Now this is scary! - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2016, 07:35 AM   #31

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Ford doesn't care if you like your older F-150, only if people buy new ones.........
Pretty much the same attitude exhibited by most manufacturers, auto or not. The list is endless......electronics, appliances, etc., and even aftermarket auto repair parts.

"What a long, strange trip it's been....."
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 07:40 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
Salt is hard on the underside. One year I was pretty broke and skipped the carwash with underbody flush. Really tore up the underside of my Trailblazer. Corroded trans cooler line in two. Now I hit the carwash a lot when the road is salty. I know some are more prone. My Silverado had a lousy frame coating at the start of new model. Keep it washed a lot. I am going to try Fluid Film on the frame to coat bad spots. Gets good reviews on the forums.
Hi: skiman... I don't know what Ohio used on I75 during a freezing rain warning... but it sure did a number on the 5.0TA's frame in March. Salt is good on french fries and poutine!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie

escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 11:55 AM   #33

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: skiman... I don't know what Ohio used on I75 during a freezing rain warning... but it sure did a number on the 5.0TA's frame in March. Salt is good on french fries and poutine!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Road salt damage is a good reason to have a trailer finished in the winter stored for a spring pickup.
"What a long, strange trip it's been....."
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:11 PM   #34

Trailer: perhaps 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
Uhh...I'm towing my Escape with a 1993 F-150XLT but you guys are scaring me as the thread title suggests.
not to worry... the good news is back then they didn't put as much electronic stuff in the vehicles pre 2k besides the radio/cassette player. And another plus is those older vehicles didn't need multiple software updates to fix the bugs in them! Today there is so much electronic bs in vehicles and its probably only going to get worse.
last vehicle had 19 years/120k miles on it...worked okay and parts were no problem...just needed something bigger with a warranty to tow a trailer, otherwise would not have bought a new computer on 4 wheels that has already had two software updates in less than a year!
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 01:48 PM   #35

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I agree that electronic components are a problem for long-term parts availability, and while this one F-150 owner made headlines, I'm sure there are lots of vehicles scrapped for lack of an ECU (Electronic Control Unit). When use of electronic components is excessive - such as a touch-screen to turn on the heater - that's bad design (but done to please buyers); when the technology is used effectively it is the key to the substantial improvements in power, efficiency, low emissions, handling, and stability of modern vehicles. There are no easy answers in vehicle design.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 03:00 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
not to worry... the good news is back then they didn't put as much electronic stuff in the vehicles pre 2k besides the radio/cassette player.
Importantly, the entertainment systems then were not integrated with anything you need to safely operate the vehicle (such as heater/defroster controls), so they don't need to be fixed, or replaced with anything specific to the vehicle. They even came in common package sizes ("DIN" and "double DIN" were the classic in-dash unit sizes) so a wide range of aftermarket equipment can be used if the original is not available.
Old 09-14-2016, 01:13 AM   #37

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2015 Dodge Ram 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Importantly, the entertainment systems then were not integrated with anything you need to safely operate the vehicle (such as heater/defroster controls), so they don't need to be fixed, or replaced with anything specific to the vehicle. They even came in common package sizes ("DIN" and "double DIN" were the classic in-dash unit sizes) so a wide range of aftermarket equipment can be used if the original is not available.
If the new radio in your Ford Ecoboost toasts you actually lose the artificially created V-8 engine sound. That said, I'd like to see an option for selecting different engine sounds. I kind of miss the big block wild cams that used to cruise the neighbourhoods...sort of.
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:21 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by davescape View Post
If the new radio in your Ford Ecoboost toasts you actually lose the artificially created V-8 engine sound.

If I ever buy a vehicle with phony engine sounds (and they are quite common now) I think I'll make disabling that a condition of the purchase. It's like those wheels with phony bolt heads around the rim, or a "turbo" badge on a car without a turbocharger.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:41 AM   #39
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Don't need any additional sounds....in fact I turn my radio off.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0419.jpg (405.9 KB, 12 views)
Old 09-14-2016, 08:57 PM   #40

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2015 Dodge Ram 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Don't need any additional sounds....in fact I turn my radio off.....
What was that Jim? I CAN'T HEAR YA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160914_174623_1473900666688_resized.jpg (140.5 KB, 5 views)

davescape is offline   Reply With Quote