Newbie Camping Gear List - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-15-2015, 06:46 PM   #61

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
For those contemplating the bottle jack and with the foam insulation option I believe the frame is not visible , so the wheel lift way Donna demonstrated needs to be considered.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:58 PM   #62

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Thanks Ron, Byran and Bill

I've watched an old retired guy (one of which I will be in a year or so - I hope) waxing his trailer. It seemed like a big job and I'm attracted to a power tool that will make things easier, even if there are things I'll have to do by hand.

I'd seen youtube clips that warn about damaging the fiberglass with power tools so I'm glad to read Bill and Bryan's advice. I think we'll go with the tool (Porter Cable 7424XP Dual-Action Polisher) Bryan recommends. It gets high reviews on the Canada Tire website.

I like that Bryan says it is pretty foolproof. And since before reading Bill's post I didn't know about rotary or orbital polishers I should stick with idiot proof as much as possible.

Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 07:09 PM   #63

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
For those contemplating the bottle jack and with the foam insulation option I believe the frame is not visible , so the wheel lift way Donna demonstrated needs to be considered.
I had requested a return to Amazon for mine due a comment a tech at Dexter made when trying to solve my brake lock-up issue but upon further research am keeping it. Have used it and it is easy; just don't roll over it if ramping the front wheel as it might get stuck between the wheels.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 07:52 PM   #64
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
I learned to take out my stinger/ball immediately after putting a gold-ball sized dent under the drivers door handle of a short Mercedes car I didn't see in my rear view mirrors. Drivers latch no longer worked. $3900 in repairs later it did.

Now if not hauling Felicity it's locked in the bed.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 12:49 PM   #65
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandLiz View Post
Thanks Ron, Byran and Bill

I've watched an old retired guy (one of which I will be in a year or so - I hope) waxing his trailer. It seemed like a big job and I'm attracted to a power tool that will make things easier, even if there are things I'll have to do by hand.

I'd seen youtube clips that warn about damaging the fiberglass with power tools so I'm glad to read Bill and Bryan's advice. I think we'll go with the tool (Porter Cable 7424XP Dual-Action Polisher) Bryan recommends. It gets high reviews on the Canada Tire website.

I like that Bryan says it is pretty foolproof. And since before reading Bill's post I didn't know about rotary or orbital polishers I should stick with idiot proof as much as possible.

Larry
You're welcome Larry. The Porter Cable polisher is a great tool for idiots like me.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:50 AM   #66

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I never used it on my horse trailer but bought some white lithium grease for my escape it makes hitching and unhitching easyer sometimes the ball would catch on the hitch but not with the grease.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 02:55 AM   #67

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
There is a guy in town that will wax my escape he said he does another escape in olympia too- it seems pricey but I don't have a lot of free time and..... It seems like a lot of work
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:32 PM   #68

Trailer: 2013 19'
rbryan4

When I was picking up my 2013 19' I was graciously provided the following lists by Jim Bennett and CPAHarly. I provide them to you in the spirit in which they were offered to me. I hope the attachment posts as I haven't done this much.

I can start a list here, if that is okay:
pots/pans/cookware/can opener/eating utensils/knifes/scissors/coffee maker/coffee/coffee measuring cup/sugar/spices/containers for left overs/napkins/paper towels/plates or paper plates/cups/plastic drink ware/toilet tissue/in/outdoor thermometer for refer/batteries/dishwashing liquid/hand soap/bath soap/dish towels/bath towels/multipurpose cleaner/brillo pads for cleaning pots/pens/markers/trash bags/bags for pets/empty shoe boxes/mesh laundry bag/
coaxial cable/small extension cord/level/30/50/15 amp cord adapters/water hoses/water filters/water pressure reducer/microfiber cloths/hangars/plastic suction holders/extra sewer hoses and plastic gloves/fittings for joining hoses/plastic boxes for storing some of these items/clock/weather radio/12v plug in chargers/leads for pets/pet food/pet rugs/pet records/outdoor mat/chairs/table/sun glasses/rain gear/
read all the manuals, bleed propane lines, pressure the pump with water before activating water heater/be patient,this is supposed to be fun
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Escaping List.pdf (47.8 KB, 78 views)
sokol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:13 PM   #69

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokol View Post
When I was picking up my 2013 19' I was graciously provided the following lists by Jim Bennett and CPAHarly. I provide them to you in the spirit in which they were offered to me. I hope the attachment posts as I haven't done this much.

I can start a list here, if that is okay:
pots/pans/cookware/can opener/eating utensils/knifes/scissors/coffee maker/coffee/coffee measuring cup/sugar/spices/containers for left overs/napkins/paper towels/plates or paper plates/cups/plastic drink ware/toilet tissue/in/outdoor thermometer for refer/batteries/dishwashing liquid/hand soap/bath soap/dish towels/bath towels/multipurpose cleaner/brillo pads for cleaning pots/pens/markers/trash bags/bags for pets/empty shoe boxes/mesh laundry bag/
coaxial cable/small extension cord/level/30/50/15 amp cord adapters/water hoses/water filters/water pressure reducer/microfiber cloths/hangars/plastic suction holders/extra sewer hoses and plastic gloves/fittings for joining hoses/plastic boxes for storing some of these items/clock/weather radio/12v plug in chargers/leads for pets/pet food/pet rugs/pet records/outdoor mat/chairs/table/sun glasses/rain gear/
read all the manuals, bleed propane lines, pressure the pump with water before activating water heater/be patient,this is supposed to be fun
Thanks much for passing that on, for those of us picking up a new trailer it's great information and should prevent some headaches!
Oregonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:19 PM   #70

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B "L'Escaboose" with 2021 Ford F150 XLT
I second that - thanks for the list! I have been poring over several lists from this forum and other sources and they are all very helpful.
Nindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:38 AM   #71

Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A/2015 21 coming in march
duct tape
WLYBGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:25 AM   #72
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Zero balance credit card
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:31 AM   #73

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLYBGR View Post
duct tape
I personally prefer gaffer's tape. As good as duct tape but it does not leave a residue after it has been in place for a while.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:58 AM   #74

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I personally prefer gaffer's tape. As good as duct tape but it does not leave a residue after it has been in place for a while.
It does stick great but be careful. I pulled the finish off my hardwood floor when I used it to hold a temporary carpet runner for a party. Had to use a hair dryer to get it up without further damage.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:13 AM   #75

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
It does stick great but be careful. I pulled the finish off my hardwood floor when I used it to hold a temporary carpet runner for a party. Had to use a hair dryer to get it up without further damage.
Carl, I would suspect something amiss with the finish on the floor. There is no way that gaffers tape should pull the finish off. Was it a site finish, or pre-finished?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:36 AM   #76
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Yes sir. A tip I learned from Jon.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:34 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Carl, I would suspect something amiss with the finish on the floor. There is no way that gaffers tape should pull the finish off. Was it a site finish, or pre-finished?
Prefinished. Highly rated tape from amazon. Stuck like crazy.

Zig Ziglar
Old 02-18-2015, 11:38 AM   #78

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Gaffer tape, not Duck Tape, will not stick like crazy. You can even stick it to itself, sticky to sticky, and easily separate it.
It's used in TV and movies and in photo studios to tape down cords etc. so people don't trip over them.
I did manage to damage some wallpaper once by ripping the tape off the wall instead of peeling it back slowly.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:22 PM   #79

Trailer: Shopping tv 2014 Nissan Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Zero balance credit card
Isn't that the truth lol
mk1549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 01:46 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Gaffer tape, not Duck Tape, will not stick like crazy. You can even stick it to itself, sticky to sticky, and easily separate it.
It's used in TV and movies and in photo studios to tape down cords etc. so people don't trip over them.
I did manage to damage some wallpaper once by ripping the tape off the wall instead of peeling it back slowly.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Allstar Performance ALL14253 Black 2" x 165' Gaffer's Tape

This is the stuff. Pulled straight off. Later pulled at an angle after warming it up and it was ok.

Zig Ziglar