Nissan Frontier towing capacity? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-12-2018, 06:00 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Responses

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
The question stated in post # 1 was answered in post #1
About a dozen nice guys and me got an opportunity to express their opinions, advice and experiences. I’d call that a forum success. Answers on the forum are like seining bait. Take the ones you like , throw the ones back you don’t like. If you don’t have enough, seine another hole and don’t take more than you can use. Except you don’t have to have a license and you don’t get stuck on a stick or a rock. I like it.
Iowa Dave
Old 06-12-2018, 06:10 PM   #22

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
About a dozen nice guys and me got an opportunity to express their opinions, advice and experiences. I’d call that a forum success. Answers on the forum are like seining bait. Take the ones you like , throw the ones back you don’t like. If you don’t have enough, seine another hole and don’t take more than you can use. Except you don’t have to have a license and you don’t get stuck on a stick or a rock. I like it.
Iowa Dave

So you are saying if we were donuts you would make it a bakers dozen?
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 06:15 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
I always thought you should name your combo the Bumblebee,

It's scientifically impossible for the bumblebee to fly as it does not have the required capacity (in terms of wing area or flapping speed). But the bumblebee, being unaware of these scientific facts, flies anyway."
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/bumblebees-cant-fly/
Micheal K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 06:17 PM   #24

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Donut

I’d be one of the big ones that really looked good but had stayed in the grease a little too long making it tough and disappointing whoever bit me. The rest of you guys would be picked by the ladies and have frosting where your hair used to be. Possibly being ideal to sop up poutine gravy. Now that’s a thread drift.
Iowa Dave
Old 06-12-2018, 06:50 PM   #25

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I’d be one of the big ones that really looked good but had stayed in the grease a little too long making it tough and disappointing whoever bit me. The rest of you guys would be picked by the ladies and have frosting where your hair used to be. Possibly being ideal to sop up poutine gravy. Now that’s a thread drift.
Iowa Dave

I'd be an apple fritter, kinda ugly but oh so good
Attached Thumbnails
apple_fritter.jpg  
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:01 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape
Thanks to all for their replies. It was appreciated and very informative.
Enjoy your escape adventures.

Stephen
gone4awhile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:10 PM   #27
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
I'd be an apple fritter, kinda ugly but oh so good
You're killing me Karen and Ken. Apple Fritters are my weakness. Or breakfast tacos. Luckily you can kill two birds with one stone at the Original Donut Shop here in San Antonio.Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1529363321261.jpeg
Views:	13
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	32305
Old 06-20-2018, 12:55 PM   #28

Trailer: 19' Escape
Hi,
We pulled a 19' Escape for two years and 35,000km with our Nissan Frontier with absolutely no problems pulling or swaying. The towing capacity for the 6cyl 4wd is 6000 pounds. Good luck!
Suzanne and Bob Fortier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 03:30 PM   #29

My situation was somewhat different as I have a 5.0 which I pulled with a 4WD Frontier. Pulled easily but limited radius of turn. Last year I traded for the diesel Canyon. ❤️ I get 20 mpg at 70 mph!! Easier to maneuver with good turning radius even though it’s still 4WD.
rvanwyngarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 04:26 PM   #30

Trailer: 2016 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gone4awhile View Post
Hi,
We are considering a 2018 21ft Escape trailer to be towed by our 2013 Nissan King Cab 2wd 6 cyl Frontier truck. We would appreciate any feedback as to the suitability of this truck towing this trailer.
Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Stephen
We have the same Frontier 2014. We are pulling a 5.0TA. We are two years into our journey. The other posts are right on. We do all the tricks suggested. I did install Timbren bump stops on the rear suspension. They helped level the Frontier during tow. They didn't impact the normal ride. They help protect rear leaf springs. We are pleased with our tow for now. Frontier is guttsy. We will probably go bigger though once begin longer travels.
gbjepson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 07:37 PM   #31
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
When I was towing with my Tacoma, I added airbags, and after loading the truck and hitching (without a WDH *), I would then pump them up so the truck was riding at the same level it was empty. Typically, this took 35-40 PSI with the 2nd gen Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4. this made a HUGE difference in how it rode AND handled. and when you get home and unload, let most of the air out of hte bags (they say to leave 5 PSI in them to hold their shape), and the truck rides like it did originally.

* if you're using a WDH, then adjust the bags after loading but BEFORE hitching, use the WDH to level the truck when hitched...
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:01 AM   #32

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
When I was towing with my Tacoma, I added airbags, and after loading the truck and hitching (without a WDH *), I would then pump them up so the truck was riding at the same level it was empty. Typically, this took 35-40 PSI with the 2nd gen Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4. this made a HUGE difference in how it rode AND handled. and when you get home and unload, let most of the air out of hte bags (they say to leave 5 PSI in them to hold their shape), and the truck rides like it did originally.

* if you're using a WDH, then adjust the bags after loading but BEFORE hitching, use the WDH to level the truck when hitched...
An alternative to air bags is changing the rear spring bumpers to Sumo SuperSprings.. I prefer these to air bags, but either would help.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:43 PM   #33
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
An alternative to air bags is changing the rear spring bumpers to Sumo SuperSprings.. I prefer these to air bags, but either would help.
my issue with the various enhanced bump stops, add-a-leaf, etc systems is, they do nothing til the suspension is already 50% (or more) compressed, then they increase the spring rate for the last 50% (or less) of the full wheel travel, so when you're loaded, you're traveling with the tail way down....

air bags, adjusted properly, let you ride at the standard height (or really any height you choose). sure, air bags require you to adjust them, and let the air back out when you're back home and running around empty... you can, for a few $100 more, get a onboard compressor system so you can adjust them right from the dashboard. I found with my Tacoma after a couple trips where I carefully measured and tweaked the inflation that 35 PSI was fine for most loads, and 40 PSI for heavily loaded, and I was good to go, so I stopped even bothering to measure, load it up, then pump it to 35 or 40, and drive on...

now, do note, my Tacoma has the softer suspension of the TRD Off Road package, tuned for 4x4 adventures... I've been told similar years with the TRD Sport package have stiffer springs to start with, as well as stiffer shocks, so don't need the extra help.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 10:02 AM   #34

Trailer: None
hello gone4 , I tow my camper with 07 frontier - 6cyl , king cab , automatic trans , you will struggle with 21' - I run with overdrive off - get 10 - 12 mpg - keep camper light as possible - no water in any tank - fill bed with every thing - bikes / chest / chairs - tough going in Ozark / Smoky mnts. - upgraded to bilstien shocks , use huge blue ox anti-sway - we feel safe at 65mph - In the wind - pastor alan
Pastor alan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nissan frontier, towing capacity