Odd Camper Trailer - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2015, 02:01 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Odd Camper Trailer

Here is a photo of a really odd looking camper trailer that we encountered in Waterton National Park last week. Looks like they may have come from Switzerland.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 02:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 19' towed by a 4Runner
Looks like a VW T5 is the tug, something else not sold in these parts cause of the chicken tax.
GRINGOandTICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 02:32 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Here is a photo of a really odd looking camper trailer that we encountered in Waterton National Park last week. Looks like they may have come from Switzerland.
Interesting. A swiveling front axle. It appears that the geometry of the front axle is in line with the tow, and the front of the trailer simply swivels on a center point from the axle. The effect would be almost a "3 axle tow", except I'm assuming the carriage could also swivel on the tow's ball?
Old 08-01-2015, 02:35 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
And like those farm wagons, more of a challenge to back up. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 02:47 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
Right. Backing up would be a whole other experience. One advantage I see would be little to no tongue weight. It's carried by the front axle.
Old 08-01-2015, 03:35 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRINGOandTICA View Post
cause of the chicken tax
What the heck is a chicken tax?
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 03:55 PM   #7

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_tax
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 03:58 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Also,
Found this
Quote:
WASHINGTON -- In the background of the free-trade debate that has raged in Washington this summer, a sacred cow of U.S. auto and trade policy is under threat.

The 25 percent tariff imposed on imported pickups and commercial vans, known as the "chicken tax," stands to be significantly rolled back through big-ticket trade deals being hammered out with Pacific Rim nations and the European Union.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 04:18 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 19 26/May/2014 Sold New trailer 2016 Bigfoot 25B21FB
On are last camping trip I saw pick up truck towing a large fifth wheel trailer with this kind of tows axle. I wonder how the well the trailers tow useing a extra axle like this?
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

Mark & Karen Van Tiem 2014 Escape 19 sold, Now a Bigfoot 25B21FB Travel Trailer
markvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 04:50 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
This type of trailer is called a "full trailer", just like a traditional horse-drawn wagon; conventional trailers are called "pony trailers" (because they have just one axle set and the front is carried on the tug like a horse racing buggy's front is carried on the horse) or in some cases a "semi-trailer".

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Interesting. A swiveling front axle. It appears that the geometry of the front axle is in line with the tow, and the front of the trailer simply swivels on a center point from the axle. The effect would be almost a "3 axle tow", except I'm assuming the carriage could also swivel on the tow's ball?
Yes, the connection to the tug is a normal ball, so it pivots there. This is just like an old horse-drawn wagon or the most basic version of a child's little red wagon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
Yes, that's definitely one disadvantage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
One advantage I see would be little to no tongue weight. It's carried by the front axle.
Yes, that's a reason to use it. It's also a bit of a disadvantage for rear-wheel-drive tugs, because there is no extra drive traction provided by tongue weight.

This sort of pivoting axle (or dolly, if it is a separate part) can work well, but if not done properly it can be unstable. It is also illegal in many places for a non-commercial rig. A vehicle towed on a pivoting-type dolly behind a motorhome is essentially the same thing, but a vehicle behind a motorhome is in some places a specific exception to the rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markvt View Post
On are last camping trip I saw pick up truck towing a large fifth wheel trailer with this kind of tows axle. I wonder how the well the trailers tow useing a extra axle like this?
This is not like the pivoting dolly - it can't turn relative to the truck. This essentially adds an extra axle to the truck, way too far from the drive axle, with lousy suspension. I think people using these should really just get a proper conventional trailer (instead of making a fifth-wheel into a poorly-designed conventional), or get a more suitable truck that doesn't need this junk.

When a dolly that turns (like the ones for towing a car being a motorhome) is used to add another semi-trailer behind the first trailer of a big rig, it's called an "A-train". When a non-pivoting dolly like the rig above is used for the same purpose, it's called a "B-train".
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 05:03 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRINGOandTICA View Post
Looks like a VW T5 is the tug, something else not sold in these parts cause of the chicken tax.
We had one of the last imported VW Weekenders and sold it for what we paid for it. One of the side effects of no longer importing the VW vans (considered commercial) is the on-going high demand for any Westy. It's amazing how many are still on the road and the prices they command. The tax made the importing of the van no longer economically feasible even though the VW van remains one of the most popular camping vehicles in Europe. Would still love to have a T5 diesel as our tug.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 05:10 PM   #12

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
... the VW van remains one of the most popular camping vehicles in Europe. Would still love to have a T5 diesel as our tug.
If you want a front wheel drive diesel commercial van, you now have the option of a Ram ProMaster... although it is bigger than a T5.

I test-drove a used T4-based camper (I believe it was a Westfalia) long ago, and couldn't stand the way it behaved on the road. To be fair, this was before we got our motohome and I became accustomed to driving that...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote