Options and Modifications: Regrets... - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2009, 11:39 AM   #41

Re: Options and Modifications: Regrets...

Relevant/funny story - I'm currently in Mississippi - it wasn't until Wyoming that I realized I had left the now detached AC cable at home. Boon-docking anyone?

(besides my brain blooper - it is pretty convenient to have it only attached on the outside)
mosquitodirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:54 PM   #42

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Uh oh!!!!!
I am starting to think hard about that retractable spool idea.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:14 PM   #43

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna

You don't like the damp rag idea? Or perhaps some sort of hanger system to keep it off the ground? I do like the retractable idea, but one would want the cord in good shape in any event.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:24 PM   #44

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosquitodirk
Relevant/funny story - I'm currently in Mississippi - it wasn't until Wyoming that I realized I had left the now detached AC cable at home. Boon-docking anyone?

(besides my brain blooper - it is pretty convenient to have it only attached on the outside)
Yep, that's what I was thinking I'd do!!!! Like the retractable spool idea-
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 08:41 AM   #45

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

We decided to go with the detachable shore power cord. We live in the country and mice are a constant problem - so giving them one less potential way in sounds good to me! Also, our tow is a Tacoma, so we have plenty of space under the topper for storage. (The added cost is $135)

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 08:55 AM   #46

I would be inclined to keep it with the trailer. You know, just in case...........
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-12-2009, 09:28 AM   #47

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett
I would be inclined to keep it with the trailer. You know, just in case...........
Yah, but if the Escape is going somewhere without our Tacoma, then someone stole it!

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-12-2009, 09:44 AM   #48

Yes, but the truck could be somewhere the trailer isn't, with the cable in it. Long shot, but still possible.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:25 AM   #49

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: All...Not to "Monkey Up" the topic but while away down east this past July and breaking camp for a quick getaway, we inadvertantly hit the kill switch for the battery while shoving in the umbilical cord. I didn't realize it at first but the thought of cranking the landing gear by hand loomed large!!! BUT that won't happen again as I installed a cover over the switch so the cord can't kill us again.
Now I'm thinking of wiring the surge protector inside the trailer and a marine type power hookup outside.
We already have two power cords in case of a "Bald Moment". Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:33 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett
Yes, but the truck could be somewhere the trailer isn't, with the cable in it. Long shot, but still possible.
With my aging memory that is always a possibility. Knowing me - I will probably end up buying 2 cords for extra caution anyway.

Old 04-03-2016, 11:20 PM   #51

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
There's been a number of people on FiberglassRV that have put a Lightning Rod into the hot water heater. It allows either electric OR propane use. Here's a link to the item at Camping World:
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...r-heaters/5159

And for those that are members at FiberglassRV, here's a link to one of the member's topic that discusses the modification: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...opic=21398&hl=. Lots of good pictures and an easy to follow write-up!

Maybe if someone does the mod here on the EscapeForum, the person will do a detailed writeup with pictures too... that would be great!

I installed one of these today. The 600w model fits in my Suburban 6 gallon dsi. Works well, but takes an hour to heat up the tank.

Also discovered that there is a 120v receptacle in the fridge flue, where the fridge is plugged in. I plugged in the electrical heater element on the other available outlet. Could be helpful to know for folks who may be considering the outside 120v option on the driver side of the trailer.

Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 05:37 PM   #52

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
Muddy electric cord under dinnette???

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbgs View Post
Next time, we will have a marine plug put in for power, instead of the power cord that gets pushed into the storage bench under the dining table. The power cord gets grubby and that grub gets into the storage bench and means not much can be stored in that bench storage area.
This was written several years ago, is this still true in the new 21 foot trailer. We didn't opt for the removable cord.

Nancy
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 05:43 PM   #53
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
This was written several years ago, is this still true in the new 21 foot trailer. We didn't opt for the removable cord.

Nancy
Pushing in a wet and muddy or grubby power cord back inside the trailer, means (IMHO) someone is lazy. I always take a damp paper towel, lay it on my hand and wipe the cord off as it goes in the "mouse hole." (And I've never had a mouse or ants in my trailer either.) YMMV
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 05:47 PM   #54

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
And here is a picture of the area the cord goes into on my trailer, after eight years of use.
Attached Thumbnails
Cord 1.jpg  
Old 03-01-2017, 05:49 PM   #55

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Pushing in a wet and muddy or grubby power cord back inside the trailer, means (IMHO) someone is lazy. I always take a damp paper towel, lay it on my hand and wipe the cord off as it goes in the "mouse hole." (And I've never had a mouse or ants in my trailer either.) YMMV
Thanks Donna! So no worries! Will you be at the Appreciation Rally this May. I would like to meet you. I appreciate all your advice as well as others to so many of my questions.
Nancy
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 05:54 PM   #56
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
Thanks Donna! So no worries! Will you be at the Appreciation Rally this May. I would like to meet you. I appreciate all your advice as well as others to so many of my questions.
Nancy
No Nancy. I won't be at the rally this year. Taking a three-week trip in July. Dang budget anyway! The rally is a ton of fun and you're going to be a bunch of really great people
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 06:33 PM   #57

Trailer: 2016 21' Classic
I do the same thing Donna. Also, if the cord isn't dirty, just spray some 303 Protectant on paper towel and wipe cord the same way. It protects the cord and make sit slicker and easier to push back in under bench and less likely to get tangled.
titanizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:46 PM   #58
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I don't think storing a wet or muddy power cord is necessarily lazy - it might be that they had to break camp when it was raining heavily for example, and were trying to get it done in a hurry.

We didn't get the detachable cord during our build, but I added one later, which was quite easy to do. So, the power cord can go in the storage box, there's more room to store things under the bed in our 19, and no worries about if it's dirty or not.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:59 PM   #59

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
We don't even use it much, however that seems to be a low cost option worth it as you cannot do later for less.
We had the shove-in on our 17B previously and from that experience went for the detachable cord for the 21.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:26 PM   #60
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Our removable power cord is the last thing thrown into the front storage box. The area that would have been occupied by a connected cord is dedicated storage for a full size broom, dust pan, 120V vacuum cleaner, 12V fantastic fan, and coffee pot. I wasn't going to waste that big volume of space for a few inches high pile of cord on the floor.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote