going up or down. Watch your transmission temps and keep it in the power band going up and don't get going too fast and use your gears going down. See attached specs.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2016 Escape 19 Specs - 1st page.pdf (276.4 KB, 15 views)
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 05:12 PM   #12

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 with Toyota Highlander
Thanks for the old specs. The new one is 340 lbs heavier while essentially having the same tongue weight.
sailnbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 05:23 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
The specs on ETI's website for the 19 still have old axle and hitch weights - note that they add up to 2610 lbs which is the old dry weight.
Micheal K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 05:47 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I was close, missed it by 40#
Old 10-13-2017, 06:24 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
An aside. Judging by their television ads running recently, Nissans are driven by A-holes. Got one racing through a construction zone to pass a trailer, one I just saw had a Rogue racing through the streets and almost hit a pedestrian.
I hold a grudge. I still won't consider Jeep for ads showing driving through spawning beds at high speed.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:04 PM   #16

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I hold a grudge. I still won't consider Jeep for ads showing driving through spawning beds at high speed.
O my dear
Old 10-13-2017, 07:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
O my dear
There are other reasons for not owning a Jeep, according to Consumer Reports.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:20 PM   #18

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
There are other reasons for not owning a Jeep, according to Consumer Reports.
Good thing I am not Consumer Reports. They never asked me. But ours does consume.
But yeah, what do you do when in love?
Old 10-13-2017, 08:29 PM   #19

Quote:
I wish there was a ride out there that I could love.
Oh well, keeps me out of the showrooms, and the peeler bars.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:52 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
Good thing I am not Consumer Reports. They never asked me. But ours does consume.
You're not alone Marry. I've had 3 wranglers going back to my YJ. It had no ammenities drove like a tool shed on wheels and yet I look back on it more and more nostalgically. My current JKU has heated seats and power windows - feels somehow wrong.

I would look at something else if there was a competing 4x4 that had a removable top and doors but I'm not too optimistic on that front.
Micheal K is offline   Reply With Quote