Now this is scary! - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2016, 06:03 PM   #21

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
They also sold the Lincoln Mark LT between 2006 and 2008 I believe.
Ah, I missed the different name on round two. They're so rare they're easy to forget... and so old you can't get parts for them anyway.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:24 PM   #22

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
When the alternator died in my eight-year-old Focus.....
IMHO, for what it may be worth, alternators are the "common" Achilles heel of Fords. I had an E350 work van that went thru 3, and a Ranger that went thru 4. I didn't care about the van; it was a company vehicle assigned to me. I ended up getting a "lifetime replacement" alternator at Auto Zone so the last 3 for the Ranger were free. I could change those things out in 10 minutes. The Ranger went to my wife's cousin at 12 years old and now has over 300,000 miles on it. But, I have never had one go on either of the F150s.

Incidentally, I love the current Chevy ad in which they criticize the F150's aluminum body. Very funny, considering GM is switching to aluminum, so I've been told by a retired GM employee (from Parry Sound).
Old 09-12-2016, 06:28 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I guess Canada cleaned up their junk yards, seems to me there are plenty of wrecked Fords in junk yards around here in the lower 48....
There are problems with getting used parts. The first one is that if yours broke, the ones in wrecked vehicles may well have broken, too. Another problem is that wreckers can't keep everything forever, so they strip vehicles down, inventory the saleable parts, and trash (recycle if possible) the rest. Many interior parts just go in the trash because there's no market for them, even if they are in perfect condition. So if the part you need breaks a lot there are no good ones available, and if it never breaks there were lots but they all got thrown away.

I'm sure there are thousands of F-150s in Alberta wreckers yards, being stripped for the stuff that sells, such as engines, transmissions, suspension components, and body panels.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:10 PM   #24

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
The subject F-150 is seven years old, and I'll bet that if a member of this forum asked whether their 2009 F-150 would be a suitable tow vehicle for an Escape, someone would express reservations that it is too old.
Uhh...I'm towing my Escape with a 1993 F-150XLT but you guys are scaring me as the thread title suggests.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:43 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
Uhh...I'm towing my Escape with a 1993 F-150XLT but you guys are scaring me as the thread title suggests.
I'm not one of the ones who would be concerned about a 7-year-old tow vehicle. 23 years may be pushing it, but it is a matter of individual vehicle condition. The good thing about parts availability is that stuff you are likely to need is likely to be available from aftermarket suppliers, to some extent because many of the parts also fit later years or other models. The guy with the 2009 F-150 needing an HVAC module was unfortunate enough to have something fail which usually doesn't, and which is unique to the model.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:31 PM   #26

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
All of the major manufacturers have similar policies, which means discontinuing parts about a decade after those parts were last used in a production vehicle. In some cases this drives new vehicle sales, since older vehicles could run for decades if parts were available.

I have had two Fords, and have not had a problem getting most parts... one of which was a suspension part that should not have ever needed replacement but failed so frequently that local dealerships kept it in stock!

When the alternator died in my eight-year-old Focus I was on a trip, so I was stuck at the first Ford dealer that I could reach while it was replaced, and I ended up wandering around the new cars in the lot. A sales guy asked if he could be of assistance, and I responded no, because I had no intention of buying another Ford (reflecting my feelings of the moment). When I told him what I was driving and why I was there, he said that it was an old car so I should get a new one anyway; I told him that we Toyota owners think of eight years as "broken in" and ready for another decade, not broken down and needing replacement.

The attitude of the manufacturers, the dealers, and a substantial fraction of owners is that once a car is due for any service other than oil changes, it should be thrown away and replaced by a fresh one. If you trade cars at less than five years old, you are encouraging this philosophy, although I suppose you could just be saying that older isn't good enough for you, but it is for some poorer people out there. The subject F-150 is seven years old, and I'll bet that if a member of this forum asked whether their 2009 F-150 would be a suitable tow vehicle for an Escape, someone would express reservations that it is too old.

That would be approximately reasonable, because parts (at least emissions-related parts) would need to be available as long as the warranty on the emissions systems runs.
Just before my trip went to Ford dealer and bought new master cyclinder . Our truck is a 1992 Ford . I still get parts I need after 24 years . On this last trip it looks like the Ford dealers could be lonely , because I never saw so many of these trucks still on the road and looking very good .On way home parked next to another in campground ,and spoke to owner
and he said what I say new trucks are pretty exspensive and our trucks still can do the job and have a lot of life left in them . He also said these were very good years for Ford . For how many I saw I think he is right . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:36 PM   #27

Quote:
Karen if Ford can't get it for you LMC Ford truck parts . Have used them replaced ac vents and very happy with parts . There are also other truck parts dealers . Just can't think right now . They are out there because so many of these trucks still . Pat
Old 09-12-2016, 10:55 PM   #28

I forgot to put in my Ford part-no-longer-available anecdote. The heat shields (between the exhaust system and floor) on both my 2004 Ford Focus and our 2004 Toyota Sienna corroded through at some of the mounting points, where they are held on studs welded to the floor. On the Sienna I just unscrewed the nuts (proper nuts on machine threaded studs), added fender washers to make up for the missing shield material, and screwed the original nuts back on. For the Focus, the nuts were cheap stamped things on sort of threaded studs, which wouldn't hold securely... and the Ford dealer said they didn't have those fasteners any more (at about a decade old, and probably much less since those nuts were last used). The Ford dealership's service guys gave me a handful of generic push-on clips which I added to the original "nuts" (along with fender washers like the Sienna), and it worked.

The Ford parts were junk which were not available, while the Toyota parts were standard hardware so they would always be available... and were not needed anyway. I suppose whether you notice the lack of availability of some parts depends on whether you need to replace them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Just before my trip went to Ford dealer and bought new master cyclinder . Our truck is a 1992 Ford . I still get parts I need after 24 years .
I'm not surprised, because that's a part that does commonly need replacement eventually (although I've never needed one except for a VW, and maybe one Datsun... hard to remember), and it can be easily built (or rebuilt) by aftermarket suppliers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
On this last trip it looks like the Ford dealers could be lonely , because I never saw so many of these trucks still on the road and looking very good .
There are lots - I stopped at a gas station today and there were two tenth generation (1997–2003) F-150's there. Pre-1997 models are now pretty rare here, but that's two decades plus.

Ford doesn't care if you like your older F-150, only if people buy new ones, and many of those people will only have them for less than 5 years. What keeps parts available for older ones is simply that there is enough demand for them to make production of the parts economically viable.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:19 AM   #29

Quote:
I forgot to put in my Ford part-no-longer-available anecdote. The heat shields (between the exhaust system and floor) on both my 2004 Ford Focus and our 2004 Toyota Sienna corroded through at some of the mounting points, where they are held on studs welded to the floor. On the Sienna I just unscrewed the nuts (proper nuts on machine threaded studs), added fender washers to make up for the missing shield material, and screwed the original nuts back on. For the Focus, the nuts were cheap stamped things on sort of threaded studs, which wouldn't hold securely... and the Ford dealer said they didn't have those fasteners any more (at about a decade old, and probably much less since those nuts were last used). The Ford dealership's service guys gave me a handful of generic push-on clips which I added to the original "nuts" (along with fender washers like the Sienna), and it worked.

The Ford parts were junk which were not available, while the Toyota parts were standard hardware so they would always be available... and were not needed anyway. I suppose whether you notice the lack of availability of some parts depends on whether you need to replace them...

I'm not surprised, because that's a part that does commonly need replacement eventually (although I've never needed one except for a VW, and maybe one Datsun... hard to remember), and it can be easily built (or rebuilt) by aftermarket suppliers.

There are lots - I stopped at a gas station today and there were two tenth generation (1997–2003) F-150's there. Pre-1997 models are now pretty rare here, but that's two decades plus.

Ford doesn't care if you like your older F-150, only if people buy new ones, and many of those people will only have them for less than 5 years. What keeps parts available for older ones is simply that there is enough demand for them to make production of the parts economically viable.
Brian must be true about demand . All the way up and down the pacific Coast Washington to California , we saw more of I think, 1989 -1996 Ford trucks . F150, F250 , and F350 's . Pat
Old 09-13-2016, 06:29 AM   #30

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: PGDriver... My brothers Taco PU was condemned by the dealer while on the hoist. Frame rotten!!! He took the settlement added 5 G's and bought a newer Taco. Living in the Capitol of Canada's rust belt... he just got a recall notice for a free frame inspection and oil undercoating. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Salt is hard on the underside. One year I was pretty broke and skipped the carwash with underbody flush. Really tore up the underside of my Trailblazer. Corroded trans cooler line in two. Now I hit the carwash a lot when the road is salty. I know some are more prone. My Silverado had a lousy frame coating at the start of new model. Keep it washed a lot. I am going to try Fluid Film on the frame to coat bad spots. Gets good reviews on the forums.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:35 AM   #31

Quote:
Ford doesn't care if you like your older F-150, only if people buy new ones.........
Pretty much the same attitude exhibited by most manufacturers, auto or not. The list is endless......electronics, appliances, etc., and even aftermarket auto repair parts.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:40 AM   #32

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
Salt is hard on the underside. One year I was pretty broke and skipped the carwash with underbody flush. Really tore up the underside of my Trailblazer. Corroded trans cooler line in two. Now I hit the carwash a lot when the road is salty. I know some are more prone. My Silverado had a lousy frame coating at the start of new model. Keep it washed a lot. I am going to try Fluid Film on the frame to coat bad spots. Gets good reviews on the forums.
Hi: skiman... I don't know what Ohio used on I75 during a freezing rain warning... but it sure did a number on the 5.0TA's frame in March. Salt is good on french fries and poutine!!! Alf
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:55 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: skiman... I don't know what Ohio used on I75 during a freezing rain warning... but it sure did a number on the 5.0TA's frame in March. Salt is good on french fries and poutine!!! Alf
Road salt damage is a good reason to have a trailer finished in the winter stored for a spring pickup.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:11 AM   #34

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
not to worry... the good news is back then they didn't put as much electronic stuff in the vehicles pre 2k besides the radio/cassette player. And another plus is those older vehicles didn't need multiple software updates to fix the bugs in them! Today there is so much electronic bs in vehicles and its probably only going to get worse.
last vehicle had 19 years/120k miles on it...worked okay and parts were no problem...just needed something bigger with a warranty to tow a trailer, otherwise would not have bought a new computer on 4 wheels that has already had two software updates in less than a year!
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:48 PM   #35

I agree that electronic components are a problem for long-term parts availability, and while this one F-150 owner made headlines, I'm sure there are lots of vehicles scrapped for lack of an ECU (Electronic Control Unit). When use of electronic components is excessive - such as a touch-screen to turn on the heater - that's bad design (but done to please buyers); when the technology is used effectively it is the key to the substantial improvements in power, efficiency, low emissions, handling, and stability of modern vehicles. There are no easy answers in vehicle design.
Old 09-13-2016, 02:00 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
not to worry... the good news is back then they didn't put as much electronic stuff in the vehicles pre 2k besides the radio/cassette player.
Importantly, the entertainment systems then were not integrated with anything you need to safely operate the vehicle (such as heater/defroster controls), so they don't need to be fixed, or replaced with anything specific to the vehicle. They even came in common package sizes ("DIN" and "double DIN" were the classic in-dash unit sizes) so a wide range of aftermarket equipment can be used if the original is not available.
Old 09-14-2016, 12:13 AM   #37

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2021 F150 Powerboost
Quote:
Importantly, the entertainment systems then were not integrated with anything you need to safely operate the vehicle (such as heater/defroster controls), so they don't need to be fixed, or replaced with anything specific to the vehicle. They even came in common package sizes ("DIN" and "double DIN" were the classic in-dash unit sizes) so a wide range of aftermarket equipment can be used if the original is not available.
If the new radio in your Ford Ecoboost toasts you actually lose the artificially created V-8 engine sound. That said, I'd like to see an option for selecting different engine sounds. I kind of miss the big block wild cams that used to cruise the neighbourhoods...sort of.
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:21 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by davescape View Post
If the new radio in your Ford Ecoboost toasts you actually lose the artificially created V-8 engine sound.

If I ever buy a vehicle with phony engine sounds (and they are quite common now) I think I'll make disabling that a condition of the purchase. It's like those wheels with phony bolt heads around the rim, or a "turbo" badge on a car without a turbocharger.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:41 AM   #39

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Don't need any additional sounds....in fact I turn my radio off.....
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0419.jpg  
Old 09-14-2016, 07:57 PM   #40

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2021 F150 Powerboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Don't need any additional sounds....in fact I turn my radio off.....
What was that Jim? I CAN'T HEAR YA
Attached Thumbnails
20160914_174623_1473900666688_resized.jpg  
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote