New Windows and Insulation - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2016, 06:32 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
New Windows and Insulation

Had a chance to visit Escape for some work and wanted a close up of the new windows and the "new" insulation. The next several posts cover a couple of observations.
One, the windows, intrude much less into the interior. The old windows come in about 1.5 inches, the new ones about .75.
Two, when opened fully, the air access is quite large. Also we took these pictures in pouring rain and I opened the window all the way. No rain inside! Yea!
Three, the windows cover all of the framing material on the outside AND there is a rubber gasket that window seals against creating a good thermal break between the glass and aluminum frame. (I believe these will be a much better insulator than the older windows which I documented with thermal imaging as being great conduits for infiltration of cold/heat.)
Four, a picture of the rear window with the divider.
Five, the "new" insulation is a 1/2 inch white foam material I have seen used as packing material. It is closed cell and has no reflective coating. I took a picture of the foam inside the bench area under a dinette seat.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4830.jpg   IMG_4832.jpg   IMG_4833.jpg   IMG_4835.jpg  
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 06:35 PM   #2

Additional window pictures

Pictures added of open windows, outside window coverage and the gasket. Additional picture of the new insulation under the dinette bench.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4836.jpg   IMG_4840.jpg   IMG_4842.jpg   IMG_4837.jpg  
Old 06-22-2016, 06:37 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Thanks Tim and Julie, great info to know. So the build pictures in the other thread, like yours, do show the new insulation over the wheel wells. It would seem it would also make the trailer much more quiet than the old style insulation.
Old 06-22-2016, 06:38 PM   #4

Are you thinking of upgrading because of these new features?
Old 06-22-2016, 06:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Are you thinking of upgrading because of these new features?
Not at this point. Just wanted others to know that I think these changes are great and worth the extra costs as I believe they will go far to alleviating some of the annoyances that have existed, e.g. trying to have a slider window open in the rain for ventilation; window frames that transfer heat/cold to the inside. Although there is no reflective barrier on the new foam, it will most likely do more than the Reflectix did.
Old 06-22-2016, 06:50 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
Although there is no reflective barrier on the new foam, it will most likely do more than the Reflectix did.

That's likely true. In speaking to Reace he said the new insulation was more than twice the R factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-22-2016, 07:13 PM   #7

Trailer: 2011 Escape 15a
Quote:
Not at this point. Just wanted others to know that I think these changes are great and worth the extra costs as I believe they will go far to alleviating some of the annoyances that have existed, .......
Techfan: if you decide to part with your 15b and get a shiny new 17b, please reach out to us, as we are looking for a 15.

Thanks for the report, I always enjoy looking at the photos everybody posts.

Thanks
Pat
Lv4toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 07:24 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I too was very impressed with the windows when I checked them out at the rally. Most of my observations you covered. They look great too.

I had mentioned it in another thread, but one thing Reace told me that he was pleasantly surprised how much of a better sound insulation it provides too. He said inside of the trailer with just the insulation in place was noticeably quieter than with the Reflectix.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 07:30 PM   #9

Going to make those nap breaks along the highways a little easier to have.
Old 06-22-2016, 10:27 PM   #10

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Going to make those nap breaks along the highways a little easier to have.
Good thing we only sleep at night. Great info on the new trailers though!!!
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 03:20 AM   #11

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Quote:
Pictures added of open windows, outside window coverage and the gasket. Additional picture of the new insulation under the dinette bench.
That foam looks to like a product called ethafoam ..... I think it is made from polyethalene. I have used it to insulate boats and have liked it.

Tom
Old 06-23-2016, 08:10 AM   #12

Trailer: 17
Appreciate all the info and sharing your photos TechFan. Those are nice upgrades
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:01 AM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I too was very impressed with the windows when I checked them out at the rally. Most of my observations you covered. They look great too.

I had mentioned it in another thread, but one thing Reace told me that he was pleasantly surprised how much of a better sound insulation it provides too. He said inside of the trailer with just the insulation in place was noticeably quieter than with the Reflectix.
I am a bit curious about the sound insulation. It could be that my misspent youth is catching up with me and I don't hear as well as I used to, but our trailer always seems pretty quiet, even when we are in crowded campgrounds. Often we have the windows open so the sound insulation qualities are moot.

All that said, I think better insulation would be a good thing, and if we weren't so happy with our current trailer, I would definitely go for the insulation.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:14 AM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
In the campground we were in last week, it was full up and a younger quite robust crowd. When the windows were open at night you could hear quite a bit of rowdy campsites, but when the windows were closed, nothing. Better insulation will always help in some areas, but I'm not sure it will be that noticeable and if the windows are open won't be any difference.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:32 AM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
In the campground we were in last week, it was full up and a younger quite robust crowd. When the windows were open at night you could hear quite a bit of rowdy campsites, but when the windows were closed, nothing. Better insulation will always help in some areas, but I'm not sure it will be that noticeable and if the windows are open won't be any difference.
And there's still those roof vents....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 12:05 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
I am a bit curious about the sound insulation.
I would hesitate to call it sound insulation. When you see foam insulation used in sound shield materials its' function is that of a decoupling layer, that is, it holds a material with more mass away from the structure. By itself the foam has little sound shielding ability.

With thermal glazed windows, as Donna points out, the weakest point for sound intrusion would be the thin plastic vents and any air gap such as around the door. Think car window not quite closed at highway speeds.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:20 AM   #17

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Our 2015 Escape 21 is already much quieter than our previous stick built trailer. We have Reflectix and double paned windows, but it is likely the windows that cut the sound most. We can't hear instructions yelled from inside while one of us is outside or vice versa. Also we can barely hear the generator running while it is charging the trailer and boat batteries. If the new trailers are even quieter, then WOW, I am impressed.
BTW, we aren't in need of hearing aids other than myself, who might benefit from one that amplifies the wife's requests selectively.

Bob K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:29 AM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Bob, your point regarding the dual glazed windows is a good one. The sound transmission is way less than a single glazed unit. We do a lot of triple glazing with windows here, which drastically cuts sound even more, and windows allow more sounds transmission than walls so this makes homes a lot quieter.

In reflection, Reace's comment to me actually referred to sound absorption while inside, though I imagine that directly relates to sound transmission as well.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 11:29 AM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 aka "Bon Temps"
Great pics and post about the next gen trailers and various improvements, esp the insulation and windows. Somehow I missed this thread. Worth a look for those working on there build sheet and trying to decide whether or not to go with the frameless thermal windows versus the old style thermal windows. Seems like they will definitely be worth the extra cost. Paying a little extra upfront will pay dividends later. At least thats what I got out it.
Mike & Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 11:35 AM   #20

Another vote for the new style windows, it seems there are no more dreaded "Black" streaks one has with the conventional windows after exposure to the elements. Recent picture
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0878.jpg