Consolidated list to check upon pickup.... - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2018, 09:38 AM   #21

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
When we picked up our trailer we noticed some things that did not look Kosher to us but we were not sure ( trim missing / alignment issues ) Other problems did not show up immediately but a while later ( Leaks / Bad wiring / poor cabinet construction / broken framing / Etc )
I think it’s a sad commentary when it becomes necessary for the customer to spend a whole day inspecting the trailer upon pickup . To my way of thinking that task should have been completed before orientation / customer pickup
I'm confused. I thought you said in an earlier thread you bought the trailer used? If you did purchase direct from ETI was it as-is or did it come with a full factory warranty?
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:41 AM   #22

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Jim , since this is your 4th or 5th new Escape , I believe you are a at a distinct advantage over the usual Escape customer . You know where a lot of the gremlins are hidden
When we picked up our trailer we noticed some things that did not look Kosher to us but we were not sure ( trim missing / alignment issues ) Other problems did not show up immediately but a while later ( Leaks / Bad wiring / poor cabinet construction / broken framing / Etc )
I think it’s a sad commentary when it becomes necessary for the customer to spend a whole day inspecting the trailer upon pickup . To my way of thinking that task should have been completed before orientation / customer pickup
My other question is that these issues are well known on this forum so why isn’t ETI aware of them . Bad electrical splices come to mind . I’ve already had to repair 3 on my 2018 , 21 ft
These defects are impossible to catch on the day of pickup while performing a cursory inspection

( They need to crimp the copper conductor and not the plastic insulation —- It’s not that difficult ! )

Just my opinion
Steve D
While I agree that Escape is experiencing growing pains, errors/mistakes happen all the time. My first Escape had the lock issue/problem which was fixed by ETI. My second Escape had a loose a/c unit which I looked for in my 3rd unit. As far as wiring, everything worked so whether the crimps were not correct, they still worked. I know Escape reads these posts and I'm sure they are incorporating better quality control so, being the eternal optimist, I'm hoping for a trouble free unit.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:45 AM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
I think it’s a sad commentary when it becomes necessary for the customer to spend a whole day inspecting the trailer upon pickup .
That's just it. In my opinion it is not necessary, and the issues are being blown out of proportion. The problem is when one person has an issue with something not quite right (yes, it happens), many then think that this will happen to them. Escape QC is not perfect, but it certainly does catch the vast majority of things, and most trailers end up with only minor issues if any.

At orientation, I went through a couple things new to me on our 5.0TA, grabbed the trailer and ran. I did run into a couple wee things that took me minutes to correct, but that's all. I had a loose screw type water fitting and I found a couple wee pit marks in the gelcoat. Actually, the latter has not been fixed yet.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:46 AM   #24

I can say this, Escape no longer will move items but instead forces you to duplicate the item elsewhere. So one needs to plan ahead for 120v and 12v outlets vs removing an existing outlet. Escape is using those new type outlets that are very hard to work without the proper tools. Remember they used to produce one unit a day, now they are up to 2 units/day so economies of scale are in effect.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:11 AM   #25

Trailer: 2018 ESCAPE19
Good news - not only was our trailer perfect over 5 weeks continuous use (except for the furnace intermittently failing after 3 days) - but Escape staff seem to learn from any mistakes as I looked to make sure the kitchen sink was secure in it's spot and they knew about the one guy's whose wasn't.
Tam2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:21 AM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam2004 View Post
Good news - not only was our trailer perfect over 5 weeks continuous use (except for the furnace intermittently failing after 3 days) - but Escape staff seem to learn from any mistakes as I looked to make sure the kitchen sink was secure in it's spot and they knew about the one guy's whose wasn't.
This is good to hear, as it is something folks don't tend to report. We usually only hear why something goes wrong. This kinda thing is true with most products though, especially with reviews.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:49 AM   #27

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Mark me down in the "My trailer's been perfect" column. Oh wait, my second day out I had no electrical power anywhere. Totally in panic mode, then I read the manual (I think) and found the battery cut off switch under the table got accidentally knee'd to off.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:01 AM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Escape Quality

I grew up in Elkhart County, Indiana and spent several summers working in trailer factories. There is NO comparison between Escape quality and most other RVs.

Was ours perfect? No, there were a few minor problems. And the Dometic 8555 refrigerator disaster - which is NOT an Escape problem.

AND Escape listens to and learns from their customers. AND they make running improvements, not just annual changes. If you really want to have some fun (NOT!) go buy one of the mass produced RVs. If I ever buy another trailer, it will be an Escape.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 03:10 PM   #29

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Drawing

No, I get the Prevost, everyone else gets Escapes and TVs. Jim gets what’s left and lifetime supply of Scrapple. He’s got roots and will continue to dance with the one that brought him. him.
Iowa Dave
Old 10-23-2018, 08:27 AM   #30

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
I would consider asking if the propane regulator is adjusted to maintain proper pressure of 11" w.c. with ~50% BTU load running and maybe even seeing if they would take the time to show you. Or take your own manometer and be prepared to check it yourself at your first stop. I'd hate to be 3,000 miles from home and have something so simple give me grief. At least one owner reported it being quite low right out of the factory...

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...tml#post261381
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 08:23 AM   #31

Two more recent items to check for on pick up,....
13. lp regulator properly adjusted
14. new led lights with replaceable bulbs
Old 10-28-2018, 08:30 AM   #32

New comprehensive list....

1. The hot water by pass valve installation, it is correct?
2. turn on water pump and check for leaks at the outside shower connections?
3. windows, are they properly sealed and the panes appear to be sealed-remember to not tighten too hard when closing?
4. remote for the power awning and proper wrench to manual retract?
5. high wind sensor on awning operation?
6. furnace operation?
7. refrigerator operation?
8. solar set to wet cells and single battery?
9. all lights operating, in and out?
10.check the door operation for rubbing?
11. make sure the step is mounted level
12. check the bath faucet and floor drain caulk
13. lp regulator properly adjusted
14. new led lights with replaceable bulbs
Old 10-28-2018, 01:09 PM   #33

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Our Escape had a few minor issues when we picked it up in 2015, but I learned it was constructed during a period when a lot of ETI’s workers were sick and some people had to do jobs they weren’t as familiar with as their normal jobs. The kitchen sink had been installed with a washer in the wrong position and the sink had not been sealed around its perimeter. Also, we had several stripped screws, including one that caused our hot water tank hatch to come loose. We had many more problems than this with our new Nash trailer in 2002. (Brake wire in hub of 1 wheel was broken inside but no damage to the insulation: only had 3 braking wheels; many screws not positioned accurately, causing loose shelves and loose hardware; plus much more).

I don’t expect that any trailer will be problem free on delivery. I only hope there will be no issues. Realistically you can’t expect perfection when you ask a manufacturing crew to do multiple tasks PLUS cover for each other when there is illness or injury. In supervising staff in our biochemistry lab I faced similar challenges with training and quality assurance. I second JAMMAN’s comment "Escape listens to and learns from their customers. AND they make running improvements, not just annual changes.” My beef about the lost drawer space when they had to move the Escape 21 furnace (smaller unit no longer made by Dometic) prompted Reace to redesign the cupboard to give back one of the two drawers. Even though the Escape has a lot of storage, my wife is vertically challenged and drawers are far more accessible to her than the overhead space. I was amazed at Reace's quick response.

So, knowing that you might have issues, even with a new Escape, if I were picking up a new trailer from ETI (or any other manufacturer) I would try to check out the essential systems by actually camping a day or two in the area before towing it any great distance home. This may not be possible for some, but I would try to plan for it. And having a list of recent issues people have encountered is a great idea, but only if recent. It wouldn’t be worthwhile keeping a list of all the issues that have cropped up in Escapes over the years and trying to check them all out when you pick up your new baby. Escape does fix these issues promptly when notified, certainly if there are reports of multiple cases of an issue.

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 01:15 PM   #34

Trailer: 2023 21
I just picked my 19 up on Monday. Two things have surfaced so far.
1. The cupboard door above the refrigerator is installed to high, and hits the knob on the bottom of the air conditioner.
2. There is a leak in the cupboard below the refrigerator. I have used the refrigerator , so maybe condensation. I also drove through heavy rain.
It's not water system related, as I have not used it yet.
Traverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 01:31 PM   #35

Trailer: 2017 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traverson View Post
2. There is a leak in the cupboard below the refrigerator. I have used the refrigerator , so maybe condensation. I also drove through heavy rain.
It's not water system related, as I have not used it yet.
I'd check out this thread http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...-fix-9985.html. We had water in the cupboard below the refrigerator and with the fixes it doesn't leak now.
TallyHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 01:41 AM   #36

We purchased our Escape in 2008’ and have found nothing wrong, we handed in our do list, and it was filled.
Our trailer has been up and down the Alaska Highway ten times, it has been around the state of Alaska.
We have pulled it over the mountains in the Yukon, and BC. As well as through Alberta.
My only complaint, was the night in a rainstorm, on the streets of Fairbanks Alaska, the drain hose holder fell off under the trailer.
To make my life simpler, I installed I installed scissors lifts under the trailer, leveling now takes five minutes.
I have also modified the dinette table, it is now stable, and easy to move if required.
You will always find things, you wish you had, and with some ingenuity, make modifications to satisfy the need. That is the reason for this forum.
But you cannot say you did not get what you paid for.
Today I installed a radiant heater to prevent the winter damps.
The heater is manual or remote controlled, runs very quiet. When looking at it and realizing how guest it is, my first thought was how can I make this permanent, to save propane when in a campground with power hook up.
I got what we purchased, now with some thought, I make it my own.
Doug
Yukon Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 01:49 AM   #37

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

I see this thread as a compilation of every problem that any owner has ever had.
Nothing wrong with running through the systems during orientation. That might help fix in your memory how things work.

"The main thing is not to get excited" - Alex Thompson
Old 10-30-2018, 05:57 AM   #38

Doug, please post more info on your electric heater and yes Glenn, the list can be shortened to just recent issues and consolidated...later.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:50 AM   #39

Trailer: 2023 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post

I see this thread as a compilation of every problem that any owner has ever had.
Nothing wrong with running through the systems during orientation. That might help fix in your memory how things work.

"The main thing is not to get excited" - Alex Thompson
As a bit of a side note. Orientation has changed. It used to be one on one in the trailer, now it's done as a group, in a room that has all the components mounted on the wall.
Traverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 07:50 AM   #40

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I would check if the tires are inflated properly and that the lug nuts are torqued properly .
I would also make sure both propane tanks are full to avoid having to reorder prematurely.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote