Newbie - buy new or used? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2014, 10:41 AM   #1

Trailer: 2007 FJ Cruiser - Deposit on 2014 19' October 2014 Delivery
Newbie - buy new or used?

I thought I could get some opinions/thoughts from Escape owners with experience. The word "experience" is the key word in this question.

My camping experience is extensive backpacking the Cascades and tent camping. I know rv systems from the short time I owned a Class C this past year (sold it). I haven't towed a trailer nor camped in one.

My plans are to travel fulltime and returning to my house in April 2015 if I do not decide to sell it before I leave.

I have put a deposit down on a new Escape 19' with a build sheet due August 1, 2014. I'm not really having 2nd thoughts on that deposit but the question still lingers, as it has since my researching of rigs/trailers.

As a newbie in the trailer camping experience, would it be best to buy used and small enough to fit my needs and then move up to a bigger trailer or a NEWER trailer once I get the experience of towing a trailer, living in a trailer, and/or finding out of the lifestyle is what I want, etc ??

Or do it as I plan so far, to buy a new trailer as my first ever, with my own factory installed modifications and hit the road?

All opinions are welcome including the "you're crazy" ones.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:00 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21--FOR SALE
We opted for the second option you describe: " . . . to buy a new trailer as my first ever, with my own factory installed modifications and hit the road"

Here's why:
1. Escapes hold their value, and there's not much of a discount for a used one compared to new;
2. With Escape's "constant improvement" design and manufacturing process, new units have some obvious and some unannounced upgrades older ones don't have;
3. A trailer is a very personal space and, without going all OCD, a new unit gives you a blank canvas;
4. I don't know your age, but as seniors our attitude toward new experiences is "do it now, full bore, because there are no guarantees regarding health";
5. Chances are you'll use and enjoy a trailer more if it's roomier and has the options you want;
6. Selling and trading up costs you time, energy, and money;
7. As the miles and months add up, you'll know that all the systems in your trailer are being properly maintained--by you.

And, since your opinion agrees with mine, you're definitely not crazy! Enjoy the design process, and many great camping experiences.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catchlight View Post
And, since your opinion agrees with mine, you're definitely not crazy! Enjoy the design process, and many great camping experiences.
Great points and really along the same lines of thought when I told my friend just last week on why I was buying a new one without any trailer experience.

I agree that buying used or smaller and then moving up later to what you really want is not cost effective. I have living proof of that in my past car/suv purchases.

I just turned 62 and retired this past April 2014.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:51 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
I bought a new one because at my age (66) I felt I knew what I wanted in a trailer and this was to be my first and last one. Had I been younger or still had family at home, I would have seriously given thought to a used one because camping styles and needs can change. But I'm all set so I'm good to go...
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 12:50 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'
Quote:
We opted for the second option you describe: " . . . to buy a new trailer as my first ever, with my own factory installed modifications and hit the road"

Here's why:
1. Escapes hold their value, and there's not much of a discount for a used one compared to new;
I agree with the comments above. We looked around and decided that we definitely wanted an Escape. Given that there are very few used units and they hold their value, we ordered a new one. This is our first RV and we are taking the leap!
ATHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 01:13 PM   #6

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
After many years backpacking then car camping with the kids, we bought our current small hybrid after they were off on their own. After 8 years we've decided on the size that suits us (hybrid and the new TA re the same size), the options, and layout that will work. Once the TA plans were announced we jumped on it as it fits.

As you have no experience with a trailer so you may well find the size needs to be tweaked as well as the components and layout that suit you. If you could find a used 19 in the area for a decent price, I'd suggest that route. Less to lose if you change your mind, which is very common. I was told once that the average rv owner trades in every 2-3 years. While the Escapes do indeed hold their value, they still depreciate, a new one more then a used.

Either way you go, if you do sell it in a few years, it's not a huge difference.

Don't know how it is in Indiana, but finding a used Escape on the East coast is next to impossible. If you want one chances are you'd have to drive half way cross the country to either look at it or to pick it up. It's easier to go new, just costs a bit more.
Old 05-31-2014, 01:15 PM   #7

Trailer: Looking for 15b
At the price that used ones are listed for this year I would definitely go new and get it the way you want
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
I bought a new one because at my age (66) I felt I knew what I wanted in a trailer and this was to be my first and last one.
Karen, that is something I had not thought of, but very true. The trailer I looked at on the referral was fantastic and I didn't see any reasons that I would ever change trailers after the Escape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHiker View Post
I agree with the comments above. We looked around and decided that we definitely wanted an Escape. Given that there are very few used units and they hold their value, we ordered a new one. This is our first RV and we are taking the leap!
That is a very good point and one that I had thought about. Most of the used units for sale are a minimum of a 10 hour one way drive from me and in some cases the prices are only a few thousand dollars difference from a new one. After adding in transportation costs to and from for picking up the used trailer and still making modifications for missing things I would need, the new one seemed logical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Don't know how it is in Indiana, but finding a used Escape on the East coast is next to impossible. If you want one chances are you'd have to drive half way cross the country to either look at it or to pick it up. It's easier to go new, just costs a bit more.
It is the same in Indiana. I spent months prior to deciding to send a deposit in on a new one, looking at used ones. Most of them are a good 500 miles west of Indiana or further. After adding in transportation costs, the ability to have your own modifications/options done at the factory....a new trailer seemed like the logical choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenaigirl View Post
At the price that used ones are listed for this year I would definitely go new and get it the way you want
That's exactly one of the thoughts I had in my decision making process.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm glad to see I was thinking the same as many of you when deciding what to do. Plus I'm motivated to get out of Indiana by October 2014 before the winter weather hits. My October 14, 2014 new trailer pickup date will work with my schedule perfectly.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:53 AM   #9

Dave, I'm just about to install the Scangauge II in my 2011 4Runner. Would you happen to know if those codes are generic to Toyota V6 engines of that vintage, or if they are specific to different vehicle models. Thanks.
Brent.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:46 AM   #10

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
The web site Toyota/Lexus/Scion Specific : Linear Logic : Home of the ScanGauge makes them look generic for 2010+ Toyota's.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:00 AM   #11

Oops. I had two Escape Forum windows open (what a keener!) and posted the Scangauge question to the wrong one. Thanks for the link, padlin.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:02 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Dave, I'm just about to install the Scangauge II in my 2011 4Runner. Would you happen to know if those codes are generic to Toyota V6 engines of that vintage, or if they are specific to different vehicle models. Thanks.
Brent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
The web site Toyota/Lexus/Scion Specific : Linear Logic : Home of the ScanGauge makes them look generic for 2010+ Toyota's.
I just went through the process of programming my new Scangauge II to display Transmission Fluid temperatures for my 2011 FJ Cruiser. Not sure whether the codes would be the same for the 4Runner, but if you already have the Scangauge, it would be simple to try them out. I found that one of the codes as listed on the above noted website did not work for my FJ. I have noted the "corrected" codes on my earlier post today (http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...html#post54361).

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:12 AM   #13

Thanks, Dave. Glad to hear the device is working well for you. Sure nice to know for sure that your transmission is not overheating as you climb up a mountain pass.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Oops. I had two Escape Forum windows open (what a keener!) and posted the Scangauge question to the wrong one. Thanks for the link, padlin.
You can get a lot of info here Toyota Tacoma Forums - Tacoma World if you have a Tacoma I have a 2011 too the codes from Scangauges site work . Now if they could find the one for oil pressure I would be happy.

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote