Okay, so I got this thing for guitars - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2019, 02:48 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Okay, so I got this thing for guitars

And amps!

Our 5.0TA is ready for pickup in May.

I play two electric guitars (Telecaster and Stratocaster) and the most amazing Telecaster Acoustasonic. It is the most amazing acoustic guitar I have ever played. I cannot stop playing it. The others are at the very top of fine crafted playability.

I am a singer / songwriter and my schedule requires three hour practices per day. I am very addicted. This is usually done with an amp for my acoustic guitar and my voice.

I do not want to inflict daily practice vibrations on others near me. That is one concern I have.

The other is how is acoustic music received at large?

Does anyone have experience playing their instrument and singing with regularity in the midst of RV campers?

What about amps turned down appropriately low?

Does it draw a crowd? Do people like to join in?

Usually I am well received and people ask for more. I expect some of that, but there is a density issue to consider.

Any musicians out there that can help guide my thoughts?

Gotta start thinking about this soon. Might as well do it now.

Tim G.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 03:23 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Folks playing acoustic string instruments reasonably well have never bothered me (ok, fiddle and banjo can get loud). Even softly amplified stuff has a way of carrying. I guess it matters /what/ you're playing, belting out power chords and singing heavy metal lyrics could proove pretty annoying to many folks.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 03:36 PM   #3

Right! Content is everything.

Usually soft acoustic picking and sweet chordings against soft singing.

Counting Crows
CSN
Lowell George
Jimmy Buffett
and simple stuff. Usually very tasteful. You can get very close.

But amps carry a long way out in nature, even at low volumes. This concerns me. I do have completely acoustic instruments too.

What should I do? Camp by waterfalls? That would work!
Old 12-07-2019, 03:36 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Well everyone loves a campfire sing along but my view is that 3 hour practice sessions in a campground environment would likely sooner or later get some negative feedback. Also some campgrounds have rules about amplified music.

I guess you could say that you'd have to play it by ear.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 03:41 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Please post a link to hear your music, sounds interesting....
Old 12-07-2019, 03:55 PM   #6

The actual practices would be sealed up in the trailer. I would post my wife outside to monitor the dB levels (at first). If necessary they would use only headphones so all you would hear is me singing and very light guitar playing that probably would not make it out of the trailer.

I would not do that to anyone but me! Usually I will be off by myself anyway. Then it should not matter too much. Still practicing good neighborliness.

Tim G.
Old 12-07-2019, 03:56 PM   #7

You can hear my first solo album here.

timgillespiedotcom

Everything is free. You can hear all nine songs. Use good speakers.

And thank you for asking!!!

Tim G.
Old 12-07-2019, 04:04 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
They sell headsets so you can practice and only you can hear.
Old 12-07-2019, 04:09 PM   #9

I have several different ways to do that including going right into my portable recording studio and piping the music however I want usually into my audio interface and then headphones.

I am very sophisticated in my approach, just totally inexperienced at RV's and etiquette. I could never dream of doing something like this in a tent!

So I got issues!

But talking to you folks is totally taking the edge off waiting. I am going to be a basket case by March 1.

Tim G.
Old 12-07-2019, 04:14 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
Usually soft acoustic picking and sweet chordings against soft singing.

Counting Crows
CSN
Lowell George
Jimmy Buffett
and simple stuff. Usually very tasteful. You can get very close.

But amps carry a long way out in nature, even at low volumes. This concerns me. I do have completely acoustic instruments too.

What should I do? Camp by waterfalls? That would work!
yeah, I'd stick with the acoustic guitars. maybe even find a 'parlor' guitar like a O or OO, rather than a dreadnaught or jumbo, string it with extra light strings, and use that as a campground picker...

I go to a 4 day campout music festival twice a year where the campgrounds are full of picking parties and bluegrass jams all night long, all unamplified (ok, there's the occasional bass player who uses a small battery amp turned way down load so he doesn't need to haul a full sized standup around). very little in the way of percussion instruments. great fun.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 04:14 PM   #11

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Personally I'd have no issue with an acoustic played quietly, an electric could be another matter.

Spent a few nights in a GA private campground, a fella up front had set up a keyboard out in front of his rig and played quietly for hours with no objections. When folks would stop he would invite them to come by after dinner when he would play again with anyone who wanted to join in.

It would probably be worth asking at the office when you check in what the local policy is. Most places have quiet hours, but outside of that you should be able to do your thing. I would think the more crowded the campground, the more chance someone would complain.

I carry my Uke and my wife brings a keyboard. She practices with headphones so no problem there. I play inside but folks can still hear it, the fiberglass doesn't block all that much of the sound.
Old 12-07-2019, 04:16 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I too was going to suggest using headphones for the most part.

I have played my acoustic guitar around campfires and campgrounds in the past, but mostly away from campgrounds. There is no issue this way.

At campgrounds I tend to play more during the day, or early evening. As long as one is not real loud or closely surrounded by other camping groups it is not too much trouble.

3 hours of electric guitar daily might get to others after a while, especially if fairly loud and a music genre they are not fond of. Some playing of it outside limited to much less time might be acceptable and enjoyed by many, however there are always some folks who want as little sound as possible. Really tough to please all. Personally, I would love to hear some of your playing.

Why not play an acoustic guitar when camping? It would have a much better acceptance from others over an electric. I have seen hundreds of guitars out while camping, and not a single electric one.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 04:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
The hole never leaves! The cheese may be gone but the hole is still there to center it.

Eventually if you wait long enough, the cheese will reappear and the hole will be there to recenter the cheese when it again shows up. Ready to be eaten.

String Cheese theory

Is it too early to be citing jokes like this?
Old 12-07-2019, 04:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Why not play an acoustic guitar when camping? It would have a much better acceptance from others over an electric. I have seen hundreds of guitars out while camping, and not a single electric one.
I will have acoustic options available. I'll have everything! The electric options would not be played out loud. Only thru a sound system with headphones. I still have to record new songs so I bring them, but they are never played out loud, only thru a recording sequencer and then headphones. Except at home, then the amps are let loose!

I play the acoustic (although it is electric too) mostly anyway. If you played my favorite acoustic, you would quickly fall in love with it. Without amps it is quieter than every other acoustic guitar by a long shot, yet acoustically perfect. Every person that plays that guitar, plays it for about 10 minutes then puts it down, opens a browser and starts shopping it! Really! Totally professional.

All practice takes place from 1-4 pm, sealed away. That should be okay.

What I am worried about is when I have a few beers and step outside after dinner for a few songs. Usually very good response. Never sure! I am new to this. Or at least I will be new to this next Spring.

I think the acoustic is the way to go too!

Thanks for the thoughtful questions.

Tm G.
Old 12-07-2019, 04:45 PM   #15

Trailer: Decisions, decisions
Your taste in music satisfies you and yours.
How about your neighbor playing their favorite vulgar rap music on their boom box?

If music can be heard off your campsite, it’s not appropriate in a campground.

I enjoy listening to music but use headphones in any public areas.

Some camp for peace and quiet.

Sam
Old 12-07-2019, 05:34 PM   #16

Trailer: 2006 Escape 17
If the music isn't any louder than the neighbor's generator, it's probably not going to be noticed.

I've had some fun jams with folks met in campgrounds. But a lot depends on time of day, density of the 'neighborhood' and the overall environment. A quiet remote campground or that one with the train on the other side of the fence?
advdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 06:04 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam View Post
Some camp for peace and quiet.
If they want to do this, a public campground is not the place to do it then. Only in later evening is there quiet, and sometimes it is even a lot later. Ever been to a trailer rally?

For me, as long as the fun folks are having is not excessively loud I am good with it. I always roll my eyes when folks complain about kids playing and making noise...well, kids will be kids.

Hey, you know, I am still a kid at heart.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 06:13 PM   #18

Good perspective. So there is a happy medium somewhere.

But the respect for others is a good take away.

I can't wait to see kids running around and adults having fun.

I am ready for this.
Old 12-07-2019, 06:33 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
I will have acoustic options available. I'll have everything! The electric options would not be played out loud. Only thru a sound system with headphones. I still have to record new songs so I bring them, but they are never played out loud, only thru a recording sequencer and then headphones. Except at home, then the amps are let loose!

I play the acoustic (although it is electric too) mostly anyway. If you played my favorite acoustic, you would quickly fall in love with it. Without amps it is quieter than every other acoustic guitar by a long shot, yet acoustically perfect. Every person that plays that guitar, plays it for about 10 minutes then puts it down, opens a browser and starts shopping it! Really! Totally professional.

All practice takes place from 1-4 pm, sealed away. That should be okay.

What I am worried about is when I have a few beers and step outside after dinner for a few songs. Usually very good response. Never sure! I am new to this. Or at least I will be new to this next Spring.

I think the acoustic is the way to go too!

Thanks for the thoughtful questions.

Tm G.
Another option that is sometimes available is a group get together. For example, every Sunday afternoon folks gather at the Gravel Pit Pavilion at the Imperial Dam Long Term Visitor Area, and jam for a couple of hours. Amplified voices & instruments, and a wide range of quality, but a good time had by performers & audience. More photos at 2017 Trip, Day 70.
Attached Thumbnails
_JRV5145.jpg  
Old 12-07-2019, 07:13 PM   #20

Nice!!