Oliver vs Escape Price Difference - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2019, 03:25 PM   #61

Trailer: 1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Meter
https://rvdailyreport.com/industry/b...o-u-s-in-2020/

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!:"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 04:10 PM   #62

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Here is a better link https://www.go-barefoot.co.uk/your-b...specification/
Old 05-08-2019, 04:41 PM   #63

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I believe he meant being newly manufactured. Many are out of business or no longer making 13'+/- length trailers. There are still a few though.
Scamp, Happier Camper, Armadillo, Trillium Outback...maybe others too. This is just off the top of my head.
I think you're right, you could read it either way. I just discovered goBe campers today. Designed in Iowa, built in Colorado they say, another new 13 ft. unit. Maybe the trend is minus two footitus like Mike says.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 04:56 PM   #64

Trailer: 1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Meter
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
I don't think you should lump in Escape with Oliver and Bigfoot as expensive trailers.
$30K plus import expenses for an Escape is still a very expensive purchase for most fiberglass trailer RV buyers young and old alike!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!:"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 06:31 PM   #65

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Import expenses - isn't that $200 CAD?
Old 05-08-2019, 06:42 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Import expenses - isn't that $200 CAD?
Yes but Mike still seems to think Escape is an "expensive" trailer but says $30K. Well good luck finding a Bigfoot or Oliver for that.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:02 PM   #67

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djs View Post
Looked at Oliver in quartzsite last year. Very nicely appointed. Ran into folks who showed me Oliver in Flagstaff a few weeks later. They were flying home and company was picking up the unit. Broken frame. Oliver is basically a road princess just like airstream. Very nice fragile though a ladies rig. I wI'll be traveling with my lady friend and we looked at Oliver's and Airstreams. Ended up with a 23 foot airstream. Won't go half the places my 17b would go. Fixing up 17 to sell now. Will miss it.
Someone this time last year mentioned coming across an Oliver in a Walmart lot with a broken frame.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:40 PM   #68

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Someone this time last year mentioned coming across an Oliver in a Walmart lot with a broken frame.

I love the idea of a rust free aluminum frame. But unlike steel, stress put on aluminum is cumulative. Everything has a breaking point. For steel, as long as no single event exceeds this threshold, it’s good. But aluminum adds all the stresses cumulatively, and once this exceeds its breaking point, it’s done. I’m not an engineer, just a bike enthusiast, where such issues are always a concern. I’m sure some of our local engineers can ‘splain this better. This is why aluminum bike frames are always seriously overbuilt compared to steel. And another thing, because of both of these factors, aluminum bike frames are notorious for providing a very harsh ride, unlike quality steel, which is supple and has good vibration dampening qualities. I wonder how much of this translates to a trailer frame? Engineers?
Old 05-08-2019, 09:02 PM   #69

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
I love the idea of a rust free aluminum frame. But unlike steel, stress put on aluminum is cumulative. Everything has a breaking point. For steel, as long as no single event exceeds this threshold, it’s good. But aluminum adds all the stresses cumulatively, and once this exceeds its breaking point, it’s done. I’m not an engineer, just a bike enthusiast, where such issues are always a concern. I’m sure some of our local engineers can ‘splain this better. This is why aluminum bike frames are always seriously overbuilt compared to steel. And another thing, because of both of these factors, aluminum bike frames are notorious for providing a very harsh ride, unlike quality steel, which is supple and has good vibration dampening qualities. I wonder how much of this translates to a trailer frame? Engineers?
Like a house, the important thing is that the foundation is strong enough to outlast the building it supports.

Nothing wrong with a steel frame. I speculate that Oliver has gone to aluminum for weight. That inner fiberglass shell adds a lot of extra pounds (or kilos if you like!).
suncoastdancers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:14 PM   #70

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
This is quite informative...
https://mechanicalelements.com/steel...trailer-frame/
https://mechanicalelements.com/choos...rame-material/
Summary: “Building with Aluminum can cost 3+ times as much, yet weigh only about half of an equivalent steel project. Why? Because larger pieces of Aluminum are required to get the same performance as with Steel. Also, more care is needed for good welds, and more support (like gussets) around the joints to avoid fatigue issues.”

The Oliver frames shown in the attached pics are fairly stout. They need to have larger rectangular beams in aluminum for greater area moment of inertia to resist deflection. Welding has to be nearly perfect. Personally I would like to see the leaf spring hangers a bit stronger. That is an area prone to a lot of fatigue. I wonder where the Oliver frames have cracked?

On edit: The suspension cradle is galvanized steel which makes sense. Still would like to see it a bit beefier, but the designers know more than me. See post #2.
https://expeditionportal.com/forum/t...photos.151791/
Attached Thumbnails
98E7F269-F216-44E6-A01D-E78751407288.jpeg   231AEBB2-A57E-4B34-9DBF-9A7DD65261D7.jpeg  
Old 05-09-2019, 02:30 AM   #71

Quote:
...I thought it funny that Oliver had four trailers at the boler 50th anniversary meet last summer. I doubt they had much interest from the majority of campers who were there in their old 13 foot bolers. In fact Armadillo who make 13 foot FG trailers seemed to be visited much more than the Olivers, and Happier Camper as well.

I was one of the four Olivers at the Boler 50th. Ian Giles personally invited each of us to come and Oliver was a major sponsor for his rally. This was a 5000 mile trip for us and we enjoyed meeting everyone. I don't know what the people's interest level in the Oliver was but in the 5 days we were there, we had nearly 2000 people tour them, 800 or so on Saturday alone. By the end of the day I felt like a one legged man in an ass kicking contest. Admittedly, as we expected, most were just curious lookie-loos but in the end there were several sales as a result.

2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD Diesel 4x4
scubarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:37 AM   #72

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Slightly used, 10 foot cabin, one thousand dollars. Ah, remember the good old days.
Attached Thumbnails
Burro81.2.jpg  
Old 05-09-2019, 02:06 PM   #73

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Brian I take issue with your comment about almost no 13 foot older FG trailers left. You should have come to Winnipeg last summer!
I meant left in production - there are, of course, a huge number of old trailers still out there. Old Bolers (and Trilliums, etc) never die... they just get renovated!

And yes, I know that there are still some 13' models still in production (the Outback and Armadillo, for instance), but Casita and Escape have dropped the small size, like most moulded fiberglass trailer manufacturers.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 04:00 PM   #74

Trailer: Escape 21NE (our third Escape)
If you have a bit of time and interested in the North Georgia mountains there will be an "Egg Rally" in Hiawassee Georgia May 30 at 1 PM – Jun 2 at 12 PM.

Oliver will display their camper and there will be several Escapes to see. I thought hard about the Ollie, but like others I like the floorplan of my 19 better. (not to mention the Escape is significantly less expensive)

https://www.riverbendcamping.com/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/eggs...ged_with_story
Richard in Georgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 07:13 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubarx View Post
I was one of the four Olivers at the Boler 50th. Ian Giles personally invited each of us to come and Oliver was a major sponsor for his rally. This was a 5000 mile trip for us and we enjoyed meeting everyone. I don't know what the people's interest level in the Oliver was but in the 5 days we were there, we had nearly 2000 people tour them, 800 or so on Saturday alone. By the end of the day I felt like a one legged man in an ass kicking contest. Admittedly, as we expected, most were just curious lookie-loos but in the end there were several sales as a result.
Sorry guess I was mistaken about the lookers at the Olivers. Glad to hear some sales came out of it. Had a nice chat with Oliver Phil at Green Eggs and Ham in March. He said he had fond memories of Winnipeg.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:10 PM   #76
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
well, I still think my Escape is the perfect size for the two of us. Our Casita 16 was fine for one, but too cramped for two.

(last weekend)
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 05:34 AM   #77

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
If you do not have a site for the Hiawassee Rally they will not let you in the campground. This rally has been full for while, I found another campground about 10 miles away and before I booked it though I better sent then an email and verify they would let us in. Answer we got back NO. They own the place they can do what they want but that attitude means they never get $1.00 of mine money.

Enjoy the journey.

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:40 AM   #78

Trailer: none currently
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Perhaps I'm not clear. Bigfoot has prices on their website for units, in canadian dollars. Anyone can go up and purchase such and then import that item back to the USA, paying the $200 import fee similar to what Escape charges. Thus a nice equipped unit may cost me $45,000 cn or $30, 000USD.
But the dealers in the US, are selling the units for the same numerical amount $45,000 but in US dollars, or $15,000 more than what they paid for the item (less any import fees of course)
My understanding was Bigfoot didn't sell direct to buyers, they only sold through dealers. Or did you mean through Canadian dealers?

If they sell direct, that's great news!
Justforus is offline   Reply With Quote