Oh power where art thou? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2018, 09:17 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Oh power where art thou?

Hello all,
We are mired in a conundrum to which there is probably a simple answer. Please help.

We had our 5.0TA plugged into outside power at home and things were fine while we cleaned it after our last trip. Then after dumping the tanks and taking it to be washed, we parked it in its little parking space home. Bruce was checking things out in the trailer and found that the connected outside power was not active. Things are working off the batteries but the 120v power is not coming through from it's connection to our barn (yes, the barn power is working and there is power all the way to the trailer). Bruce was so absorbed in trying to find the answers in the manuals that I had to drag him in for dinner that was already cold! As newbies, we are asking for you all to impart unto us your insight as to why this has occurred and how we fix it.

Also, another question. Should the inverter always be switched off when not in use or does it make a difference?

Thank you all,
Z
Old 03-31-2018, 09:25 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
You've heard the expression "follow the money" well it's similar for trailers only it's "follow the power". Power comes in and goes to the main breaker. Is there power there? Is it turned on? Were you checking at an outlet that's GFCI protected and it's tripped?

Pinpoint where the power stops and you'll have your answer.

If the trailer's plugged into shore power there's no harm but also no reason for the inverter to be on. If the trailer's not plugged into shore power, yes, there is a small standby draw and it shouldn't be left on for extended periods.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 09:42 PM   #3

As stated, there is power all the way to the trailer.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:34 PM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Do you have the Progressive Dynamics EMS (ETI option “surge protector”)?
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 10:40 PM   #5

I'm not sure that you're understanding what I'm saying.

Yes, there's power all the way to the trailer. But you're saying that at some point in the trailer there isn't any power.

The power comes into the trailer and goes to a circuit breaker. That's the first point to check for power. Then check that the circuit breaker hasn't been accidentally turned off.

If you're checking for power at an outlet, make sure that it's not a GRCI one that's been tripped. Check other outlets.

If the battery converters not charging check that the circuit breaker for it isn't tripped or turned off.

Trouble shooting is a step by step process.

Ron
Old 03-31-2018, 10:40 PM   #6

yes, we do have the ETI surge protector
Old 03-31-2018, 10:50 PM   #7

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahuta View Post
The ETI Electronic Monitoting System (EMS) with surge protector will not let “dirty” power into the trailer. Get one off those simple wiring testers and check the outlet that the extension cord is plugged into. If there is an open neutral or an open gound at the outlet, the EMS will protect the trailer electronics by not letting any power past the surge protector.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 10:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Sorry I meant Progressive Industries. What is the display saying? If it says “E0” then you have power past that point. If it has any other code the EMS is detecting an issue and holding out power as it is designed to do.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:57 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Underneath the driver side rear cabinet, right where the power comes in, is a gray box with two circuit breakers... it hangs from the bottom of the seat. Look there to see if one of the circuit breakers have tripped. This is before the power gets to the main circuit brake panel.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 11:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Underneath the driver side rear cabinet, right where the power comes in, is a gray box with two circuit breakers... it hangs from the bottom of the seat. Look there to see if one of the circuit breakers have tripped. This is before the power gets to the main circuit brake panel.
Donna I believe these breakers are on the output side of the main breaker panel and only there to feed the receptacles if the trailer has the inverter option. That said, if one of them is tripped and the OP is testing a receptacle on that circuit they will not have power. I want to clarify because since these breakers are not upstream of the main panel it won’t interrupt power to 120V AC items like the A/C, converter, fridge (elec mode), hot water heater (elec mode) even if one or both are tripped. It would be helpful if we knew where the OP was testing for power.
Old 04-01-2018, 10:46 AM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
This breaker is on my 19 next to the Progressive Industries box. It has no way of telling you if it's broke. In fact, when I mysteriously lost all power I tested it and somehow discounted it as the problem. You likely have one in your trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
bussmann.jpg  
Old 04-01-2018, 12:20 PM   #12

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
This breaker is on my 19 next to the Progressive Industries box.
You likely have one in your trailer.
Likely, but that's a 12 V DC breaker, which will have no effect on 120 V AC power in the trailer.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 03:04 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
The ETI Electronic Monitoting System (EMS) with surge protector will not let “dirty” power into the trailer. Get one off those simple wiring testers and check the outlet that the extension cord is plugged into. If there is an open neutral or an open gound at the outlet, the EMS will protect the trailer electronics by not letting any power past the surge protector.
In addition, if the EMS is receiving low power, the EMS will not work and the remote monitor was blank, no error codes. I had to replace the EMS after Progressive Industries staff determined that the EMS was faulty. We had to measure the power all the way, step by step from the house to the unit. At the end of testing, the EMS was determined to be dead.
Old 04-01-2018, 03:11 PM   #14

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
In addition, if the EMS is receiving low power, the EMS will not work and the remote monitor was blank, no error codes. I had to replace the EMS after Progressive Industries staff determined that the EMS was faulty. We had to measure the power all the way, step by step from the house to the unit. At the end of testing, the EMS was determined to be dead.

Interesting. Did they know or suspect its cause of death? Maybe took a power spike hit?
Old 04-01-2018, 04:43 PM   #15

There was a problem with the polarity in the extension cord. We now have juice.
We learned some things from you all that we will certainly use the next time power fails us. Thank you
Old 04-01-2018, 05:13 PM   #16

Quote:
There was a problem with the polarity in the extension cord.
Was this a "homemade" extension cord, one with the ends added later? Normally there wouldn't be a polarity problem with a manufactured extension cord with a ground pin. Usually the polarity problem is with the wall receptacle being wired incorrectly.

Glad it's solved, and, yes, we do learn from these experiences.

Ron
Old 04-01-2018, 06:07 PM   #17

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
We are all glad the owner resolved the problem. While we still do not know the diagnostic process they used, it seems to me that those following this thread and preparing a build sheet for their new Escape and asking “EMS pricey necessity or just another option?” Have their answer. We did not have one on the 19 when we got it and had ETI add it at the same time we added solar. The 21 had one. On both trailers the EMS detected problems in the service at the campground. On Anacortes Island, the park maintenance man thanked use profusely when we showed him the problem. It looked like the 30 amp had been faulty all summer and people had been using the 20 and 50
Amp instead. He was back the next morning preparing to fix the problem as we left.
Cheap insurance even if it’s not that cheap.
Iowa Dave
Old 04-01-2018, 07:19 PM   #18

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Normally there wouldn't be a polarity problem with a manufactured extension cord with a ground pin.
It's not even a likely problem with manufactured two-prong (no ground wire or pin) cords, because for many years they have been polarized (the neutral blade is wider, and connected to the neutral on the other end).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 08:40 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
There was a problem with the polarity in the extension cord. We now have juice.
We learned some things from you all that we will certainly use the next time power fails us. Thank you
This would be a good time to review the error codes the Progressive Industries Hardwired EMS-LCHW30 provides. I suspect that an error code was displayed on your remote. Here is a page that has the codes & an explanation or each. The error codes are also listed in the manual, and on the cover of the EMS.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:59 PM   #20

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
This would be a good time to review the error codes the Progressive Industries Hardwired EMS-LCHW30 provides. I suspect that an error code was displayed on your remote. Here is a page that has the codes & an explanation or each. The error codes are also listed in the manual, and on the cover of the EMS.
It doesn't always throw a code.
Try plugging into a 30 amp outlet that someone wired 2 circuit breakers to and they were on the same 120v circuit in the breaker box. It did nothing, but did have a dot displayed if I remember right. When I checked I showed 120 to ground from one and 120 to ground from the other and nothing between. This was pre Escape when I had a portable EMS from progressive. I would not expect to ever see that oddity. I took a look in the box and since it had 2 black and a white in the conduit told him I wanted to move to another site. And checked it carefully before I plugged in.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote